• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what makes a masterpiece?

99 posts in this topic

thread is nice as is the Baker. I borrowed from GCD but did have this... the moment of self-awareness here strikes me as one of the supreme capturings- almost as much philosophically as artistically- ever to grace a comic cover- thanks

47685.jpg

That cover is incredible. It was swiped from a moment in 1935's BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Karloff's performance as he realizes the reflection in the water is himself is just amazing.

who played frankenstein in that film?

The baron was played by Colin Clive - "It's alive! It's alive!"

dammit, you rooted out the misdirection in one of the great trivia questions. it's the rare man who doesn't think the question is looking for the monster's role. i've won many a $1 bet on that one.

And who played the Bride of Frankenstein? hm

Well, Elsa Lanchester payed the bride of the monster, but she preferred the baron! I think Fay Wray played the baron's bride - anyone confirm that? (Going on IMDB is cheating!)

Valerie Hobson played Baron Frankenstein's wife. Even though Elsa plays the Monsters Mate, her co-creator Dr. Pretorius refers to her as "The Bride of Frankenstein!" I guess the Monster is sort of a son to the doctor, so he has the same last name. :)

thread is nice as is the Baker. I borrowed from GCD but did have this... the moment of self-awareness here strikes me as one of the supreme capturings- almost as much philosophically as artistically- ever to grace a comic cover- thanks

47685.jpg

That cover is incredible. It was swiped from a moment in 1935's BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Karloff's performance as he realizes the reflection in the water is himself is just amazing.

who played frankenstein in that film?

The baron was played by Colin Clive - "It's alive! It's alive!"

dammit, you rooted out the misdirection in one of the great trivia questions. it's the rare man who doesn't think the question is looking for the monster's role. i've won many a $1 bet on that one.

And who played the Bride of Frankenstein? hm

Well, Elsa Lanchester payed the bride of the monster, but she preferred the baron! I think Fay Wray played the baron's bride - anyone confirm that? (Going on IMDB is cheating!)

Valerie Hobson played Baron Frankenstein's wife. Even though Elsa plays the Monsters Mate, her co-creator Dr. Pretorius refers to her as "The Bride of Frankenstein!" I guess the Monster is sort of a son to the doctor, so he has the same last name. :)

Valerie Hobson - I remember now - there was an english rose if ever there was! And yes, I did remember Dr Pretorius and his declamation - which is followed by wedding bells if I remember rightly? Lanchester was made to wear these extremely high heeled shoes and tottered around in a white sack that looked suspiciously misshapen!

The most striking comic book cover ever....

silverstreak6.jpg

....in my opinion. You just can't beat the skulls reflected in his eyeballs.

I don't know that I've seen any better example of wartime propaganda than Schomburg's cover.

RealLife3new.jpg

Gorgeous book, and an epic cover...

What I love about it is the subtle symbolism of the juxtapositions of the sidebars...

The Alamo and a sinking ship...

The concentration camps and the American Indians...

Andrew Jackson and the slaughter of innocents...

Charles Dickens observing his tank corps ???

In this classic More Fun cover, I've always thought that Baily was not condeming the Nazis or the growing conflict in Europe, but war and aggression in general. The image of the Spectre, the embodiment of the Wrath of God, towering over a raging battle makes this one a masterpiece for me.

morefun54.jpg

Well said...

Nice commentary about one of the best GA covers ever.