• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, Timely said:
22 hours ago, manetteska said:

So, I’m guessing I have to leave the pages like that and can’t cut them myself? Otherwise green label?

If you cut them it will come back  trimmed if they see it. You can carefully tear them open by hand.

And that is the dumbest thing in the entire world of grading.

22 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
23 hours ago, manetteska said:

So, I’m guessing I have to leave the pages like that and can’t cut them myself? Otherwise green label?

Gator probably knows, but I’ve always done well contacting CGC directly. And although I’ve never tried it, there’s an “Ask CGC” thread here on the boards: https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/.

They don't know, either:

5 hours ago, cgriffith said:

How much would a dual autograph of Siegel & Schuster were on a GA, Superman how much hypothetically would it add to the value of that comic? 

That would be upto the seller. I’ve seen signed copies have $250 added and I’ve seen others ask for the moon 

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

Well, I used to have a nice framed piece That contained a paper signed by S&S Along with Reeves.  It was authenticated by Spence, and it contained a reprint of Action #1 and Superman #1, on each side of the paper.  I would post a pic but photobucket has my pictures hostage.  It sat in Gator's booth during NYCC with a price tag of around $400 and it didn't sell.   

Personally, the most I would spend on an Action #100 signed on the inside by S&S would be $200

Yep. I remember. 

43 minutes ago, manetteska said:

They don't know, either:

I’ve never seen trimmed notation but I trust west knows what he’s talking about. 

I had a Siamese book once and I just swiped quickly with my fingers to relieve the togetherness. 

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:
46 minutes ago, manetteska said:

They don't know, either:

I’ve never seen trimmed notation but I trust west knows what he’s talking about. 

I had a Siamese book once and I just swiped quickly with my fingers to relieve the togetherness. 

I have done the same -- on accident -- with a small section where two "pages" were stuck together.

This is a good portion of several pages. I'm guessing I could do it, but the end result won't look pretty. I am going to leave it alone for now.

18 hours ago, comicdonna said:

Sorry it was Kirk Alyn not Reeves. The Spence sticker is visible on the bottom of the paper.

framed superman peice 2.jpg

Framed superman piece.jpg

Big difference between Alyn and Reeves price wise. Reeves died early and didn’t sign nearly as much as Alyn who did the con circuit for years. Siegel and Schuster signed quite a bit. 

When considering the value for a signed comic, you have to consider several things. First the book it’s self. The significance of it and the condition without the autograph. Then you consider what the autograph is worth by it’s self. Many creators rarely signed and many did a lot. Someone like Lou Fine rarely signed. Someone like Kirby signed a lot. Stan Lee...

Add them together and a little bump if it is noteworthy and the autograph is strong. If there are several autographs, it goes for a little more. 

At the end of the day, it’s like anything. Value is based on what someone will pay. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Big difference between Alyn and Reeves price wise. Reeves died early and didn’t sign nearly as much as Alyn who did the con circuit for years. Siegel and Schuster signed quite a bit. 

When considering the value for a signed comic, you have to consider several things. First the book it’s self. The significance of it and the condition without the autograph. Then you consider what the autograph is worth by it’s self. Many creators rarely signed and many did a lot. Someone like Lou Fine rarely signed. Someone like Kirby signed a lot. Stan Lee...

Add them together and a little bump if it is noteworthy and the autograph is strong. If there are several autographs, it goes for a little more. 

At the end of the day, it’s like anything. Value is based on what someone will pay. 

I got Dean Cain to sign my Action 1. 

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Would that be similar premise to the Siegel signed DF comics offered years ago?

03D5387F-A9B9-4C16-9564-1B008B5C40F6.png

On 6/8/2020 at 12:32 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 6/8/2020 at 12:29 PM, comicdonna said:

Well, I used to have a nice framed piece That contained a paper signed by S&S Along with Reeves.  It was authenticated by Spence, and it contained a reprint of Action #1 and Superman #1, on each side of the paper.  I would post a pic but photobucket has my pictures hostage.  It sat in Gator's booth during NYCC with a price tag of around $400 and it didn't sell.   

Personally, the most I would spend on an Action #100 signed on the inside by S&S would be $200

That is shocking to me.  Also makes me sad.

If I were selling it, I'd add much more than $200 for the two sigs.

18 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

Would that be similar premise to the Siegel signed DF comics offered years ago?

03D5387F-A9B9-4C16-9564-1B008B5C40F6.png

Yes. This is a reprint. In it’s self not worth a whole lot. It was a “created collectible” with tons of signed copies offered. This is a case where the signature is obviously worth more than the book. A very cool piece none the less and very worthy to have in anyone’s collection. 

59 minutes ago, waaaghboss said:

Kind of a dumb question, but...

Say I have a comic with a pretty strong moldy smell, even when bagged.  Is there any chance this mold can spread to other bagged books if I put them all in the same box?

Old mold probably not but why take the chance? The smell will probably permanate the others anyway. Moldy books are my biggest no no as well as brittle. Most everything else can be a possability depending on the book.

I would break up with that moldy book ASSP!

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I got this undisclosed moldy book from a very reputable eBay dealer. I didn’t even look through it once I saw this. Back it went the next day...

E75E0CDA-CDC5-43CB-A1FC-E2F3A3EF61F2.jpeg

As well it should.