• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crime SuspenStories 22 club
9 9

727 posts in this topic

A nice low grade copy with decent eye appeal was high on my wish list for 2015. Luckily I was able to join this club!

CSS22CGC.jpg

All those "146" written in the letters makes me think the original owner of this book might be the same guy holding the ax on the cover. :grin:

Star Wars meets Crime 22

swcrime.jpg

Good lord. :o

Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency in 1954...

Senator Estes Kefauver: Here is your May 22 issue. [Kefauver is mistakenly referring to Crime Suspenstories No. 22, cover date May] This seems to be a man with a bloody axe holding a woman's head up which has been severed from her body. Do you think that is in good taste?

Bill Gaines: Yes sir, I do, for the cover of a horror comic. A cover in bad taste, for example, might be defined as holding the head a little higher so that the neck could be seen dripping blood from it, and moving the body over a little further so that the neck of the body could be seen to be bloody.

hm

Star Wars meets Crime 22

swcrime.jpg

Good lord. :o

Senate Subcommittee on Juvenile Delinquency in 1954...

Senator Estes Kefauver: Here is your May 22 issue. [Kefauver is mistakenly referring to Crime Suspenstories No. 22, cover date May] This seems to be a man with a bloody axe holding a woman's head up which has been severed from her body. Do you think that is in good taste?

Bill Gaines: Yes sir, I do, for the cover of a horror comic. A cover in bad taste, for example, might be defined as holding the head a little higher so that the neck could be seen dripping blood from it, and moving the body over a little further so that the neck of the body could be seen to be bloody.

hm

Senator Kefauver appeared on Paul Coates' infamous episode of Confidential File (targeting horror and crime comics), orchestrated and filmed after the Comics Code had already been implemented. :facepalm:

The most notorious cover of all time that has  Hulk 181 demand levels 

how many long time EC completist collectors fell asleep at the wheel thinking oh it's cheap and common I will get my copy later ?   Then price creeps up and you think  oh that won't go any higher I will wait for it to cool off   Then few years later you have to anti up     Dohhh

Here is my copy 

IMG_0539.JPG