• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A simple GCG thing..

33 posts in this topic

It was rumored the Jim Lee wanted a website where you can go through the Action Comics #1 grade by grade to see the differences.

There aren't a whole lot of unrestored CGC'd Action Comics #1 out there, so instead I picked Amazing Fantasy #15. Got pics from Heritage Comics, included front and back covers (except on a couple of low grades were only 1 cover was present) and multiples of the same grade where present.

You can see the results here: Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC

This is such a simple idea and I'm surprised somebody hasn't done it before just to give less experienced people a ballpark idea of what grade you're likely to get based on condition.

Of course the more books from different periods (Gold to Modern) and different publishers would be better.

FYI -- there's a scan of a 9.2 in Ghost Town's CGC registry set, and there's a scan of the only CGC 9.6 copy of AF15 on Eric Roberts's personal web site--I'll see if I can find it if you're interested.

Cool project. (thumbs u

This is such a simple idea and I'm surprised somebody hasn't done it before just to give less experienced people a ballpark idea of what grade you're likely to get based on condition.

It was done in the Overstreet Grading guide with an issue of the Atom. Not CGC graded, of course.

FYI -- there's a scan of a 9.2 in Ghost Town's CGC registry set, and there's a scan of the only CGC 9.6 copy of AF15 on Eric Roberts's personal web site--I'll see if I can find it if you're interested.

Cool project. (thumbs u

I'm interested, hopefully the scans are large and have front and back covers.. but I'll take what I can get with the harder to get grades.

wow..that book is so so .... close to a 9.8. The slight crease or thumb print that slightly break the color above the "A" is the only visible flaw I can see.

I'm having trouble with it as a 9.6 due to that.

It was done in the Overstreet Grading guide with an issue of the Atom. Not CGC graded, of course.

I bet if someone made a CGC grade book with various scans of books in each grade...it would be a big seller. I know I would buy one and always liked the overstreet grading guide book and just to look at the pictures was cool but learning how to grade is even better.

I like the idea if CGC had a book or webpage so people could see comic books in each grade.

To the OP, I really like your idea and how you set up the webpage. Very cool stuff. I'd love to see that for TOS 39 and Hulk 1, etc....

I bet if someone made a CGC grade book with various scans of books in each grade...it would be a big seller. I know I would buy one and always liked the overstreet grading guide book and just to look at the pictures was cool but learning how to grade is even better.

I like the idea if CGC had a book or webpage so people could see comic books in each grade.

To the OP, I really like your idea and how you set up the webpage. Very cool stuff. I'd love to see that for TOS 39 and Hulk 1, etc....

If CGC did a book it would open up a can of worms. You would immediately have people complaining about their book getting a 4.5 when it looks just like the 6.0 photo in their opinion. If they aren't going to publish standards they won't do an official photo guide.

As for this site, it is a great start. I agree that it would be good to eventually see multiple copies of different books in different grades. I would be happy to donate scans of my books if they would be informative. Nice work! :golfclap:

Atom # 25, second edition OGG.

wow..that book is so so .... close to a 9.8. The slight crease or thumb print that slightly break the color above the "A" is the only visible flaw I can see.

I've only seen small scans of this book before. I think it's freaking gorgeous. Is it a 9.8? No, but I don't think one hairline color break should knock it down to a 9.4. Or to put it another way, I think this book is far nicer than any of the 9.4s I've seen. But maybe that's just me.

Scans, especially scans of books with dark covers always make the defects look worse than in person. That and the scan is blown up adds to the amplification of the break.

I would be proud to own this pitiful 9.6 copy.