• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Nothing ever happens until the final 3 minutes, so try not to torture yourself

It’s not the ending prices ...I know I was big part of centaur auction prices and I know with me out of bidding, my expectations are subdued. It’s that the journey collecting them, upgrading , enjoying them, is over 

5 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

The CC auction will be epic. You should be very proud of putting together all those Centaurs and your epic thread will be marveled at for as long as the boards exist. Placed a ton of tracking bids but that A-Man 22 is already out of sight. 

Cool. Ty

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

It’s not the ending prices ...I know I was big part of centaur auction prices and I know with me out of bidding, my expectations are subdued. It’s that the journey collecting them, upgrading , enjoying them, is over 

What a scary emptiness that must be.  All collectors, large and small, have to contemplate this decision sooner or later.  From what i can tell, some sell off(like Jon Berk), and somehow make the adjustment.  Some avoid that emptiness and leave it to their heirs to sort out.  I’ll be in the first category, so you are a few steps ahead of me on the path.

But what a ride it was . . .

8 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Feeling a little queasy as I was reminded the comic connect auction began today and I told myself I wouldn’t look. 

I know how you feel but in the end all will turn out for the better.The collection you put together is something to be proud of and in the end we can't take it with us.I think we will all be watching this one as close as Jon Berks :popcorn:

1 hour ago, comicjack said:

I know how you feel but in the end all will turn out for the better.The collection you put together is something to be proud of and in the end we can't take it with us.I think we will all be watching this one as close as Jon Berks :popcorn:

:wishluck:

10 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Feeling a little queasy as I was reminded the comic connect auction began today and I told myself I wouldn’t look. 

Man,that's gotta be kind of rough.  I would be the same way if I were to bring my Hitler cover collection to auction.  Hopefully, the results will be  impressive.  Wishing you the best, Rick.

2 hours ago, walclark said:

Man,that's gotta be kind of rough.  I would be the same way if I were to bring my Hitler cover collection to auction.  Hopefully, the results will be  impressive.  Wishing you the best, Rick.

Ty

22 minutes ago, telerites said:

Nothing I could hope to bid on but it will be fun to watch, especially the Centaurs.  Good luck, Rick but my guess is they will do great.

:wishluck:

7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

As I recall you have done this twice now...you could make it three times...Rick the collection looks great and CC catalog does it justice...you are not out of the game forever, just temporary and there are many collector hills left to climb for you. Just don't keep all your eggs in on basket on location, you should diversify locations and have a duplex etc in another state and rent one side out and always have a back up for the future, I hope part of the funds that come from this sale will enable you to do that. You also might consider trading up and selling a large amount to get a top graded top tier book...which can be put in a safety deposit box while you are at and have the ability to do it. Good luck, I am sure you will do fine on the sale.

Yep kudos to CC for making the catalog of your books look great as well as the pictures, descriptions, etc.  What a collection indeed to put together, a feat that would probably take an eternity to complete.  It's really hard for me to see too that your Centaur collection is up for auction.  I know how much you enjoyed the thrill of the hunt for each book and how much you enjoyed them.  But if this is the best decision for you and your family to go down this route, so be it. I understand completely.  At least you still have the memories, pictures, etc. you can always keep to yourself.  

On a more jokingly note...  You can still pull the plug out on your Centaur collection in case you change your mind :baiting:  Just don't wait until the final days of closing :bigsmile:

On 2/19/2019 at 9:35 AM, woowoo said:

@G.A.tor  I have sold huge parts of  my personal collection cheap just so my family could have a better house and better life (thumbsu Cap 1 unrestored VG solid.  Action 7 and 2  Sup1 Bat 1 all gone :sorry:

It Hurt to sell these but there is No Better collection than Family they are number 1. Take great pride on that. Wish you and your family the best.

I have done the same thing. No regrets. Family comes first. Good luck with the sale. Watch them go down and smile Rick. You had all that fun collecting them and now you get to see what they bring. I suspect you will be happy with the final result and the money will go to good use. You can always go back and re buy some of your favorites when life gets back to normal. Good luck with the sale!