• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I’ve had a great 45+ year run of collecting ...but with my main mego case compromised (thank goodness I sold the other case of dupes last year) it made me realize its time to divest myself of as much as is not necessary for us. 

Oh no, how much of your mego's were lost?

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Definitely appreciated... and I wanted out of here the hour after the storm. Problem is I can’t leave. Too, too much to do and continuously do. 

once a collector always a  collector.....and the old saying "when the times are tough, the tough get tougher...that applies to you...go get them tiger

1 hour ago, HighRadArt said:

I'm sure this has been discussed but megos?

I think his Megos were his nest-egg of MIB investment grade collectible toys.  When his case was compromised by the storm I'm pretty sure that the MIB status was toast.  The value of a lot of collectible toys is in the mint condition unopened packaging.   At least this is my take on it.

18 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

When you long for it to be late enough to sleep and then find yourself barely able to get 3-4 hours , your mind runs through scenarios. To put my family in the best possible position sacrifices for the future will Be made. I’ve had a great 45+ year run of collecting ...but with my main mego case compromised (thank goodness I sold the other case of dupes last year) it made me realize its time to divest myself of as much as is not necessary for us. 

I will still continue doing some conventions and my love for the medium won’t change , but my collecting will. 

Over and over I hear folks talk about “at least we are ok” “at least we are alive” and I honestly  never considered the danger ...changes perspective on things  

Peace

I remember Bedrock's hurricane-caused troubles and how that led him to sell his MC 1.  I don't know how folks live in Hurricane zones these days.  But, I guess those folks might feel the same way about living in a city vulnerable to Earthquakes. I've only felt one in 30 years in SF, though.  And it seems like powerful Hurricanes are an increasing risk (thanks climate change).  I remember reading that Verzyl and some other dealers pulled up stakes and moved out of SoCal after there had been a riot which led to a neighbor shop being burned to the ground.  They must have been worried about the risk.  That seems a little precious now, as no one is worrying about riot caused arson any more in So Cal.  So maybe you can overdo the reaction to store threatening risks.  But, from where I sit, this hurricane thing seems like it will be a constant risk that you have to address one way or another.

8 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I remember Bedrock's hurricane-caused troubles and how that led him to sell his MC 1.  I don't know how folks live in Hurricane zones these days.  But, I guess those folks might feel the same way about living in a city vulnerable to Earthquakes. I've only felt one in 30 years in SF, though.  And it seems like powerful Hurricanes are an increasing risk (thanks climate change).  I remember reading that Verzyl and some other dealers pulled up stakes and moved out of SoCal after there had been a riot which led to a neighbor shop being burned to the ground.  They must have been worried about the risk.  That seems a little precious now, as no one is worrying about riot caused arson any more in So Cal.  So maybe you can overdo the reaction to store threatening risks.  But, from where I sit, this hurricane thing seems like it will be a constant risk that you have to address one way or another.

I now have 2 friends, one from Texas and one from Florida now living here in California due to last years storms. One lost their home in Texas the other suffered enough damage to theirs in Florida that they had enough. You are right in your comment about the hurricane’s strength, frequency and hitting areas not usually hit becoming more common in the future as climate change continues. Florida  is going to continue to “sink” in parts which is another problem in that state.

Edited by N e r V

On 10/24/2018 at 8:31 PM, G.A.tor said:

I’ve enjoyed the boards for 16+ years. That won’t change at all. It’s nice to surround yourself with like minded folks, and I’ve made many great friends via these hallowed internet halls

let me preface I am not in any financial dire. I’ve always collected with 100% disposable income and have long said if you can’t afford to lose it all, don’t risk it 

that said, when you see the loss and devastation and have to experience what the past 2 weeks have been for me, it is a life changing situation. 

I am appreciative to all!

So so sorry to be reading this about maybe the #1 best dude on these Boards

you do not deserve this Rick

i truly wish you and your family the best

Fish

Edited by fishbone

16 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

How are you making out, Rick?

Every day gets better in some respects

My typical day now is 

get up 530am

leave beach by 545 to get into town by 7am (any later and the traffic issues compound exponentially, and our home is unlivable)

7-930 work in removing debris from houses/yard

10-2 working store

3-6 coach hs basketball

6-7 more debris work 

7-8 eat something somewhere in town

8-9 drive back to condo on beach

shower and go to bed to get up and repeat next day

Edited by G.A.tor

6 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

:idea:Get the basketball team to pitch in cleaning the yard. It's a great workout and maybe they can get life credits at school!

If only

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, N e r V said:

I now have 2 friends, one from Texas and one from Florida now living here in California due to last years storms. One lost their home in Texas the other suffered enough damage to theirs in Florida that they had enough. You are right in your comment about the hurricane’s strength, frequency and hitting areas not usually hit becoming more common in the future as climate change continues. Florida  is going to continue to “sink” in parts which is another problem in that state.

without getting into what states have better this or that, or other advantages/disadvantages of living in any given place, I know a lot of people from other places fear the earthquakes in California.  But as natural disasters, the risk of the extremely rare (and even far rarer serious) earthquakes in California is far more palatable (even as someone who lived through the 1989 World Series Earthquake) than the increasingly regular threat of hurricanes for those living along the gulf coast.  I would say to anyone considering moving to CA (or the west coast) for whatever reason but having earthquake reservations to pretty much disregard the earthquake issue (there's plenty of reasons to NOT LIVE and also TO LIVE IN California). 

*In related news, there's very few things more hilarious to native Californians than watching people from other places freak out at their first minor earthquake tremors.

@G.A.tor We've only met a couple of times, but I was just able to read about your experience over the last couple of weeks and I wanted to say how sorry I am for what you and your family and neighbors have had to endure. I know that these are just words piled on top of weeks of other words, but I'm sending my best vibes your way sir.