• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best single issue complete story
1 1

53 posts in this topic

good to see I'm not alone in loving FF 51. Just an awesome story. The run from 48 to 60 is just insanely good and the fact that they could drop in such an amazing "filler" issue in the middle of all that was going on is just crazy.

FF #51 - I have handsold this book at least 30 times offering to buy it back if the customer didn't think it was one of the best stories they had ever read. No one has EVER brought one back.

Tangled Web #4 - I couldn't believe how good this was the day it came out. It has deserved the awards it has won, and I think it stands with any Spidey story ever written

Some submission from left-field....

Marvel Fanfare #7 Hulk vs. Unus & Blob. A very moving story,about true friendship and three guys who jus want to be left alone be seem to attract trouble like magnets. I read this story when I was 14 and moved enough by it to always remember it (even after I sold my initial collection) I bought and read it again after 20 years and it was as good as I remember even if it now was server with a healthy dose of nostalgia sauce.

Two-In-One Annual #7 This has everything that makes a comic fun ! Epic scale, danger, heroism, tragedy and honour.

It's the story of one of the Elders (Champion) challenging the strongest of Earth's heroes to a boxing match, Ben Grimm manages to save the day while getting beaten to a bloody pulp and refusing to quit.

Inhumans Marvel GN A moving story by Ann Nocenti about life-choices and the unsupportable weight of responsibility

i always was partial to ASM 8, you had to like the back up story by J.Kirby with the peter parker flash thompson boxing fight. Kirby's art with the back up fantastic four story was beautiful early marvel. shocked.gif im curious to read FF 51 now, since it's been highly touted on this board, guess i better buy an unslabbed copy. blush.gif

There are just too many. Here are my single issue BRONZE favourites:

GreenLantern/Green Arrow 76: Great story. Even when I read this for the first time in 1978, I was blown away. Sets the tone for the rest of the series in a self-contained story.

Ghost Rider 35: A Starlin filler where he races death. I just re-read it a year ago, and it still holds up. Great atmosphere.

Doc Strange: Can't remember the issue-think it was 55? Great Michael Golden issue where Doc fights to keep his sanity.

Batman 251.

Hulk Annual 7

Daredevil-also can't remember issue-what I always call the gun control book, where DD has the gun to Bullseye's head as he recounts the story of the kid with the gun.

I'm sure there are tons of other single book stories worthy, but these still stand out for me.

Paul

Daredevil-also can't remember issue-what I always call the gun control book, where DD has the gun to Bullseye's head as he recounts the story of the kid with the gun.
that issue is the classic DD 191, when he was expeirmenting with his pencil style pre RONIN. ooo.gif DD is visits bullseye in the hospital after he crippled him in DD 181. that is a damn good issue, if anybody hasn't read that issue please pick it up. grin.gif

Doc Strange: Can't remember the issue-think it was 55? Great Michael Golden issue where Doc fights to keep his sanity

I'd have to dig around to get the issue number, but I'll second you on that one- that was a great story.

900 Miles - John Byrne's backup story in Superman 9.

To me it is the definitive charecter study of what makes Luthor evil, told in just 7 pages. Anyone else remember this one?