• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP Mike Esposito

34 posts in this topic

One by one all the greats are leaving us,Rest in Peace. Mr.Esposito is mostly known for all the great work that he did with his longtime friend, the late, great Ross Andru, but he worked on a number of other comic books over the years. He was John Romita’s primary inker on most of Romita’s run on Amazing Spider-Man, he inked Bob Brown on the Avengers and he inked on a number of Archie comics well into the late 1990s!

He left behind an impressive comic book legacy and he will be greatly missed.

I just his autobiography which was also about the life of Ross Andru. It was fascinating stuff. He was not a top of the line inker like Sinnott or Palmer, nor did he have the broad effect on comics of a Giordano nor was he controversial like Colletta. He was a talented guy who made his living working in comics, quietly but with the respect of those around him. I have always respected anyone with the talent, business sense and ability to make their living in what is often a heartless industry but I felt this even more so after reading his book. He was quite a guy.

Esposito and Andru were quite the team. They did Wonder Woman for almost ten years, ending in 1967, co-created The Metal Men with Bob Kanigher,and worked on The Flash before switching to Marvel. They did the spidey issue that gave the world The Punisher.

Mr Esposito did quite a bit of inking on the early Marvels books under the pen names of Mickey DeMeo and also Mickey Dee.

Andru and Esposito did the Wonder Woman stamp for the USPO.

As a child early just starting to collect comics Mike gave this to me. He used to come over to the house on Sunday and have dinner, draw a few doodles on a napkin and tell me what was coming up in the next few months.

ppssm.jpg