• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration advice

20 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Got a question for you. Just submitted Marvelman 25 -- his first appearance -- to Matt at Classics Incorporated for restoration. As you can see here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230512630748&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT, it has tape down the spine. As Matt and I found out when he opened it up, that's because the cover's detached. I submitted it to get the tape removed, but I asked him to reattach the cover as well. What degree/level of restoration does everyone think would be appropriate here?

I'm curious to hear what everyone/anyone has to say!

If all he is doing is removing the tape and putting the cover back on it will get a restored label with Slight Professional resto noted.

If he just removes the tape and leaves the cover off, you could get a blue label, which may be the better way to go financially.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not worried about the value so much as I am about what's the right thing to do. Taking tape off seems like a no-brainer. But is the restoration involved in reattaching the cover a no-no somehow? If so, how?

I have had it done a few times by Matt. He always does a great job. It will make the book safer to handle but it will receive a purple label from CGC.

If that does not bother you then that is the way to go. That is what I would do.

Value wise. That book with a Blue label as a 2.0 (cover off) is most likely worth about the same as a Purple label 6.0 (cover on).

Just guessing but I'll bet I'm close.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not worried about the value so much as I am about what's the right thing to do. Taking tape off seems like a no-brainer. But is the restoration involved in reattaching the cover a no-no somehow? If so, how?
If the cover is reattached, it will be a restored copy. If you are fine with that, it's cool! (thumbs u

It'll be Slight Professional restoration if you have it reattached, as others have pointed out.

If it were me, I would make Matt and Kenny do the full blown restoration job on the book - tape removal, cleaning, reattach cover and reinforce spine, fill any small holes and square off the spine corners, and full color touch. I would do this not because it is what is best for the book or the best use of my money. I would do it because I know it drives Kenny nuts when someone sends him a really gorgeous book like that one that only needs minor reinforcement and tape removal and insists upon the full Monty treatment for the highest apparent grade.

:banana:

(tsk)

Tsk Tsk Mr. Attorney man! Not nice making a funny when asked a serious question.

jtlarson is probably like?..wtf am I supposed to say what to Matt?

But you are right, that does drive me batty on certain books.

thanks everyone. My interest was really just in repairing it in the most responsible fashion: Tape removal, spine repair. That's what I went with, hoping to get it back in another month or so. Thanks to everyone!

Did it! Thanks for all the advice. Here are the results, before and afters:

Looks awesome.

+1

I have several books with tape on them I'd like to remove. Is there any safe way to do this myself?

Depends, some of the tape you might be able to but it really is tricky and there are many things that can go wrong. Kenny is pretty cheap on tape removal and I am even cheaper so you should send either of us scans and get some feedback.

(tsk)

Tsk Tsk Mr. Attorney man! Not nice making a funny when asked a serious question.

??? i would think that would be a lot of fun.

IMO If i were to restore a book i would likely go all the way with it. I wouldnt half way restore an automobile or home. (shrug)

(tsk)

IMO If i were to restore a book i would likely go all the way with it. I wouldnt half way restore an automobile or home. (shrug)

Thing is, though, I didn't want to restore it. I just wanted to remove something that had been added to it--tape. And fix a structural defect--spine split. I wasn't trying to get it into the best condition possible, just trying to undo damage. There are only three or four of these even suspected to exist, so I felt it best to alter the book itself as little as possible.

(tsk)

Thing is, though, I didn't want to restore it. I just wanted to remove something that had been added to it--tape. And fix a structural defect--spine split. I wasn't trying to get it into the best condition possible, just trying to undo damage. There are only three or four of these even suspected to exist, so I felt it best to alter the book itself as little as possible.

You will find there is about a 50/50 opinion on how far to take a restoration. Half will want the minimum done while the other half will want to take it all the way.

I personal think you made the right choice on this book. :)

You will find there is about a 50/50 opinion on how far to take a restoration. Half will want the minimum done while the other half will want to take it all the way.

I personal think you made the right choice on this book. :)

Thanks. I thought the rarity demanded the lightest touch. Glad to hear the approval!

(tsk)

Ya done good, my man. Congrats on the result. It looks great, the spine reinforcement is not going to be a huge problem if you ever try to resell it since it's a low/mid-grade copy, and the tape is gone now. I wholeheartedly approve.

(thumbs u

(tsk)

Ya done good, my man. Congrats on the result. It looks great, the spine reinforcement is not going to be a huge problem if you ever try to resell it since it's a low/mid-grade copy, and the tape is gone now. I wholeheartedly approve.

(thumbs u

Thank you! This was an especially tough job for them as the paper stock is pretty uncommon. I probably should've gone with my initial instinct and sent along a beater from the same era for them to experiment with. But, like you say, I think it came out pretty nicely! Thanks!