• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Marketplace articles and letters

127 posts in this topic

CBM got me started on Golden Age and Precode. Learned a lot from that publication. Miss it to this day.

Same story here btw. Coming into this country, I had had no way to learn about comics pre-Marvel Age but by the luck of picking up a couple of issues for a buck or so at my LCS annual sale, I was hooked! Spent $$ buying back issues online and reading the mags when I was supposed to study for my comps then ensued the Synchronic collection idea and now, 10 years later and a couple of thousands of GA / Atom Age books later, I am still talking and learning about them!

Pretty much the same goes for me as well.

Pat Calhoun and Michelle Nolan's articles in CBM (along with the invaluable help of the Gerber Photo-Journals) introduced me to comics I never imagined existed before.

Still my favorite comics-related mag, to this day. :cloud9:

It was a great day when CBM showed up in the mail. I think I had an article or two and several letters. I let my subscription lapse somewhere in the 70s, but picked up about half the later issues I needed later. Russ Cochran really changed the mag -- and not in a good way.

Never read any CBM but have tried to track down some cheap copies in the UK, with no luck so far.

Have Dr. Watson keep an eye for them at cons. Some dealers show up with plenty of issues for $3 a piece or even cheaper these days for the later issues.

Shipping to the UK would be too pricey though.

If you had deigned to attend our little London soiree, I could've brought some issues over for you.

It was a great day when CBM showed up in the mail. I think I had an article or two and several letters. I let my subscription lapse somewhere in the 70s, but picked up about half the later issues I needed later. Russ Cochran really changed the mag -- and not in a good way.

He didn't even know that wasn't Galactus on the cover of FF # 48 doh!

Never read any CBM but have tried to track down some cheap copies in the UK, with no luck so far.

Have Dr. Watson keep an eye for them at cons. Some dealers show up with plenty of issues for $3 a piece or even cheaper these days for the later issues.

If you had deigned to attend our little London soiree, I could've brought some issues over for you.

(worship)

I miss CBM, but Alter Ego is a good substitute.

I need to pull together a set of both mags.

I like Alter Ego, but CBM not only had great articles and interviews on the history of comics, but also hobby related stuff like grading, scarcity, discovering collections, and memories. I especially enjoyed reading Gary Carter(and others in the mag) talk about buying the books off the stands, seeing the pedigree collections for the first time, etc. Great mag, I guess these boards are the closest thing to recapturing its feel.

I miss CBM, but Alter Ego is a good substitute.

I need to pull together a set of both mags.

I like Alter Ego, but CBM not only had great articles and interviews on the history of comics, but also hobby related stuff like grading, scarcity, discovering collections, and memories. I especially enjoyed reading Gary Carter(and others in the mag) talk about buying the books off the stands, seeing the pedigree collections for the first time, etc. Great mag, I guess these boards are the closest thing to recapturing its feel.

It was the best magazine ever for the advanced collector -- someone that appreciated the artistic merit as well as loved the hunt for the comics themselves.

It's not that bad Araich sent me 56 issues last year, I paid around $250 shipped to me (and had almost a year of reading fun out of them)

You can get about 25 - 30 in a priority box, which is about $42.00

Well ... you're kind of out of any other options :shrug:

I know - such is life.

Out of curiosity, is shipping from Canada to the UK cheaper than shipping from the US to the UK?

I think it might be more expensive.

Doesn't Canada still have surface shipping ? That would be cheaper I'm guessing.

My store had an ad in an early(single digit) issue, maybe #2? greggy should be able to correct me.

I remember that...the one in Vancouver right ?

:censored:

Well ... you're kind of out of any other options :shrug:

I know - such is life.

Out of curiosity, is shipping from Canada to the UK cheaper than shipping from the US to the UK?

I think it might be more expensive.

Doesn't Canada still have surface shipping ? That would be cheaper I'm guessing.

Canoes and dog sleds up here. If there were digital copies available that would be pretty awesome. I've seen lots of old comics available for download but no CBM.

I pretty much waited for every issue to come out as soon as the previous one was published. Couldn't get enough of the Gary Carter issues.. Like someone above said, it was the only way you had any idea what was going on in the market at the time, and the reports were a great way to predict what was going to be hot.

D@mn article on 100 pagers ruined all the cheap deals on those.

And then the Jon McClure articles got me started on a 5 yr obsession w/ price variants.

I was also shocked when a fairly nasty letter I wrote to Russ Cochran was published in the mag. I pretty much accused him of being an elitist who was trying to inflict his own tastes onto collectors instead of publishing something for everyone in the vintage realm of the hobby. My recollection was that he pretty much stated he knew better about what was important in the hobby. Pretty much killed the mag for me.

"I was also shocked when a fairly nasty letter I wrote to Russ Cochran was published in the mag. I pretty much accused him of being an elitist who was trying to inflict his own tastes onto collectors instead of publishing something for everyone in the vintage realm of the hobby. My recollection was that he pretty much stated he knew better about what was important in the hobby. Pretty much killed the mag for me."

That is hilarious, I did the same thing to Russ and he printed my letter as well. Essentially answered the same way, as in he had 50+ years experience, it should be this way, etc! He must have gotten alot of hate mail!

He actually did a pretty good job, but the mag definitely changed when he took over. I can't remember specifics because it's been what, almost 10 years since the last issue came out (early part of the decade I think)? I think I'll be heading to the basement tonight to fish some issues out though, the mag was really terrific reading.

Jay

When Russ first took over, it wasn't sooo bad, he just shifted interest to strips rather than comics, which irritated a lot of readers. Only then, after the protests, did it get weird with interviews of recent / current artists and then before it died there was a second string of good issues under Russ's editorship with some really good theme issues ... but you're right, once Gary Carter left the helm, the genie was back in the bottle and the magic gone.