• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

11x17 Macintosh Scanner recommendations?

48 posts in this topic

I had a Mustek flatbed I liked and worked well UNTIL the Mountain Lion upgrade made it no longer work and I couldn't find a suitable driver to make it work. With the latest Mountain Lion update, now my Samsung Printer doesn't even work. So annoying. Perfectly good 11X17 scanner used maybe 50 times total that I cant even use.

Just purchased an Epson WF-7510, $200 with taxes and shipping on Amazon. Will update with results a little later, I debated for many months between an Epson, a Brother and the Mustek scanners. Hopefully this was the right choice!

Just a quick bump, but the scanner I mentioned above came in today and I can't figure out why it took me 5+ years of collecting to get one of these. If you're running Windows I think you could do much worse than the Epson! I mainly bit the bullet on this one because it seemed more substantial than the Musteks.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm only familiar with flatbed scanners, not these all-in-one types. Is it able to scan items other than paper? For example could you use it to scan raw comics or slabbed books?

Looking at it, it looks like the paper is pulled through the scanner. Is that correct? If so, does the paper rest flat on something while being scanned? It's hard to tell from the photos.

Thanks.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm only familiar with flatbed scanners, not these all-in-one types. Is it able to scan items other than paper? For example could you use it to scan raw comics or slabbed books?

Looking at it, it looks like the paper is pulled through the scanner. Is that correct? If so, does the paper rest flat on something while being scanned? It's hard to tell from the photos.

Thanks.

You will need a scanner that utilizes CCD image capture, not CIS in order to scan slabs and not have your books blurry while the case is sharp and clear. CIS is a cheaper, krappier technology that has less field of focus than CCD.

I believe that the all-in-ones utilize the CIS technology, so buying a flatbed might be your only choice.

Thanks D.B.

What flatbed model do,you use?

Thanks

Brian

I'm using an older Epson with CCD tech - it's only an 8.5x11" scanner though (my wife has a HP all-in-one with a CIS scanner and I don't like it). I'm trying to upgrade to a CCD 11x17" for a Mac, but not having much luck.

Just set up my new Mustek A3 2400S

I only tried a couple tests, but so far artwork is scanning nicely, but slabs are coming out terrible :(

Ya i have two scanner for this reason and only use the Mustek A3 for art, which it does quite well.

Just a quick bump, but the scanner I mentioned above came in today and I can't figure out why it took me 5+ years of collecting to get one of these. If you're running Windows I think you could do much worse than the Epson! I mainly bit the bullet on this one because it seemed more substantial than the Musteks.

I purchased the Epson WF-7520 and I'm taking it back for a refund. Slabs turn out blurry. Decent wireless all-in-one, but poor choice for slabs because of the CIS technology. As mentioned in previous posts CCD scanners are the way to go for slabs.