• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Seller: collectors_comics
2 2

98 posts in this topic

I had brought a couple books from him about two years ago. One of the books, was the ASM 25 in low-mid grade. He said that in the auction. Upon getting this book in hand, it was actually more like a 2.5-3.0 with tan/ow pages.

Since then, I stay away from him and his auctions. The bids I've seen are insanely high, some close to CGC levels on raw books.

I buy non-key copper and moderns at auction and have been satisfied. Grading is within my tolerance. Shipping is secure.

I expect each NM copy I buy to have been pressed because I'm pretty sure they have been.

I bought some raw ASM McFarlane "9.8s" this year and have been considering sending them in...

I am considering buying a few certified books he has listed with BINs (a few voldy books).But after reading this thread I'm a little concerned. If the books are certified, would you folks still have reservations?

If they are certified by CGC(or other...) I doubt you will have an issue. I purchased a GSX 1 listed as "high grade" a while back and was a bit unhappy when I received. The staples were very rusty and had migrated to the pages and back cover. I did not return as the rest of the book was nice and ultimately sold for a loss. I personally stay clear of raws from this seller ever since as that should have been disclosed IMO. With everything in life YMMV.

So does anyone have any recent dealings with this seller?  I always see books I'm interested in bidding on, but I don't because he seems like a scammer.  Yet, his ebay sales still remain strong and there don't appear to be that many negative comments from ebay buyers.  Also, is he connected to the "all things comics" dealer too?  I'm just amazed at their operation on how they are able to consistently amass so many in demand books.  Just wondering where they are sourcing their stock from.  

30 minutes ago, Samoyed Sabaka said:

So does anyone have any recent dealings with this seller?  I always see books I'm interested in bidding on, but I don't because he seems like a scammer.  Yet, his ebay sales still remain strong and there don't appear to be that many negative comments from ebay buyers.  Also, is he connected to the "all things comics" dealer too?  I'm just amazed at their operation on how they are able to consistently amass so many in demand books.  Just wondering where they are sourcing their stock from.  

I suppose it depends on what you consider too many negative comments. After reading all the comments, it seems pretty obvious that this seller overgrades on a consistent basis. If you're OK with that (you know what to expect) then at least you've been forewarned. 

My gut feeling is that sellers like this are one of the reasons CGC has become so popular...

Edited by The Lions Den

263769765749.thumb.jpg.0ee18f563068a926591a2108003ad8c4.jpg

I decided to stay out of the above auction because realap13's All-American Men of War #127 looked like this:

2w32nv7.jpg2ijp9c4.jpg

CC is currently auctioning what appears to be the same copy only now it has been pressed and cleaned:

23iik1t.jpg2e4yjxi.jpg5wglue.jpgatnpec.jpg296i4af.jpgix8tfn.jpg

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

7 minutes ago, creaturefan95 said:

I decided to stay out of the above auction because realap13's All-American Men of War #127 looked like this:

2w32nv7.jpg2ijp9c4.jpg

CC is currently auctioning what appears to be the same copy only now it has been pressed and cleaned:

I know I must be missing part of the equation, but why would you not bid if your suspicions are true?

9 minutes ago, creaturefan95 said:

I decided to stay out of the above auction because realap13's All-American Men of War #127 looked like this:

2w32nv7.jpg2ijp9c4.jpg

:facepalm:  

23 hours ago, Gaard said:

I know I must be missing part of the equation, but why would you not bid if your suspicions are true?

I'm not a fan of books that have been monkeyed around with and the people who flip them. :sumo:

Edited by creaturefan95
war is hell

Earlier on this page I mentioned that I was sitting on some raw ASM McFarlane "9.8s" that I bought from this dealer. 

I finally sent in 7 after filtering out about 5. None of them passed pre-screen for 9.8. They were more like 9.4 - 9.6, mainly 9.4.

1 hour ago, FN-2199 said:

Earlier on this page I mentioned that I was sitting on some raw ASM McFarlane "9.8s" that I bought from this dealer. 

I finally sent in 7 after filtering out about 5. None of them passed pre-screen for 9.8. They were more like 9.4 - 9.6, mainly 9.4.

So, that's a dozen "raw 9.8s" that were 0-for-12 on actually being 9.8.

Sounds like the standard Ebay result. (:

This guy had some interesting books today.  Claims 9.6 grade on a raw silver age... yeah right I'll believe it when I see it graded.. otherwise this would be a $250 book.  If he has experience with CGC why isn't he submitting his books for grade?  Clearly he would make alot more than $50...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Doctor-Strange-172-NEAR-MINT-9-6-NM-MARVEL-1968-Master-of-The-Mystic-Arts/352850172768?autorefresh=true

Only posting this since I googled his username along with cgc boards.. sure enough he had plenty of threads here.  I think you all saved me some frustration.

Edited by 90sChild

2 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Only posting this since I googled his username along with cgc boards.. sure enough he had plenty of threads here.  I think you all saved me some frustration.

Google:

Costanza spine realignment CGC

This has to do with shifting the spine. Flattening, then refolding a new spine and pressing so that the wear on the area of what was the location of the original fold of the spine is now shifted to the back cover, giving the book a much cleaner appearance from the front cover. Unfortunately, the newly folded book takes on the characteristics of a spine roll in reverse, the second half of the book (centerfold to back cover) extending beyond the level of the first half!

Thomas Wilson (Collectors_Comics) is Mark Wilson's son. Mark and his brother Matt were restoration professionals of note back in the pre-CGC era.