• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comicdonna said:

Sheer determination on your part Rick, saved the store.  Nicely done.    

Ty...probably short lived as the shopping center complex we are in was built in the 80s and has enough damage that it will have to be rebuilt in its entirety to code. So at some future point we will be “out”. Whether permanently or temp don’t know, so I gotta sell it all now just in case!!

32 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Ty...probably short lived as the shopping center complex we are in was built in the 80s and has enough damage that it will have to be rebuilt in its entirety to code. So at some future point we will be “out”. Whether permanently or temp don’t know, so I gotta sell it all now just in case!!

Hey Rick, would you keep doing cons if the store closes?  It is really sad when stuff like this happens.

11 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

One reality that hits hard after the devastation the storm put on us is that your priorities and perspectives change. 

When you lose your home, your belongings, potentially your business, you come to realize just how fragile and short life can be

perhaps my most painful decision is that I realized as much as I love this hobby of collecting comics and toys and such, when you face certain adversities , and your future is altered , the past becomes just a memory and you have to focus on what’s most important moving forward  

I lost some important pieces in my collection to the results of the hurricane and realize that while I’ve always touted to only collect with disposable income, to be ready for your collection to be monetarily “worthless” at the drop of a hat, at least you’d still have that collection To enjoy. 

My life moving forward will no longer include me collecting comics or toys. In fact, I will be selling my entire collection over the coming months. 

Some of my full runs (like centaurs and others) will be auctioned this year.  Some of my key comics will be sold at shows/cons ... (please dont pm or call or text me asking for stuff now , I have way to much to deal with right now to go down that road at this point )

i will still be active in the hobby buying and selling at shows and maybe even online again (here, Instagram, eBay, my website) but I have decided I will no longer be collecting. 

It makes me sad, it’s painful but it’s the right decision for me. 

God bless

You're a great guy, Rick.... with a fantastic work ethic. Whatever choices you make going forward will be met with success. I just wish there was more I could do to help. GOD BLESS....

=jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Even in my short nearly 5 years as a Boardie, I have seen what a pillar you are in the hobby.

It's sad a natural disaster played a part in this, and I'm sure it was an agonizing experience to have come to your conclusion, but you seem prepared. 

Godspeed, and here's to a speedy road to recovery 

49 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

@G.A.tor  (((Rick))) as someone who has been through a few life changing experiences over the past 10 years, including hurricanes, I'm going to say, don't make final decisions now. Give yourself some space to decide later. You must be exhausted and there are too many emotional things going on now. Maybe collect on a smaller scale later on, maybe not...but don't box yourself in and sell everything you love that is left right away, pace yourself.

In any case, you've inspired me to get hurricane windows. :foryou:

When you fill up 4 dumpsters full of cool product  , there’s nothing hasty about the decision. Seeing my dads first day of issue stamps he left me ruined, or my heshka painting stuck to the glass and water soaked, or my recently acquired third light silver surfer puzzle, or my former moc Megos soaked ...its enough  

A very small Part is a financial decision. Major Part is my desire to not own “things” (not just collectibles )...it  is a Zero right now. 

I have no home/space right now to store my stuff. There is no available safe storage facilities anywhere in the area. I’ve talked with vinny at metro/cc and he’s going to assist with the movement at auction of my centaurs to start. And then I will proceed from there  

But I appreciate all the well wishes and offers of assistance!! Smiles have been hard to come by lately and know it’s helped 

9 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

When you fill up 4 dumpsters full of cool product  , there’s nothing hasty about the decision. Seeing my dads first day of issue stamps he left me ruined, or my heshka painting stuck to the glass and water soaked, or my recently acquired third light silver surfer puzzle, or my former moc Megos soaked ...its enough  

A very small Part is a financial decision. Major Part is my desire to not own “things” (not just collectibles )...it  is a Zero right now. 

I have no home/space right now to store my stuff. There is no available safe storage facilities anywhere in the area. I’ve talked with vinny at metro/cc and he’s going to assist with the movement at auction of my centaurs to start. And then I will proceed from there  

But I appreciate all the well wishes and offers of assistance!! Smiles have been hard to come by lately and know it’s helped 

During hurricane Sandy, I lost everything that was stored in my almost all above ground basement, all my childhood treasures, keepsakes, many photos, not even comics, but family treasures. As you might remember, we were on the top of a big hill, the highest point in the town, NO ONE expected to have 18 inches of water downstairs. My mother had just passed away days before, I lost almost all the pictures I had of her, my father, grandmother. Things I had kept from when I was a kid. Things I had kept for my daughter. I couldn't even go down there to rescue things because there was no electricity for portable pumps, but there were things plugged in and if the electric went back on, I'd be in trouble.

We had no electricity for more than 2 weeks, and that was in a suburb of NYC, where no one ever worried about that stuff. But people in a house behind me died, so I was grateful. There was mold, walls had to be ripped out (for the 2nd time)..all the furniture had to be trashed, but everything got fixed eventually.

Things happen in life, other things happened as well, but I know how emotional even calm people like you can be. Whatever you decide I wish you the best, just go slowly, things change for the better.

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

Whatever brings you and your family the least amount of stress and the most amount of happiness is the right choice.

You have 15 years of history on the boards with some great insight on the hobby and I don’t think anyone could give you enough goodwill in a terrible life experience you’ve had.

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I can totally relate, Rick.   Owning "things" isn't that important to me anymore, since the fire 8 years ago.  Same goes for my wife.  She made it out of the house she lived in for 50 years with her wedding rings, pajamas, boots and a coat.  She had a lot of stuff, too.  Including her mom's stuff and deceased fathers collectibles/stuff.  I was glad I made 2 trips back in to save most of my Actions.  When the time come, I didn't hesitate to sell every one, so we could have a new house.  Priorities.  

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

i know what you mean ... comics and almost all other collectibles are so fragile and susceptible to many pitfalls..

except for coins ,... my first love is coins and they can withstand almost everything and anything , a vault of coins in the basement of the world trade center survived just fine when the towers collapsed (they sell for more now because of that) , 

maybe if the collecting bug ever draws you back you can try coins

i feel just like Rick does now about personal collections and i didn't even go though a hurricane

sometimes i wish i didn't have any collectibles , especially my comics because they take up so much room ,.. sometimes i wish i my house was completely empty except for the furniture , clothes and other basic household items.....

Edited by 1950's war comics

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:03 AM, G.A.tor said:

One reality that hits hard after the devastation the storm put on us is that your priorities and perspectives change. 

When you lose your home, your belongings, potentially your business, you come to realize just how fragile and short life can be

perhaps my most painful decision is that I realized as much as I love this hobby of collecting comics and toys and such, when you face certain adversities , and your future is altered , the past becomes just a memory and you have to focus on what’s most important moving forward  

I lost some important pieces in my collection to the results of the hurricane and realize that while I’ve always touted to only collect with disposable income, to be ready for your collection to be monetarily “worthless” at the drop of a hat, at least you’d still have that collection To enjoy. 

My life moving forward will no longer include me collecting comics or toys. In fact, I will be selling my entire collection over the coming months. 

Some of my full runs (like centaurs and others) will be auctioned this year.  Some of my key comics will be sold at shows/cons ... (please dont pm or call or text me asking for stuff now , I have way to much to deal with right now to go down that road at this point )

i will still be active in the hobby buying and selling at shows and maybe even online again (here, Instagram, eBay, my website) but I have decided I will no longer be collecting. 

It makes me sad, it’s painful but it’s the right decision for me. 

God bless

Rick.

Try not make any decision on your collection unless you have no choice. Making decision this fast in a moment of panic is not the best thing to do unless you have No other option. I did this when I wanted to buy a house when market was down. I sold my Tec 3-4 Nice coverless 27 vg/f 38  Superman 1 Action 2 5 7 10 Cap 1 vg/f unrestored all 12 of my Fantasy 15's. I later realized Things that took me 30 years to get I sold on a panic month and I never really needed to sell.  I have been after a copy of Action 7 since 2013 the Tec 27 coverless  Tec 38 and Sup 1 Cap 1 Fantasy 15 don't come easy after the sale I had. Remember you can make money every day your books (tsk) Best of luck to you.

PS I have never been in the spot you are in. We had the fires last year less than a mile from my house and I was going back and forth should I pack or wait. I waited but if it hit my house all would be gone and I think I would have never collected again so if you need some help PM me I do what I can for you.

Edited by woowoo