• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Al Jaffee fold-in artwork!

16 posts in this topic

In the past couple years I've managed to acquire a couple of original Al Jaffee fold-ins. One of them was already framed, and one was still in its raw form as it would have been delivered to the printer's. Both of them came with an envelope that also had the artwork used in the corner of the Fold-In page -- a little guide image to show readers the direction of the fold.

Recently I decided to get both pieces framed in a way that matches. The framer and I also decided to cut the matte in a way that shows the little fold-guide image. Just got these back from the framer and I think they look great! They're still in their plastic because I haven't decided where to display them -- not even sure I have the wall space. Nonetheless I wanted to have them framed for protection and future display. Also, the glass is UV protected, which I consider important since Jaffee's medium is Designer's Gauche, a powdery form of watercolor.

Since I was a kid, I have always been fascinated by Jaffee's fold-in art, both because I enjoy his style (which can be simultaneously cute and psychologically dark), and I enjoy the idea of something hidden within artwork -- as has been done in the works of M.C. Escher, Salvador Dali, and other artists. The fold-in gimmick is part of what made me a Mad freak to begin with, and it was often the first thing I looked at whenever obtaining a new issue. So I'm very happy to have these.

If anybody here has any other Jaffee fold-in art, by all means, post some photos. Photos like these --

jaffee-foldins-2.jpg

jaffee-foldins-1.jpg

awesome thanks for the pics.

the one on the left I would have never guessed! the one on the right is easier to figure out

If you wouldn't have guessed, then Jaffee did a good job. They are kinda strange when taken out of their fold-in context, but to me they're strange in a good way.

Now I am questioning my decision to use a black matting for these. A white, gray, or light color (to match the color in the image somehow) might have made the overall presentation more attractive. Argh. I don't feel like paying to have it re-done, though.

Don't worry about that - I think they look good the way they are. The only change I might have done is to include a small inset of what the painting looks like folded so the viewer can see without the mag in front of him

Don't worry about that - I think they look good the way they are. The only change I might have done is to include a small inset of what the painting looks like folded so the viewer can see without the mag in front of him

A few other people (in person) have said this as well. I am going to scan the fold-ins and print them out, then fold them and keep them in a manila envelope nearby (in a drawer). At least that way, after examining the paintings people can find out what they're actually supposed to be.

Let me know if you do eventually get a Jaffee painting. Or if anybody else here has one, I would love to see it. I know they're out there somewhere. Jaffee has been doing them since 1964, when the feature debuted in issue #89. The current issue of Mad is #506. So there are potentially about 417 original Mad fold-ins out there, minus my two. I'd love to see how people are framing and displaying them.

(Correction: It debuted in issue #86. Also, there have been a handful of issues that did not have the fold-in, but it's been in about 99% of the issues from 1964 to present.)

Jaffee has been doing them since 1964, when the feature debuted in issue #89. The current issue of Mad is #506. So there are potentially about 417 original Mad fold-ins out there, minus my two. I'd love to see how people are framing and displaying them.

Astonishing. That's quite a run.

I've always loved these as well.

Before the holidays, I managed to put the Jaffee paintings up over the couch. I'm not sure if visitors liked them much, but they did make excellent conversation starters. (It was helpful to keep actual copies of the corresponding Mad magazines nearby.) At least the cat seemed to appreciate them.

cat-jaffee-couch.jpg

cat-jaffee-couch3.jpg