• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scud: The Disposable Assassin

65 posts in this topic

I love Scud.  This is one of those books and creators that made going to cons in the 90's so much fun (I include David Lapham with Stray Bullets and the Chaos Comics guys in this).  Rob and his gang were always awesome to talk to and very kind to the fans.  I haven't read the series in a bit but now I want to and can only imagine how well it holds up to expectations.  I had a sweet leather jacket with original art from Rob (scud) Steven Hughes (smiley) and Eric Talbot (a wicked skull) that was sadly stolen from my car shortly after the art was drawn, I'm still bummed over that 25 years later.

I'm curious if anyone has any info on Scud ashcans.  I have 2, one for issue 5 (signed and numbered 51) and one for issue 6 (signed and numbered 84)  I'd be interested if there were more and how many were made of each.

IMG_1945.jpeg

IMG_1946.jpeg

Scud #1 FN has 17 watchers @ $100 & a 9.8 has 20 watchers @ $1,895.  :whistle:(shrug)

If it's money you want, the series appears to have fans willing to pay.  If it's a storyline you want, you will not find much better. If it's an independent comic publisher #1 you're seeking, Fireman press fits the bill.

But I know, you're saying, "whetteon, I want interesting, unique, one of a kind covers".

image.thumb.jpeg.faec378499fb7234d97321272b7b1fc8.jpeg

How cool is that?

But you say, "whetteon. I want a comic that has something done 1st here"

image.thumb.jpeg.ead271655b01d922c032dc4808a13c71.jpeg

1st action figure cover!!!

"yeah, but I need absolutely hard to find variant covers so I can show off and know the other comic nerds will never have what I gots"

image.thumb.jpeg.acc6834d15adc74562d9d836eb612cdc.jpeg

Limited to 250 copies.

"But whetteon, I don't want a collection that is too big and I can never buy all the issues"

It's only 24 issues. 

But still crickets huh? :wavingwhiteflag:

Edited by whetteon

On 11/17/2010 at 10:50 AM, whetteon said:

Here's a list of the print runs I've managed to pull from various sources (special thanks to Comichron.com)

Scud 1 2nd print 2860 ?

Scud 6 2321

Scud 8 2400

Scud 14 8892

Scud 15 9673

Scud 16 10243

Scud 17 10534

Scud 18 10842

Scud 19 10707

Scud 21 6851

Scud 22 6122

Scud 23 5967

Scud 24 5977

Scud The Disposable Assassin The Whole Shebang (Firepress) 2713

Scud The Disposable Assassin The Whole Shebang (Image) 704

Scud tales from the vending machine #1 10398

Scud tales from the vending machine #2 8720

Scud tales from the vending machine #3 8106

Scud tales from the vending machine #5 6492

Wizard #60 mentioned the book in their magazine around August 1996 which is why you start to see a jump in subscription numbers. But looking at this minuscule print run for issue 6 I would tend to believe the earlier issues were well below the 5000 print run. Possibly even below the 2500 numbers. (shrug)

*CBG shows CapCity orders for issue #8 at 2,400 - I have a feeling that your 2,321 figure for issue #6 is a CapCity order number as well, which would put the print run at probably triple that 

Edited by whetteon

On 6/7/2022 at 11:07 AM, whetteon said:

Scud #1 FN has 17 watchers @ $100 & a 9.8 has 20 watchers @ $1,895.  :whistle:(shrug)

If it's money you want, the series appears to have fans willing to pay.  If it's a storyline you want, you will not find much better. If it's an independent comic publisher #1 you're seeking, Fireman press fits the bill.

Sweet to see that prices are starting to run on it. I picked up a run of #1-7 in a cheap modern indie lot a couple of years on Heritage. Time to check if they are worth slabbing and send them in.

I loved this series back in the day, but I'm sure my copies are long since sold. It's cool that Rob Schrab went on to a successful film/tv career. I always hoped that might mean we'd see some movement on a Scud series of movie.

On 1/10/2021 at 9:27 PM, PINWHEEL said:

I love Scud.  This is one of those books and creators that made going to cons in the 90's so much fun (I include David Lapham with Stray Bullets and the Chaos Comics guys in this).  Rob and his gang were always awesome to talk to and very kind to the fans.  I haven't read the series in a bit but now I want to and can only imagine how well it holds up to expectations.  I had a sweet leather jacket with original art from Rob (scud) Steven Hughes (smiley) and Eric Talbot (a wicked skull) that was sadly stolen from my car shortly after the art was drawn, I'm still bummed over that 25 years later.

I'm curious if anyone has any info on Scud ashcans.  I have 2, one for issue 5 (signed and numbered 51) and one for issue 6 (signed and numbered 84)  I'd be interested if there were more and how many were made of each.

IMG_1945.jpeg

IMG_1946.jpeg

I believe there was a Black Octopus ashcan although I have never seen one myself (and can't find an image online, but then... I can't find much online evidence for the main-series ashcans either, so...). Regardless, all of these have to have been really limited runs.

On 6/17/2022 at 7:22 AM, The Meta said:

Ya got one?

Yes, a run of #1-5 in a Heritage lot a couple of years ago when they were worthless. Good thing I did not put any of those indie books in dollar bins. There were some early issues of Bone, Miracleman 1 & 24, plus a bunch of others.

Edited by kimik