• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Marketplace articles and letters

127 posts in this topic

What a great magazine. I've been able to complete the full run over the years . I started with #5. I used to look forward to it every month at my local comic shop.My favorite read.

Russ Cochran years blew unless you like old newspapers strips featuring characters that have long gone out of favour.

What a great magazine. I've been able to complete the full run over the years . I started with #5. I used to look forward to it every month at my local comic shop.My favorite read.

+1

My paid subscription basically started with issue #2, although Gary was nice enough to send me a complimentary copy of issue #1. (thumbs u

Yes indeed, the early issues were by far the best as the Carter's had full control of the magazine before it fell under Geppi's Gemstone umbrella.

Issue #31 (I believe ???) is an absolute must for GA collectors as it is an excellent reference issue with detailed write-ups on some of the major GA pedigrees out there. A precursor to the so-called Pedigree book which will never be published now.

I had a comic book story printed over two issues called, "Captain Bill", a nostalgic story about a comic store out of the late sixties or early seventies. I drew it when I was home from work, sick. When I finished, I didn't know what to do with it so I sent Gary photocopies folded into a regular size envelope, enquiring. I thought it was worth a try but I didn't expect him to take the story. It was rare for him to print any comics and I don't know if he printed any long ones at all. One day he phoned me and told me that he wanted it. I said that I would send him good copies. He told me that he was scanning the folded photocopies as we spoke. In the end it printed just fine.

I would put up some scans but I haven't been having much luck with photobucket recently.

I had a comic book story printed over two issues called, "Captain Bill", a nostalgic story about a comic store out of the late sixties or early seventies.

Would like to see that again (as soon as Photobucket stops taking its usual dump).

I had a comic book story printed over two issues called, "Captain Bill", a nostalgic story about a comic store out of the late sixties or early seventies.

Would like to see that again (as soon as Photobucket stops taking its usual dump).

....it was wonderful..... one of the highlights of the run for me..... I've thought about that story many times over the years. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

There were very few things in the collecting world that I looked forward to as much as CBM. And I never understood the entire Russ Cochran thing--hiring someone who was so completely antagonistic to the core audience and subject matter. I was surprised they printed my fairly caustic letter to them one month about the arrogance of forcing his interests on the readers. I can't believe there was a time this stuff meant enough to me to write a letter.

Russ was just plain wrong for this magazine. His style was all over the road and he dismissed any criticism. He obviously wanted the mag to be his vision and it suffered as a result.

I've heard that Gary Carter isn't even involved in comic fandom anymore. If true, that's pretty sad.

....it was wonderful..... one of the highlights of the run for me..... I've thought about that story many times over the years. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I'm with you jimbo, I remember that Captain Bill story and I also remember it fondly!

Jay

There were very few things in the collecting world that I looked forward to as much as CBM. And I never understood the entire Russ Cochran thing--hiring someone who was so completely antagonistic to the core audience and subject matter. I was surprised they printed my fairly caustic letter to them one month about the arrogance of forcing his interests on the readers. I can't believe there was a time this stuff meant enough to me to write a letter.

Ha, I'd almost forgotten I wrote a letter as well. He not only printed it but also responded (angrily--HA). Until you said that I had completely forgotten about that. I have to try to find it. I agree 100% with you, he was the wrong choice and it ruined what was once a great mag!

Jay