• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best single issue complete story
1 1

53 posts in this topic

Xmen Annual 4 stands out for me -  Nightcrawler’s Inferno. Dr Strange helps the Xmen recover the soul of Nightcrawler trapped in hell. Travelling through the circles of Hell battling demons along the way.  Based on Dante’s Inferno and actually inspired me to find Dante’s Divine Comedy in my local library.  

20 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

Superman 149: The Death of Superman 

Quite a powerful and dark story for the Silver Age, with Luthor's especially sadistic attitude.

Edited by Ken Aldred

11 hours ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

Xmen Annual 4 stands out for me -  Nightcrawler’s Inferno. Dr Strange helps the Xmen recover the soul of Nightcrawler trapped in hell. Travelling through the circles of Hell battling demons along the way.  Based on Dante’s Inferno and actually inspired me to find Dante’s Divine Comedy in my local library.  

^^

Is DareDevil 164 "Bronze"?  If so, don't know why it has not been mentioned yet.  One of the most visually great stories ever.  A truly fantastic origin re-telling.  Complete with Krigstein homages:

Image result for daredevil 164

Image result for daredevil 164

Edited by sfcityduck

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Is DareDevil 164 "Bronze"?  If so, don't know why it has not been mentioned yet.  One of the most visually great stories ever.  A truly fantastic origin re-telling.  Complete with Krigstein homages:

Yes! Those early Miller Daredevils were Krigstein influenced. It was issue 169 that made me take notice. A self-contained masterpiece in one issue.

pageDaredevil 169-021.jpg

Edited by GomerPyleUSMC

Marvel and DC Present X-men and Teen Titans.  Nice story art and characters.  Darkseid, Dark Phoenix, Terminator Wolverine battle, Simonson art at his best - what more do you want?

I'll Second the Superman Moore one shots.  Perfect issues.

I'll Second the Death of Captain Marvel

Amazing Spiderman 267 - When Cometh the Commuter.  Not deep, but a truly funny one shot story.  

http://www.chasingamazingblog.com/2013/12/12/amazing-spider-man-267-and-the-funniest-spider-man-comic-ever/

ASM267_03

Tough topic ... so many great one shots but we’re more accustomed to ongoing epics now a days 

as a marvel fan I’ve always been partial to 

“ God Loves , Man Kills “ it deals with visual racism and other serious topics while never preaching and still is a pretty good albeit dated x-men story with the “ new “ team 

3 hours ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

Tough topic ... so many great one shots but we’re more accustomed to ongoing epics now a days 

as a marvel fan I’ve always been partial to 

“ God Loves , Man Kills “ it deals with visual racism and other serious topics while never preaching and still is a pretty good albeit dated x-men story with the “ new “ team 

Great Chris Claremont story, dated by his old-school, overly-expositional dialogue, which I still don't mind at all.

On 8/28/2002 at 4:11 PM, greggy said:

Yes, I love that book. One of the few books that I enjoyed reading when I got back into comics in 1989. Of course, Dark Knight Returns were the others! smile.gif

I LOVE the fact this thread is so old that greggy is here commenting in complete sentences on the actual contents of a comic book!  :cloud9:

And, for the record, I called out Conan #24 The Song of Red Sonja back in September 2002.  :sumo: