• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ebay Seller: collectors_comics
2 2

98 posts in this topic

I sent him a message about a BB29 he was selling. There was a shadow in the back of the book (lost the link). So I asked him if it was a real shadow or something from the book and he said it was some dust shadowing.

He does have a lot of big book. Maybe he just try to buy cheap and sell higher.

They seem legit...lots of large, detailed photos in every listing and consistently good feedback from experienced buyers. They don't list specific grades so they can't be accused of overgrading. They do seem to get unusually high prices for raw books but also do a good job of always having multiple auctions for key issues and cross-promoting their other listings by keyword spamming which is against eBay policy but not enforced. Plus they take full advantage of the fact that in the right light, comics look much better (glossier and brighter) in photos than scans (shrug)

They buy from Cpadoli/lexerific... that scammer group,thru other new id's..and even thru their own collectors_comics as a buyer...

So you tell me,how would you feel about buying a previously undisclosed restored or overgraded book sold by Lexerific(bajubaby05 now) originally,now being sold third party....?

I've had Ebay message conversations about this with them,and they don't care....just passing the BURN forward...

Don't drink the KoolAid...this seller is has NO GOOD INTENTIONS.

They buy from Cpadoli/lexerific... that scammer group,thru other new id's..and even thru their own collectors_comics as a buyer...

So you tell me,how would you feel about buying a previously undisclosed restored or overgraded book sold by Lexerific (bijoubaby05 now) originally,now being sold third party....?

I've had Ebay message conversations about this with them,and they don't care....just passing the BURN forward...

That's all I needed to hear, to keep me away (tsk)

I'm starting to feel lucky I lost that SC #8 :/

They seem legit...lots of large, detailed photos in every listing and consistently good feedback from experienced buyers. They don't list specific grades so they can't be accused of overgrading. They do seem to get unusually high prices for raw books but also do a good job of always having multiple auctions for key issues and cross-promoting their other listings by keyword spamming which is against eBay policy but not enforced. Plus they take full advantage of the fact that in the right light, comics look much better (glossier and brighter) in photos than scans (shrug)

So you tell me,how would you feel about buying a previously undisclosed restored or overgraded book sold by Lexerific(bajubaby05 now) originally,now being sold third party....?

That's a whole different ballgame...wasn't aware of them reselling books from those notorious PLOD cracker/resellers! doh!

. . . they take full advantage of the fact that in the right light, comics look much better (glossier and brighter) in photos than scans (shrug)

Aren't these photos similar one of the notorious sellers we've been comparing them to?

It's hard to overgrade a book if you don't give it a grade. Which in and of itself is shady as far as I'm concerned. They call it high grade but fail to actually tell you the grade. Hoping for the gambling ebay masses to pay up big in the hopes of a 9.4 when in reality it's more like a 7.0. Dizneyart plays this same game and it annoys me to no end. :frustrated:

It's hard to overgrade a book if you don't give it a grade. Which in and of itself is shady as far as I'm concerned. They call it high grade but fail to actually tell you the grade. Hoping for the gambling ebay masses to pay up big in the hopes of a 9.4 when in reality it's more like a 7.0. Dizneyart plays this same game and it annoys me to no end. :frustrated:

Hear ya..but don't get blinded by the "no grade" game...the other factor is way more important,it's the "previous CGC PLOD's cracked out game" that's going to burn ya from this seller,and the others he is dealing with...

Dizneyart i wouldn't worry about the PLODs,that is truely just a "no grade given" game....at least there are decent pictures.

That's a whole different ballgame...wasn't aware of them reselling books from those notorious PLOD cracker/resellers! doh!

hm

They went through a group of SA X-Men recently and got some CRAZY prices. Just a cursory glance at those scans tell you that (for the most part) these are not "high grade" copies. Probably less experienced buyers taking a seller at their word... too bad they got the screw :(

Anyone have any recent updates about this seller? I just looked the seller up on the site's search forum because he always has numerous "high" grade keys for sale.

As it was stated on this thread, he doesn't usually claim a grade on most of his comics. I messaged him and asked what is the constituents the difference between higher grade and high grade. He replied that "higher" is between 6.5-7.5 and high is between 8.0-8.5. His comics sell high above the average for normal raws. On many of his comics one could easily get a CGC at a higher grade for the same price( or pay a little more). It only goes to show the lack of information( and experience) buyers in the ebay market carry. I'm not accusing the seller is doing anything wrong(since I haven't dealt with him and members here aren't raising their pitch forks), but It seems a little deceptive to not stand behind a grade, so buyers know what they are bidding on. He may use photoshop and doesn't disclose pressing, I don't know about that?

I just saw a Iron man #10 at "High Grade" sell for 123.00! :screwy: It was probably around a 8.0-8.5. But if you look at the completed listings a CGC 9.4 sold for 150.00. I would rather dish out the extra 27.00 for CGC (obviously). Obviously, its not his fault his comics sell above the average. He does provide decent pictures. I guess the bidders cannot grade for shet. Some of these buyers are getting burnt hard time.

It's good to see a n00b has used the search function and done some reading before posting.

Do tell - I tried the search engine (which is usually useless in my experience). With the search engine I found... this thread. meh

So I tried a Google search of the site, and got this link.

Welcome to the boards Clay. :hi:

:eek: To bid or not to bid...I don't trust sellers like this. Anyone know this guy ? Any feedback ? I don't trust ebay feedback after seeing what robojobo used to get away with.

I've bid on comics he's offered before, but I had a bad experience when he initially failed to disclose a water stain on the back cover of what appeared to be (and was described as) a high grade copy of Journey Into Mystery #86.

Fortunately, a sharp eyed bidder noticed the stain (it was pretty small) and asked about it, which to his credit he posted in the Q&A section.

An originally undisclosed water stain would have brought that book down to a fine/fine+ worth much less...Looking at the link to the thread from when he appeared on the boards, he appeared to post in the wrong forums several times in a disingenuous guerrilla marketing campaign...I've never seen someone become persona non grata so fast.

He seems to specialize in selling raw comics, doesn't venture a grade to avoid liability. Look at the photos carefully and proceed with caution is my advice. Buy raw and risk getting a raw deal :)

Ultimately, a few anecdotes about people that have sold books to collectors_comics and then later the copies look much better, though apparently unpressed, does suggest Photoshop manipulation. You can go to the aggregation sites to see which comic auctions have the most watchers, and the collectors_comics books tend to trend very high, because they tend to look terrific (isn't Photoshop great?)...Shady indeed.

I was watching him a while back and he only sells on Sundays. He uses that account with 0 feedback to boost the price. If he doesn't like the price that its going to be sold for he makes sure the 0 feedback wins the auction. Also, you will notice he will relist a lot of the keys he has over and over. I remember watching first SA two face bring in like 250+ with rusted staples. Its insane the prices he gets for some of his junk.

So not only is he *possibly* manipulating images with Photoshop (conjecture on my part), but he might also be engaged in shill bidding as well? That should get reported...Given his past behavior, it sounds plausible.

So not only is he *possibly* manipulating images with Photoshop (conjecture on my part), but he might also be engaged in shill bidding as well? That should get reported...Given his past behavior, it sounds plausible.

I been watching this guy for awhile now and he has a few things in common with bijoebaby and robojo. They all have different methods of operation, but all are shady,all get many watchers and bidders, all are a fan of photoshop, and all are still making money on ebay. My theory still is a few of these buyers do know what they are getting and then flipping them on craigslist or small comic shows. just thoughts and I could be wrong.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Wow, got lucky and dodged bullets with this guy, he has the exact kind of stuff I need.

But I luckily added him to my 'don't buy from' list before ever placing a bid, because I really didn't like (or trust, I guess) that he uses vague description "higher grade" for anything that might include from 6.5 to 9.0, although on 9.2 and higher books he assigns a precise grade. (And perhaps his scans might not have been high res enough for me to guess my own grade.)

Until seeing this thread, I'd frequently wondered if I wasn't missing out on some good books from misplaced stubbornness.