• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Seller: collectors_comics
2 2

98 posts in this topic

I was actually looking at that comic too. I would have been kicking myself today. As far as pressing, I think stacking a comic under 100 other comics gives the best results that I would have the patience to deal with. That Batman comic looks like a lot of work has been put into it.

Edited by passion4comics

He just sold last night a FF 12 that he won from me last month.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=220703666700&si=2rCl1oxVxnuL6eGCyvCXqerDZcI%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Below are the scans I have for the book. (Sorry about the res, it was the only book I didn't scan. I bought it from Ted at Superworld and he sent me the scan before I got the book, so I used it.)

ff12.jpg

ff12b.jpg

The FF book does not look like it was pressed, or if it was he did not get all the pressable defects out. The cover did look cleaner so some dry cleaning may have happened.

It didn't looked pressed, but it does look cleaner. When I had it it didn't look quite that clean. But who knows...He also used a camera and mine was scanned.

The FF book does not look like it was pressed, or if it was he did not get all the pressable defects out. The cover did look cleaner so some dry cleaning may have happened.

It didn't looked pressed, but it does look cleaner. When I had it it didn't look quite that clean. But who knows...He also used a camera and mine was scanned.

I'm thinking those photos he used got a little Photoshop love. Compared to the old scans you posted, the colors look electric and the covers don't show even the barest hint of yellowing.

So did he make money on it,or eat it?

He made a little profit. He won it from me for about $245.

Yea,after Ebay and Paypal fee's=330-12%...$290..so $45...

Hardly worth it,well maybe...but if he's eating $50 on some listings,and making $50 on others,IS it worth the hassel?

Not if that's what he's doing to put food on the table.

I've found that scanners degrade the appearance of comics vs photos. His white balance is a little off. I think the better saturation of color is from him using sunlight and a camera. I don't like the glare of the photo because it could hide some defects. If the defects are there you'll see them with a scanner or on film if photographed "honestly".

...If the defects are there you'll see them with a scanner or on film if photographed "honestly"...

Well then, here's the handywork. The book looks like it was printed a week ago. Not that it certainly couldn't be in such condition, although the clipping of the bottom right corner cover is rather odd.

Did a search of this seller, collectors_comics, and besides this thread all I could find was a thread with the usual welcome wagon extended for noobies (message board handle "the dean").

Anyone have any recent experiences with this seller?

Did a search of this seller, collectors_comics, and besides this thread all I could find was a thread with the usual welcome wagon extended for noobies (message board handle "the dean").

Anyone have any recent experiences with this seller?

They are comic flippers. They buy stuff at auction at low prices and either list the books as BIN, or try to auction them off with a better description and get a good return. They likely press books, not sure. I've gotten some CGC books off them, fast shipping, I couldn't complain.

Thanks. He had a couple of nice raw books up for grabs last night (including a SC #8).

IMHO, the prices went a bit high for raw books on ebay.

I guess enough people have confidence in this seller to bid it up.

I don`t know what the deal is with them but their comic books are some of the most watched comicbooks on Ebay. They consistently get lots of watchers.

How can you tell? Is there a trick to knowing how many watchers there are on an auction (besides being the seller)?

They use the sellathon.com tools in their listings - which allow you to see how many watchers they have on each listing:

http://mostpopular.sellathon.com/Default.aspx?id=AC868879&Page=1&Sort=4

As usual, ComicConnoisseur's statement is complete nonsense.

You know, whether it is Robojo or Lexerific or Cdpaoli or Collectors_comics, these jackholes just seem to hate comic books and comic collectors. They delight in taking advantage of the unsuspecting, the trusting, and the outright naive. And in doing so, they erode trust, confidence and respect for our favorite pastime. The whole time, patting themselves on the back for how clever they've been.

I'm sick of these guys. If someone was new to comic collecting, bought from one of these useless chumps, and found out they were screwed later, do you think they are more or less interested in comics? I've never been burned by any of these guys but it saddens me to think of the people who have.

Mark Zaid has been awesome at pursuing his favorite criminal. I know many of you have put a lot of time into trying to bust up the other insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. And that is all awesome work. It just seems like they've always been around, way before the internet. But I look forward to the day when they can be run out of town and their days of making a quick buck at someone else's expense are over.

rantrant

Long winded way of saying how glad I am for this community and all the guys here on the boards fighting for some sort of integrity and honesty in comic collecting.

Edited by Diego Grande

I don`t know what the deal is with them but their comic books are some of the most watched comicbooks on Ebay. They consistently get lots of watchers.

How can you tell? Is there a trick to knowing how many watchers there are on an auction (besides being the seller)?

They use the sellathon.com tools in their listings - which allow you to see how many watchers they have on each listing:

http://mostpopular.sellathon.com/Default.aspx?id=AC868879&Page=1&Sort=4

As usual, ComicConnoisseur's statement is complete nonsense.

lol

They seem legit...lots of large, detailed photos in every listing and consistently good feedback from experienced buyers. They don't list specific grades so they can't be accused of overgrading. They do seem to get unusually high prices for raw books but also do a good job of always having multiple auctions for key issues and cross-promoting their other listings by keyword spamming which is against eBay policy but not enforced. Plus they take full advantage of the fact that in the right light, comics look much better (glossier and brighter) in photos than scans (shrug)