• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"HOLLYWOOD TREASURE" premieres tonight (Oct-27th) on Syfy...!!!

32 posts in this topic

Fantastic show!

Finding the Mary Poppins carpet bag with a family using it as a beach bag and toy carrier for a long while just floored me. Even better, when it went up for auction and far exceeded the estimated market value ($90K +).

Fantastic show!

Finding the Mary Poppins carpet bag with a family using it as a beach bag and toy carrier for a long while just floored me. Even better, when it went up for auction and far exceeded the estimated market value ($90K +).

That made for great TV, but Joe knew (everyone who's attended a HW mem. auction knew) that it was a low estimate. Low estimates are good, they don't get consignors mad at the auction house because they are easy to exceed, they get people interested thinking there may be a low reserve/no reserve or a bargain to be had and when it exceeds the estimate everyone is all happy giddy about it.

From the moment they mentioned it on the show and said $15k-25k I turned to my wife and said "That $80k if it's a dollar". At $15k I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat and I don't even collect movie props from that era. Also if it's a price I am willing to pay without thinking about it, it obviously way less than it's probably worth. lol

I am not sure whether I am watching these out of order, but the episode that was on last night had Joe searching for Dorothy's ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz. These slippers were apparently stolen from the Judy Garland Museum in 2005, and Joe is helping the museum search for the slippers and is offering a reward for information leading to their return.

Perhaps Joe can do the same for comic art and devote a future episode to the original covers and complete issues that were lost or stolen from the Marvel warehouse. It would be cool to see Joe and his staff talk to the personnel at Marvel and comic art dealers so they can try to find some of the lost art.

I am not sure whether I am watching these out of order, but the episode that was on last night had Joe searching for Dorothy's ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz. These slippers were apparently stolen from the Judy Garland Museum in 2005, and Joe is helping the museum search for the slippers and is offering a reward for information leading to their return.

Perhaps Joe can do the same for comic art and devote a future episode to the original covers and complete issues that were lost of stolen from the Marvel warehouse. It would be cool to see Joe and his staff talk to the personnel at Marvel and comic art dealers so they can try to find some of the lost art.

you mean "he's looking for the exact pair that was stolen from....."

there are several pairs that have been auctioned during the past couple decades

concerning the Marvel covers, the rumor is that they aren't exactly "missing".

They're just missing from Marvel

My wife and I have invented a drinking game where we take a drink each time Joe says "iconic."

My head hurts. :tonofbricks:

lol I've only seen 4 shows via the web but that's too true!