• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"My Silver Age book came back a PLOD" Club

42 posts in this topic

This is a club I hoped never to be a member of, or at least to wait a while longer. I subbed my Amazing Spider-man #2 for the Stan Lee private signing. It is a low grade copy with a lot of eye appeal that I have owned for about 20 years and paid a whopping $80 for. I figured it would come back about a 2.5 with a shot at 3.0. I've been impatiently checking the grading status for two weeks since I knew the signing had taken place. I found out yesterday that it is coming back a 2.5 PLOD with SA. Not sure what the resto is, but I gave it a good look before I sent it in. I obviously missed something, and I'm guessing it was a very slight trim or minor color touch.

Anyway, I thought I would see if anyone else wanted to share the story of their first submission to come back a PLOD. Not dealers who mass-submit and get one every once in a while, but books from your collection that meant something to you and you got punched in the gut a bit.

A couple of years ago I bought a Spidey 97/98 from a friend who claimed he had bought them off the newstand. I wasn't too familiar with CGC grading so I submitted both hoping for 9.0s or better. Both came back PLODs. One a 8.0, other a 7.5. Both with slight color touch. To this day,my friend swears CGC made a mistake.

I don't mind plods but I sent in an ASM 13 a couple years ago , I expected a 7.0 got a 7.5 plod. that one hurt.

right now, this is my only plod and I bought it that way.

I can think of a few books I would buy as PLODS if the price was right; nothing wrong with it as long as everyone knows what they are getting into. That ASM #13 had to sting. That is one of my favorites (as you might have guessed), and I know if I subbed mine and it came back purple I would have to cry a little.

I bought a collection 8-9 years ago that had 2 Green Lantern #40's. I sent them both in hoping for 9.2's but they both came back 9.0, 1 a PLOD.

Not a huge deal, especially since i'm a Marvel guy not DC but being a double, i was hoping to keep one and sell/trade one. Not a hell of a lot of trade value in a 9.0 PLOD Green Lantern #40 unfortunately, especially 8-9 years ago.

I had a hulk #5 I bought some time ago. It came back a PLOD-tear seal. :insane:

Sold it here on the boards with some other mistakes.

I should have just had a bon fire. I wont sell any more of my mistakes-they definitly will be burned

My second best ASM 8 just came back as a PLOD 5.0, I had upgraded it not too long ago. It looked fine to me, and I was hoping it might be a 7.0, they mentioned a stain of some kind.

One of my ASM #2's I just discovered is trimmed, I had thought it was my second best copy. I think it will end up in the 6.0 range or so, the right edge is really nice. :makepoint:

Just got the tracking number for my ASM #2 coming back from CGC. Will post a scan when I get it. :sorry:

still a cool book regardless.

I always thought 2 was an under-rated book.

I just bought a 6.0 myself :banana:

Congrats!

Amazing Fantasy 15. My personal copy for 15 years. Came back 6.5 PLOD.

What really hurt is that it had White pages ! This was about 3 years ago before the AF15 craziness. I sold it but in hindsight I should have held onto it. It would have been a good SS candidate. White pages, I still shed a tear.

I have a PLOD ASM #4 somewhere...I purposely not keeping track of where it is in the house anymore to forget that bad experience.

thanks lotrfan123 from Ebay...avoid this seller's raw books if you can.

I know I bought something from him at one point or another... Nothing big, and definitely not the #2, but I have a book of his around here someplace. Awesome.

So here it is. I thought I would really be bothered by the PLOD but I have to say I'm really not. I really like the book. It is both my first PLOD and my first signature series book, and I can tell you I'll be adding more SS books (but hopefully not too many more surprise PLODs).

ASM02CGCss.jpg

So here it is. I thought I would really be bothered by the PLOD but I have to say I'm really not. I really like the book. It is both my first PLOD and my first signature series book, and I can tell you I'll be adding more SS books (but hopefully not too many more surprise PLODs).

ASM02CGCss.jpg

I wouldn't even consider that a PLOD....writing, stains, markings, etc. are all allowed in that grade. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ASM02CGCss.jpg

I wouldn't even consider that a PLOD....writing, stains, markings, etc. are all allowed in that grade. GOD BLESS...

Something that just pooped into my head, what does the top label on a restored SS book look like?

Something that just pooped into my head, what does the top label on a restored SS book look like?

It has the yellow on the sides just like a regular SS label. As someone in another thread pointed out, in a box it looks just like a regular SS.

This is my personal copy that I proudly paid $400 for in 1990. I thought it was 7.0. I suspected there may have been some color touch on Loki but I did not expect the trimming. Needless to say, I was very disappointed when it came back this way. But it's my only copy, and I'm still happy to have it.

998163_001-1.jpg

ASM02CGCss.jpg

Very true....I agree.