• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest OA Prices

318 posts in this topic

platinum age hardcovers are collections of strips and very much of the pre-1933 material that are considered comic books are less comic book than any issue of Eerie or Creepy, which is really the basis for his question

Eerie and Creepy are comic books, just in magazine size, and Frazetta did lots of paintings on those covers

platinum age hardcovers are collections of strips and very much of the pre-1933 material that are considered comic books are less comic book than any issue of Eerie or Creepy, which is really the basis for his question

Eerie and Creepy are comic books, just in magazine size, and Frazetta did lots of paintings on those covers

Thanks Rich,

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.

Well, why don't we just create 2 lists, 1 line art and 1 colored?

Didn't we learn anything from Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education? We can all stand in the same line for the drinking fountain.

Fine, I added a 3rd category ;)

Thanks Rich,

Yes, that's what I was trying to say.

Tim has a point though... the couple of recent splashy prices for frazetta oils were not creepy/eerie covers but conan covers. (So far as I know ?)

We can't really include all of Frank's non-comic work in this list or else we might as well include every painting ever made... the mona lisa is as much a comic cover as conan the conqueror is

Do we have a similar list of the top prices achieved for interior or panel pages? That would be interesting. Could probably separate out splashes and panel pages. I would imagine Kirby, Ditko, Bolland, Gibbons, Miller, the Studio artists and some select Golden Age art (Marvel 1 page) would dominate.

OK, I'll stir the pot and add one example. It's not exactly COMMON knowledge, but a lot of people do know about it, so I'm not giving away any secrets.

About 2 years ago, I offered 90k cash and 30k in rock solid trade for the Avengers 93 cover by Neal Adams, and lost out on it to a superior all cash offer. I won't give away the final price paid, but looking at my offer, you can probably do the math.

Scott Williams

OK, I'll stir the pot and add one example. It's not exactly COMMON knowledge, but a lot of people do know about it, so I'm not giving away any secrets.

About 2 years ago, I offered 90k cash and 30k in rock solid trade for the Avengers 93 cover by Neal Adams, and lost out on it to a superior all cash offer. I won't give away the final price paid, but looking at my offer, you can probably do the math.

Scott Williams

Thanks for posting that.

It'd be cool if respected participants in the hobby with such knowledge would at least give us broad strokes on what we're talking about here, in terms of what neighborhood these record top-end prices are in.

Sticking to pencil and ink comic book covers for the moment, would it be fair to say that the WF 29 is in fact the current record, or are there private transactions that likely surpass it?

I remember that deal as having an X-Men cover as part of it to (BWS?) It doesn't seem like the average of the two broke 100k, but I'm sure the value was tilted toward the Adams.

You are correct about the Xmen cover being sold at the same time as the Avengers cover, but I'm not sure why you would want to average the two. The Avengers cover was sold for an agreed upon price and the Xmen cover was sold for an agreed upon price and the price for the Avengers cover would not have changed if the Xmen cover were not part of the deal. Not sure why you would want to combine the two sales to try and find an average. That's not how things work.

Scott Williams

I remember that deal as having an X-Men cover as part of it to (BWS?) It doesn't seem like the average of the two broke 100k, but I'm sure the value was tilted toward the Adams.

You are correct about the Xmen cover being sold at the same time as the Avengers cover, but I'm not sure why you would want to average the two. The Avengers cover was sold for an agreed upon price and the Xmen cover was sold for an agreed upon price and the price for the Avengers cover would not have changed if the Xmen cover were not part of the deal. Not sure why you would want to combine the two sales to try and find an average. That's not how things work.

Scott Williams

Amen-Brother.jpg

Scott Williams

When I heard the news reported on the sale (SDCC 2008?), the report listed the two pieces selling together and gave the total. I'm only going by my lousy memory and whatever reports I saw on CAF or the comicart group. I don't dispute what you say, as you were obviously close to the situation. I wouldn't be surprised if the same collector had other pieces that would make the big money list.

Sticking to pencil and ink comic book covers for the moment, would it be fair to say that the WF 29 is in fact the current record, or are there private transactions that likely surpass it?

Highly unlikely that there has been any higher sale up until now.