• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Dear Gator,

Has Tec #31 surpassed Batman #1 in FMV?

Currently, what are the Top-10 most valuable GA books?

not even close. Batman 1 in 5.0 would be about 180-200k and tec 31 in 5.0 about 125... as an example.

Too 10 ga books still much the same (this list in no particular order)

Action 1

Tec27

Superman 1

Batman 1

Cap 1

Marvel 1

Action 7

Tec 31

Last 2 there are bunch of potential candidates but I like all star 8 and whiz 2(1) moving forward

Dear Gator,

not even close. Batman 1 in 5.0 would be about 180-200k and tec 31 in 5.0 about 125... as an example.

Action 1

Tec27

Superman 1

Batman 1

Cap 1

Marvel 1

Action 7

Tec 31

do you see the margin narrowing between supe1 / bat1? (cf. the heritage sale)

Edited by Mr. 10%

Now onto a question for me. I know you have an affinity for everything Mego, I know you love some Terrific 5 and Whiz 22. I also have seen you post that you have a few really neat Heshka's. What's your stance on OA? Not really from an investment standpoint I'm just curious is that something you are into as well? I've seen a ton of pieces go off the auction blocks and i'm trying to follow it but it's just so random with so much out there it's hard to get into for me. Sure there are pieces here and there that i think Wow that's really cool but i'm just wondering because i've heard OA is the obvious stepping stone from GA but i'm just not sure that's going to be my path.

+1

Not a stepping stone for me as I have been staying with GA for years now.

Absolutely no interest in OA at all as there is just so much out there. (shrug)

They are one of kind items. :sumo:

Dear Gator,

Action 1

Tec27

Superman 1

Batman 1

Cap 1

Marvel 1

Action 7

Tec 31

Last 2 there are bunch of potential candidates but I like all star 8 and whiz 2(1) moving forward

Gator, I'm wondering where you would rank Pep 22 and Archie 1 (as well as Flash Comics 1 and All American 16). Are none of those even close to "Top 10" worthy?

-J.

I think Pep #22 is arguably a top 10 book. It's on part with Action #7 and Tec #31 but sales happen to rarely it's tough to plot a trajectory, especially in this market where everything seems impossible to predict.

But if past sales are any indicator, it's a top 10 book .

Archie #1 is a bit more common.

Dear Gator,

Action 1

Tec27

Superman 1

Batman 1

Cap 1

Marvel 1

Action 7

Tec 31

Gator, I'm wondering where you would rank Pep 22 and Archie 1 (as well as Flash Comics 1 and All American 16). Are none of those even close to "Top 10" worthy?

-J.

the Pep 22 would be one of those "potential" candidates...

books like archie 1, flash 1 and aa 16 and adv 40 and mf 52, would be top 20 somewhere, I suspect

I think Pep #22 is arguably a top 10 book. It's on part with Action #7 and Tec #31 but sales happen to rarely it's tough to plot a trajectory, especially in this market where everything seems impossible to predict.

I think grade for grade a tec 31 and action 7 would out perform pep 22, but likely not by much...that's why I would consider it a "top 10" book...I just chose 2 books (as8 and whiz 1) that I think are still due for larger pricing increases... not sure pep 22 will have a "large" increase relatively speaking, over next few years

I think grade for grade a tec 31 and action 7 would out perform pep 22, but likely not by much...that's why I would consider it a "top 10" book...I just chose 2 books (as8 and whiz 1) that I think are still due for larger pricing increases... not sure pep 22 will have a "large" increase relatively speaking, over next few years

so you see whiz 1 spiking as we approach movie release ...?

Dear Gator,

Action 1

Tec27

Superman 1

Batman 1

Cap 1

Marvel 1

Action 7

Tec 31

-J.

the Pep 22 would be one of those "potential" candidates...

books like archie 1, flash 1 and aa 16 and adv 40 and mf 52, would be top 20 somewhere, I suspect

(thumbs u Thank you for the rundown.

-J.

so you see whiz 1 spiking as we approach movie release ...?

yes...demand for the big red cheese is on the upswing

Stray thought: Given how WW II cover Peps have been soaring, I wonder whether Pep 22's value is now more from the cover than from being the first Archie? hm

Stray thought: Given how WW II cover Peps have been soaring, I wonder whether Pep 22's value is now more from the cover than from being the first Archie? hm

I doubt it (shrug)

Dear Gator,

+1

I strongly doubt we'll ever see the day that the valuation on a 'Tec 31 passes Batman 1 when measured on an equivalent condition basis.

Although 'Tec 31 does indeed have the classic Batman cover, it should be pointed out that Bats 1 also has an iconic cover on its own. Plus from a pure content point of view, it is probably the top GA book out there. (thumbs u

I doubt it (shrug)

Without a doubt from my point of view as these Church copies of the pre-Archie Pep books sold for only $25K to $35K a pop, and not in the $500K+ price range that the Church copy of Pep 22 would have sold for.

I doubt it (shrug)

Without a doubt from my point of view as these Church copies of the pre-Archie Pep books sold for only $25K to $35K a pop, and not in the $500K+ price range that the Church copy of Pep 22 would have sold for.

#'s 16, 17 and 20 nosed out the others by a few grand: A more and more appreciated 1st appearance (17) an already recognized 'classic' cover (20) and a newly minted rising classic (16) -yes i've got a horse in that race, but that was some significant finish for #16 imho.

#'s 16, 17 and 20 nosed out the others by a few grand: A more and more appreciated 1st appearance (17) an already recognized 'classic' cover (20) and a newly minted rising classic (16) -yes i've got a horse in that race, but that was some significant finish for #16 imho.

The 20 was the one I had my eye on ... and an eye was about all it was, given where it finished! :D

The first thing that comes to most every collector when asked about pep 22 is

A)first Archie

B) classic war cover

My guess is A by an overwhelming %

Yeah, you're undoubtedly right. Do love the cover, though. Such a tough book. Never owned a copy.