• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

If you have time Gator and you feel like doing so could you please tell the worst story you have about someone coming in to sell drek (but they think it's their kids college tuition), you declining and their reaction. A thread over in General got me thinking of this. For whatever reason I never tire of hearing these "breaking bad news to comic collector" stories. It's my guilty pleasure. Thanks. 

Edited by NoMan

55 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I agree. Lived on the east coast for a bit and been to all 50 states to know the one thing I never miss in the “cold” states is their weather. Snow is fun for about a week or two then it’s not.

Best to live in a state IMO where I can visit snow without living in it...

I agree. The older I get, the cold just goes right through me. And the option is just about as bad or worse, hot and humid. Sweating suks.

I'd rather live where I have plenty of options within driving distance. 

49 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I agree. The older I get, the cold just goes right through me. And the option is just about as bad or worse, hot and humid. Sweating suks.

I'd rather live where I have plenty of options within driving distance. 

You have rust to consider too, robot man...:devil:

53B4AA94-D5E0-4B17-8C5C-4D06EC3BE2C9.jpeg.09d762bf30625ca570349a4f7072eb38.jpeg

3 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

One that happened fairly recently. 

A nice lady says she has a box of very valuable comics in her trunk she wants to sell. They are her sons and he’s Away from home but says it’s time to sell. 

In my store we actually have 10/$1 boxes. Full of old valiants, defiant, topps some image and the likes. It’s just books no one in this area wants or collects. 

So I go to her trunk and retrieve her long box and take in the store. I open it up and immediately the mind races to “have to explain this again”

out of curiosity I ask her how much she wants for the box. She calls her son and puts on speaker and he says a store should be able to get $20k so try for $15k. But take 12k at the least. 

Now there are 250 comics , 100% of which I sell 10/$1.  They are worthless to me. I couldn’t even pay $5 for the box because already have multiples of unsold issues. 

I politely explain this and offer to take box back to her car.  She seems shocked. She calls her son (again on speaker ) telling him “the guy says they are not even worth $10”. The son goes off on a profanity laced tirade about how I’m trying to rip her off, what a scum bag I am etc. 

after she hangs up I politely remind her I’m not trying to rip her off because I can’t/won’t buy. 

She cant believe it and questions my offer again. “Can’t I even do $1,000?”

so I tell her to randomly pick out 10-20 issues. And then I proceed to take her to my 10/$1 boxes and show her multiples of each and every comic she pulled. “Are you sure these are the same”..so I put side by side, show her the indices etc. 

i think after a few minutes I finally convince her I’m being truthful etc. 

i carry the box back to her call and she calls her son and all I hear her say to her son is “you are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person making me come here”...

true story

thanks. i simply can't believe people are this delusional. as in, where are they getting their information it's worth 20k? How can someone just pull something out their a** and think it's a fact? How? How? How, I ask you. 

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
3 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

How many snowmen are you going to be making this winter? How often will Jack Frost be nipping at your nose? How often will the weather outside be frightful while the fire inside is delightful? 

None of the above...:banana:  I hate snow and frost, and I'm afraid of frightful weather...

I remember some years ago getting caught in a sudden ice storm (it had not been in the forecast).  I realized I would have to creep home for several miles along the (untreated) highway.  Had a couple of my then very young kids in the car.  Of course, the first thing one of them said was, "Daddy, I have to go the bathroom." 

If you have boys, an empty Gatorade bottle, and an extra set of parental hands, it's pretty easy to MacGyver a solution to that problem. If you don't have a bottle, or just boys, then it might get a bit tougher to MacGyver a solution to that problem.

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

thanks. i simply can't believe people are this delusional. as in, where are they getting their information it's worth 20k? How can someone just pull something out their a** and think it's a fact? How? How? How, I ask you. 

Ebay!  Probably DTAs books...lol

I am at a place where I don’t even offer people money. I just tell them I either already have what they are offering or I don’t collect it. Most ask what it is worth and I refer them to Ebay but tell them to be careful on condition and a quick google search of comic book grading should help them. I quit giving prices because they invariably expect me to pay that amount. I let one guy shame me into giving him a number for three short boxes so I said $20. He said sold. I tried to explain I wasn’t really interested in them even at $20. I still have those three boxes today ...

:whatthe:i bought those books in 1999 

Edited by batman_fan

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I am at a place where I don’t even offer people money. I just tell them I either already have what they are offering or I don’t collect it. Most ask what it is worth and I refer them to Ebay but tell them to be careful on condition and a quick google search of comic book grading should help them. I quit giving prices because they invariably expect me to pay that amount. I let one guy shame me into giving him a number for three short boxes so I said $20. He said sold. I tried to explain I wasn’t really interested in them even at $20. I still have those three boxes today ...

:whatthe:i bought those books in 1999 

I buy them from you for 30.00 but you have to add a Mint Formula 51 in the box you know my address :whistle:

7 hours ago, NoMan said:

Human nature ...

On 11/1/2018 at 12:23 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Pftttt...I'm a reptile enthusiast and I turn rocks and other stuff looking for critters.  I see lots of scorpions, but they don't bother you if you don't bother them.  The last time i got a scorpion sting was when I lived in CA and accidentally washed one that had crawled into my pants.  The dead scorpion stung me when I put them on.  LOL  It didn't even hurt as much as a bee sting. 

It's also nice to drive around AZ and NOT have to wash your windshield every hour due to smashed bugs on it. Yes, I've been to Florida many times...the only good months are February and March. :whatthe:

I also like Missouri D Stuart...but only in April and early May.  You can have your chiggars...and all the other no-see-ems in your woods...lol

Indeed! The ticks have just been awful the last several years.  Hope this winter is particularly brutal to knock them back a bit.