• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest OA Prices

318 posts in this topic

Well founded fear. Auction houses and the artist may be your best bet until you gain a better feel to be able to seperate the honest from the rest.

You at least know one or more posters to avoid based on what they have expressed on this thread. Also avoid anyone who wants you to send them art before they pay (had this request from a person in NYC of all places).

Edwin

This stuff can and will develop organically.

Keep dreaming. I've said it a dozen times already and it's still true, the best anyone will get is the appearance of transparency and the data will be manipulated by those same players that are guarding their secrets. There are only two sure ways to get on the inside track:

1) Have a TON of money to spend. Information will flow in your direction. Some insiders will become your best friend and feed you info. If you have the money to spend and you're smart about it, the hobby will be your beyatch.

2) Have some incredibly rare art and let people know you have it. Again, people will stampede to your door and if you're smart about it, you can find out what you want.

Everyone else has to do the legwork, pay attention, network and try to self-educate.

Finally, the best way to be content in this hobby is stop thinking of it as an investment or commodity. These are unique items so as much as everyone tries, you can't relate it to CGC books and how that market works. If that's the type of structure you're looking for go buy pork bellies.

Why bother? I am as amused as the next guy, when I hear about record setting auction prices and the BSD six-figure transactions. But having access to that information doesn't help me at all in any of my purchases or sales. For the vast majority of collectors, educating themselves about prices for Frazetta paintings, Herge Tintin, Ditko Spidey covers, SA Marvel covers obtained through dubious channels, etc have nothing to do with what they are collecting.

There are some of us where such information will not lilkely directy effect what we are collecting, but learning the details of some high end trade. particularly for those who are new to the hobby, couild help a lot. Being able to see the prices of two Similar Ditko Stranges Tales Pages where one of the pages wasn't inked by Ditko could be very instructive to a new collector. Knowing how desirabilty changes on a piece depending on changes to the artists drawing style would also be helpful, if you can superimpose that lesson on the cheaper stuff you are collecting where others are less likely to. More to the point though, as I have been studying the hobbie the market, I have found that there is enjoyment ot bwetter understanding what is going on. The names of the buyers and sellers have no interest of me if i am not goinmg to try to buy the peice, but if someone tells me that the panel page sold for a large premium to "fair market" because the buyer had some personal attachement to that particular page becomes a data point for me to discount, if I think the art I want is similar or is lesser but for whatever reason but might reach that level over time.

I agree that if we are not going ot make an offer on the art in question, knowing the names of the buyers and sellers doesn't seem to be of much value, and if the art in quesion is a genre or caliber that we are not interested in, the price would seem to matter little either. But learing why a particular peice sold for much higher than a similar piece can be very educational and the lesson is often app-licable to our own purchases, assuming you are not (as I am not) an expert allready.

I am trying to compile a list of big ticket comic-related art. These are the public ones I found so far. I just added http://russcochranauction.auctionanything.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2131336 ... am I missing any more recent public sales?

Line Art Covers ($100K+):

$380,000 (2010): Weird Fantasy #29 (Frank Frazetta)

$200,000 (2008): Weird Science #16 (Wally Wood)

$195,500 (2005): Batman #11 (Fred Ray, Jerry Robinson)

$101,700 (2006): Amazing Spider-Man #43 (John Romita)

$101,575 (2010): Daredevil #188 (Frank Miller)

$101,575 (2007): Mr. Natural #1 (Robert Crumb)

$100,625 (2002): Famous Funnies #213 (Frank Frazetta)

Big Sales that are up there: Giant Size X-Men #1; Famous Funnies #215; Avengers #93.

Did Not Meet Reserve: Superman #14 cover at $402,000 (2010) and Detective Comics #69 cover at $213,000 (2010).

Line Art Interiors ($50K+):

$448,125 (2011): Batman: The Dark Knight #1 [page 10] (Frank Miller)

$214,819 (2010): Tintin 1939/06/22 [2 pages] (307,785€ for pair ~ $429,637 for pair)

$88,500 (2011) Amazing Spider-Man 50 [page 1] (John Romita)

$86,250 (2005) Marvel Comics #1 [page 12] (Bill Everett)

$77,675 (2008) Big Comics #1 [page 1] (Robert Crumb)

$65,725 (2010) Journey Into Mystery #83 [page 8] (Jack Kirby, Joe Sinnott)

$53,775 (2008) X-Men #1 [page 11] (Jack Kirby, Paul Reinman)

Painted Comic Covers ($100K+):

$1,067,052 (2008): Tintin in America (764,200€)

$203,150 (2008): Mad #30 [front & back covers] (Norman Mingo)

$110,500 (2006): Creepy #10 [cover - "Beyond the Grave"] (Frank Frazetta)

Non-Comic Frazetta Paintings ($100K+):

$1,500,000 (2010): "Conan The Destroyer"

$1,000,000 (2009): "Conan the Conqueror"

$251,000 (2008): "Escape on Venus"

$150,000 (2010): "Warrior with Ball and Chain"

$120,750 (2003): "Savage World"

Did Not Meet Reserve: "Land of Terror" at $172,500 (2011).

Do you know of any others? Year, issue, page (if not cover), and total price would be appreciated, along with links to info on the web if available. Thanks!

Ridiculous price for Dark Knight #3 page 10 added.

Or another way to look at this sale:

$375,000 (2011): Batman: The Dark Knight #1 [page 10] (Frank Miller)

$214,819 (2010): Tintin 1939/06/22 [2 pages] (307,785€ for pair ~ $429,637 for pair)

$88,500 (2011) Amazing Spider-Man 50 [page 1] (John Romita)

$86,250 (2005) Marvel Comics #1 [page 12] (Bill Everett)

$77,675 (2008) Big *spoon* Comics #1 [page 1] (Robert Crumb)

$73,125 (2011) THE JUICE

$65,725 (2010) Journey Into Mystery #83 [page 8] (Jack Kirby, Joe Sinnott)

$53,775 (2008) X-Men #1 [page 11] (Jack Kirby, Paul Reinman)

The buyer's premium alone from the sale places #6 on this list. Crazy.

$73,125 (2011) THE JUICE

The buyer's premium alone from the sale places #6 on this list. Crazy.

Heritage are certainly big winners on this one. :o

Could the seller of the DKR splash have achieved a higher return through another venue? hm

What would you rather have, the Superman 14 cover or the DK 3 splash? Its a crazy world
Superman #14 cover!

Superman 14 wouldn't appeal too much to international buyers, and there maybe greater sentimental value of DKR splash to current collectors. After all DKR was one of the first books I started reading when I started to collec on the 80's and it may be the same for the bidders.

If I had endless amounts of cash I would pay whatever I felt like for something I really wanted

I'd list prices including buyer's premium, since that total is what was PAID...

I'd agree. That is what the item sold for and standard practice. It will ensure that your list stays in line with other documented sales and will not lead to confusion.

I think Felix intentionally separated them out to make the point about how big the BP was.

I think Felix intentionally separated them out to make the point about how big the BP was.

Thank you, Tim.

As for the total price PAID...if there's sales tax involved, should that be included?

Thank you, Tim.

As for the total price PAID...if there's sales tax involved, should that be included?

It should be -- when it's known.