• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best single issue complete story
1 1

53 posts in this topic

That was the one where he stops at a diner and makes the waitress an offer she can't possibly accept but would be stupid to turn down...? That was a great story! Byrne did what no one was able to do in all the years that Luthor had been around as Superman's main villain.... made him truly ruthless, manipulative and evil on even the most basic of levels. A great compliment to Superman's lofty idealism.

Kev

Sandman, i can't remember the issue number (it's between 11-19), but morpehus and death make a deal about a guy who claims you only die if you believe your going to die. So he lives through time periods to the modern day, that issue was damn fine! smile.gif

Alan Moore's Swamp Things are amazing (well his first 25 issues or so) The issue that stands out for me in that series was Annual #2 where he goes to hell to rescue Abigail. Amazing.

Alan Moore also has another single issue story that's incredible - Superman Annual (#10 I think????).

yeah Moore and Gibbons go off in that Annual. I just read that a few weeks ago (along with the Action 583/ Superman 423 2 parter he did to close out pre-crisis (Earth 1) superman.) Classic stuff.

Three more:

Sandman 50 - by the way, what ever happened to the guy who was supposed to be selling all the art for that book. There's a page I really want and there was a listing a while back saying all the pages were going to be listed. Curious.

Swamp Thing 53 - I'm cheating, but the whole Batman "get the F@#$ out of my city" bit is tremendous.

And, I can't believe I forgot this, the best Superman story of all time: Superman Annual 11 (the Alan Moore "birthday" story). GO AND READ THIS BOOK.

That was Detective 471, but I doubt it counts as a single issue complete story: it is the continuation from 470, and part of the serial that runs from 469-476 (variously reprinted as "Strange Apparitions" and "Shadow of the Batman.")

My best single-issue Bronze Age stories (sorry FF#51 has gotta be Silver Age):

1.Batman 237 Night of the Reaper O'Neil-Adams

2. Conan 24 Song of Red Sonja Thomas-Smith (you don't need to read #23 first)

3. New Gods 7 The Pact by Kirby (works standalone, but much richer if you've read the 4th World stories up to that point.)

4. Mr. Miracle 9 Himon by Kirby (ditto)

Cheers,

Z.

Yes, but it is Batman 255, not Detective. Neal Adams pencils & inks, Len Wein's story. This was Adams' swan song as a Batman artist (apart from occasional covers after this point). One of the best!

Cheers,

Z.

I know this is supposed to be a bronze age thread but since FF 51 has received so much love...

I nominate the two books that impacted me more than any other when I read them as a youngster in the 60s: 

ASM 50: Spider-Man No More

Superman 149: The Death of Superman 

In terms of bronze age books, I’ll go with Bats 251 because I just got a copy a few days ago (see the Bronze Age Batman Appreciation thread).:smile:

Edited by JohnH19

FF 250.  Gladiator chases some skrulls to Earth and mayhem ensues.  wall-to-wall action by Byrne in his post-Xmen prime.

What If? 32 "What if the Avengers had Become Pawns of Korvac?"

Yeah i know these are both Copper.  Sue me

Nobody's mentioned "The song of Red Sonja" in Conan #24.

"Red Nails" which got a couple of mentions 17 years ago spanned two issues of Savage Tales.

Edited by namisgr

Avengers 177 - culmination of the Korvac saga

I'm sure a bajillion more will come back to me....

Thor 272 - story of Thor and Loki's childhood rivalry

FF 191 - "Four no More" team breaks up

FF 213 - Galactus vs the Sphinx; early Marvel cosmic level clash; well-done

borderline copper, but DC Comics Presents #29 -- The Spectre humbles Superman

Edited by Readcomix