• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"My Silver Age book came back a PLOD" Club

42 posts in this topic

So here it is. I thought I would really be bothered by the PLOD but I have to say I'm really not. I really like the book. It is both my first PLOD and my first signature series book, and I can tell you I'll be adding more SS books (but hopefully not too many more surprise PLODs).

ASM02CGCss.jpg

I wouldn't even consider that a PLOD....writing, stains, markings, etc. are all allowed in that grade. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Very true....I agree.

Jimbo makes an excllent point...since grading is subjective in the first place, I think there should be some judicious thought into where the "CT" is...if it's a random marking, a pen drop, etc. that pretty clearly was not intended to improve the book, no way should that book be designated restored. 2c

Nice copy and presents very nicely in the slab! :headbang:

This is my personal copy that I proudly paid $400 for in 1990. I thought it was 7.0. I suspected there may have been some color touch on Loki but I did not expect the trimming. Needless to say, I was very disappointed when it came back this way. But it's my only copy, and I'm still happy to have it.

998163_001-1.jpg

That's a freaking beautiful 5.0! Nice copy...sorry 'bout the PLOD but I'd still keep it as well... (thumbs u

Something that just pooped into my head, what does the top label on a restored SS book look like?

It has the yellow on the sides just like a regular SS label. As someone in another thread pointed out, in a box it looks just like a regular SS.

Thanks! :)

That sucks! What a bummer, sorry!

I'm in the same boat right now with my X-Men #2 that CGC has. I've got my fingers crossed that somehow, someway it comes back blue but considering who i purchased it from, i'm not real hopeful :(

My #14 is likewise trimmed, and I may go the same route. I bought it that way before I knew better, and it is a terribly obvious trim job that only a novice like my 15 year old self could have missed.

Yep, my TOS #69 had gorgeous edges too! There is a nice overhang at the top, so I am guessing it is either a right edge or back cover trim of some sort. Very disappointing!

:censored:. My bad luck continues. I subbed 3 more books, and my TOS #69 is coming back trimmed. I had high hopes for that copy, which is a bear to find in HG.

Whats the history on the TOS 69? Ebay?What seller,ect...

I know I bought it from a major dealer, but I couldn't tell you which one. I bought it about 15 years ago before I started seriously collecting TOS because it is the first appearance of Titanium Man (who I always thought was cool). I want to say it came mail order through an ad in the CBG in the pre-internet days. I wish I could remember who it was, but even if I did I highly doubt they would do anything for me.

Hopefully, you didnt pay an arm and a leg for it back then. At prices 15 years ago, you still are probably ahead of the game even with a PLOD.

About 15 years ago i bought a Superman 50 from my main LCS that went out of business like 8 years ago. I just bought a book from a local guy and we were talking and he told me that they were notorious for trimming their GA books. Sure enough, i looked at the book the other night and almost definitely the right edge has been trimmed. Bummer!!! :mad:

Here's my PLOD quandry:

I bought a Showcase 23 (3rd appearance of Green Lantern) about 10-12 years ago from a very reputable dealer. (Everyone on the boards would know who he is if I disclosed his name, but he's a good guy and I wouldn't want to sully his good name. The book just came back a PLOD (trimmed) 8.5. The book was sold to me as a VF/VF+. Anyway I paid $1500.00 back then for the book. I spoke to the dealer and he will make good on the transaction. Here's the dilemma: The book has increased in guide to well over $1800.00. I paid probably 2X guide back when I purchased it. Since it's the second-highest graded copy, should I get FMV in cash or cash/trade. I would like board members to chime in on this one. I'm also thinking that perhaps some of the big dealers with thousands of dollars worth of books carry some kind of insurance that would protect them against this sort of occurrence. Just speculation on my part. What do you think I should do?

SLR

Here's my PLOD quandry:

I bought a Showcase 23 (3rd appearance of Green Lantern) about 10-12 years ago from a very reputable dealer. (Everyone on the boards would know who he is if I disclosed his name, but he's a good guy and I wouldn't want to sully his good name. The book just came back a PLOD (trimmed) 8.5. The book was sold to me as a VF/VF+. Anyway I paid $1500.00 back then for the book. I spoke to the dealer and he will make good on the transaction. Here's the dilemma: The book has increased in guide to well over $1800.00. I paid probably 2X guide back when I purchased it. Since it's the second-highest graded copy, should I get FMV in cash or cash/trade. I would like board members to chime in on this one. I'm also thinking that perhaps some of the big dealers with thousands of dollars worth of books carry some kind of insurance that would protect them against this sort of occurrence. Just speculation on my part. What do you think I should do?

SLR

I think you should be happy that your dealer is making good on the original amount, especially after 10 - 12 years. Trust me, I'm sympathetic to your situation. Everyone that has ever experienced a PLOD probably entertained your thoughts but NO, you cannot expect this from your dealer.

Here's my PLOD quandry:

SLR

Well, with the CGC 8.5 Universal just selling for $6,300 but the PLOD 9.2(SP) selling for $1000 6 months ago,it's really hard to say what the value will be,especially TRIMMED,with no hope for it ever being a universal,where as the 9.2 Plod was just color touched,and would probably be a high grade universal book anyways.

Get what you can.

Here's my PLOD quandry:

SLR

Well, with the CGC 8.5 Universal just selling for $6,300 but the PLOD 9.2(SP) selling for $1000 6 months ago,it's really hard to say what the value will be,especially TRIMMED,with no hope for it ever being a universal,where as the 9.2 Plod was just color touched,and would probably be a high grade universal book anyways.

Get what you can.

(thumbs u Guide values are great and all, but trying to get any more than your actual investment out of this dealer is asking too much. If he will make good on that transaction you should be happy with that, as most books that get PLODded, particularly after 10 years, are just a sunk cost.

I have another one now also. Of my last group, the first just came back. It was the only one I wondered if it had color touch, and oh good I was right. I now have a 9.0 ASM Annual 1, with white pages. Hooray, it got the grade I was hoping for, with the wrong colored label. Shame too, it's beautiful. I'm sure the CT is along the front edge of the spine at the bottom. It's common for these to have some wear along there.

asmannual1frontvfnm.jpg

Here's my PLOD quandry:

SLR

Get what you can.

(thumbs u Guide values are great and all, but trying to get any more than your actual investment out of this dealer is asking too much. If he will make good on that transaction you should be happy with that, as most books that get PLODded, particularly after 10 years, are just a sunk cost.

Still a great book. Unfortunately 8.5 trimmed would probably sell for $600-700. Hopefully you can work out with the dealer a mutual solution.

That red area next to "annual" on the top left,looks suspicious.

That's just a tiny crease or wear. The CT is along the front spine edge, maybe 1.5" from the bottom up. It isn't quite as black as the rest of the edge. I couldn't open the cover far enough back to see any bleed through, it was evidently done very lightly.

That red area next to "annual" on the top left,looks suspicious.

That's just a tiny crease or wear. The CT is along the front spine edge, maybe 1.5" from the bottom up. It isn't quite as black as the rest of the edge. I couldn't open the cover far enough back to see any bleed through, it was evidently done very lightly.

It is still a pretty copy. Would you consider trying to have it removed?