• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
24 minutes ago, manetteska said:

So, I’m guessing I have to leave the pages like that and can’t cut them myself? Otherwise green label?

Gator probably knows, but I’ve always done well contacting CGC directly. And although I’ve never tried it, there’s an “Ask CGC” thread here on the boards: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/.

You're right; I will try there as well. Since Timely was also a grader, was checking with him as well.

20 minutes ago, manetteska said:

So, I’m guessing I have to leave the pages like that and can’t cut them myself? Otherwise green label?

Not sure it'll apply with your case because it looks there's a ton of uncut pages, but I do have a blue label 7.0 book that doesn't appear to have been punished on its grade for open Siamese pages, nor was it qualified.  The book looks like a 7.0 through the slab to me.  Granted I bought this slabbed so I don't know how neatly or by what manner the Siamese pages were opened.  Graders notes are as follows:

ight wear spine breaks color

open siamese pages top of page(s) 12 & 13

shadow full top of back cover

very small tear right bottom of front cover

Edited by szav
quoted wrong comment, swapped

2 hours ago, manetteska said:

If you cut them it will come back  trimmed if they see it. You can carefully tear them open by hand.

1 hour ago, cgriffith said:

How much would a dual autograph of Siegel & Schuster were on a GA, Superman how much hypothetically would it add to the value of that comic? 

If verified, I’d think quite a bit.  They both passed away in the 90’s, before the advent of holders, much less signing events.  So, Siegel & Shuster’s autographs as represented on graded books is bound to be less common than other GA creators of the era. The key to any autograph’s value is proper signature verification.  In a sense, the autographs become a part of provenance.  

I’m not sure what the current grading policy is on historic signatures.  Does the CGC verify signatures?  hm

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

If verified, I’d think quite a bit.  They both passed away in the 90’s, before the advent of holders, much less signing events.  So, Siegel & Shuster’s autographs as represented on graded books is bound to be less common than other GA creators of the era. The key to any autograph’s value is proper signature verification.  In a sense, the autographs become a part of provenance.  

I’m not sure what the current grading policy is on historic signatures.  Does the CGC verify signatures?  hm

No CGC still needs to see it, I believe. CBCS who uses Beckett on the other hand can see this occur because of their verification process through Beckett. I’ve actually come across a CBCs graded Superman #100 which CBCS verified Seigel and Shuster autos. Thank why I asked. I never seen it before, anywhere

Edited by cgriffith

3 hours ago, cgriffith said:

How much would a dual autograph of Siegel & Schuster were on a GA, Superman how much hypothetically would it add to the value of that comic? 

If you can find one...grab it

7 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

If you can find one...grab it

The owner, who's a good friend has it and (I want an estimate) of what FMV is for both thier signatures; excluding the book on top of that; He is a store owner as well; it's the first time we've both seen it happen (both signatures)

Edited by cgriffith
further clarification

4 minutes ago, cgriffith said:

The owner, who's a good friend has it and to me to give him a number (I want an estimate) of what FMV is for both thier signatures; excluding the book on top of that

My opinion is the value would be tied to what GA comic book it is....Superman #1 or Superman #68...how significant is that particular book in terms of GA/SA comic book collecting, and then of course what condition is the book restored or unrestored a lot of factors here to consider. 

Edited by Mmehdy

3 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

My opinion is the value would be tied to what GA comic book it is....Superman #1 or Superman #68...how significant is that particular book in terms of GA/SA comic book collecting, and then of course what condition is the book restored or unrestored a lot of factors here to consider. 

Action Comics #100 4.0

Edited by cgriffith

4 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Strong signatures and not faded and verified at least 2X...but value is very subjective, Superman #100 is a very strong choice.

It's an Action #100 I edited my previous post; The signatures are very legible and thier on the interior splash it's a CBCS book verfied by Beckett. I just want to know who much those two signatures are worth together.

Edited by cgriffith

3 minutes ago, cgriffith said:

It's an Action #100 I edited my previous post; The signatures are very legible and thier on the interior splash it's a CBCS book verfied by Beckett. I just want to know who much those two signatures are worth together.

$200

Just now, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I think that could be fairly interpreted as a "who the heck knows" answer.  Which I think is the correct answer, btw

Well, I used to have a nice framed piece That contained a paper signed by S&S Along with Reeves.  It was authenticated by Spence, and it contained a reprint of Action #1 and Superman #1, on each side of the paper.  I would post a pic but photobucket has my pictures hostage.  It sat in Gator's booth during NYCC with a price tag of around $400 and it didn't sell.   

Personally, the most I would spend on an Action #100 signed on the inside by S&S would be $200

2 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Well, I used to have a nice framed piece That contained a paper signed by S&S Along with Reeves.  It was authenticated by Spence, and it contained a reprint of Action #1 and Superman #1, on each side of the paper.  I would post a pic but photobucket has my pictures hostage.  It sat in Gator's booth during NYCC with a price tag of around $400 and it didn't sell.   

Personally, the most I would spend on an Action #100 signed on the inside by S&S would be $200

That is shocking to me.  Also makes me sad.

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That is shocking to me.  Also makes me sad.

I should add, $200 premium for the sigs, not $200 for the book.