• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what makes a masterpiece?

99 posts in this topic

I no longer own this book, but if a masterpiece is a cover that stirs emotion, then this is the one for me. Here's what I wrote about it in the Fawcett thread:

Published 3 months after Pearl Harbor. The cover is extraordinary, a child hero with what can only be described as blood-lust. Having already disabled three Japanese planes, he flies at a fourth, his eyes filled with rage, his hands outstretched as claws, ready to tear apart what very well may be the same planes that destroyed our navy and killed so many of our men that Sunday morning at Pearl Harbor. It's an angry cover, filled with the emotion of a nation bent on vengeance, and rightly so. It's visceral, powerful, and all in color for a dime...

master25.jpg

so, so happy to have my modest little copy. thanks again, sir.

master25.jpg

This cover is stunning! And so are the copies, well done gents!

Warren King's cover for Spectacular Adventures #2 is one of the most intensely passionate images ever created for a comic book cover,and takes full advantage of the over-sized format. The key to the image is the use of black. The girl's balck hair echoes and merges with the guy's jersey. The intense white highlights are less about light and shadow than they are a unifying motif which stresses the quality of design and the power of shape. We are not distracted by unnecessary detail from contemplation of the emotional content. And we are not sold short by the story inside, which is simply astonishing!

Adventures275.jpg

The cover of Chilling Tales #16 is a brilliantly original composition which induces terror and vertigo through the use of arcs and diagonals. (The artist Marc Chagall used to use the same devices to induce a dream-like state.) The lurid green light bouncing off the walls conveys the intensity of heat and light as the poor victim is lowered into the flames. The gleeful, uniformly maniacal expresssions on the faces of the mad monks is darkly comedic and contrasts sharply with the victim's youthful innocence. There is no hero dashing to the rescue here...a chilling tale indeed.

Like most of the very best covers, it needs no word or thought balloons!

ChillingTales1675.jpg

I no longer own this book, but if a masterpiece is a cover that stirs emotion, then this is the one for me. Here's what I wrote about it in the Fawcett thread:

Published 3 months after Pearl Harbor. The cover is extraordinary, a child hero with what can only be described as blood-lust. Having already disabled three Japanese planes, he flies at a fourth, his eyes filled with rage, his hands outstretched as claws, ready to tear apart what very well may be the same planes that destroyed our navy and killed so many of our men that Sunday morning at Pearl Harbor. It's an angry cover, filled with the emotion of a nation bent on vengeance, and rightly so. It's visceral, powerful, and all in color for a dime...

master25.jpg

I enjoyed it too...the longest owned fawcett I had, before Jeff relieved me of it (thumbs u

Warren King's cover for Spectacular Adventures #2 is one of the most intensely passionate images ever created for a comic book cover,and takes full advantage of the over-sized format. The key to the image is the use of black. The girl's balck hair echoes and merges with the guy's jersey. The intense white highlights are less about light and shadow than they are a unifying motif which stresses the quality of design and the power of shape. We are not distracted by unnecessary detail from contemplation of the emotional content. And we are not sold short by the story inside, which is simply astonishing!

Adventures275.jpg

This just went high up on my want list - a "spectacular" and evocative cover.

master25.jpg

I enjoyed it too...the longest owned fawcett I had, before Jeff relieved me of it (thumbs u

you've been on that hitler football cover awhile my boy.

What no posts since 11/26 ?

Can't leave Gator hanging out there all by himself,

Here's one I consider a masterpiece

FPFC.jpg

it is a killer book, bb. so, so cool. but, then again, everybody knows i have a soft spot for purple smoke dragons.

FPFC.jpg

it is a killer book, bb. so, so cool. but, then again, everybody knows i have a soft spot for purple smoke dragons.

Killer colors and image! :applause:

FPFC.jpg

Killer purple smoke dragons :applause:

FPFC.jpg

Killer purple smoke dragons :applause:

Its a KILLER book enough already doh!

FPFC.jpg

One of my favorite cvrs (was my old avatar)! I like how they let the art continue into the logo area, which they did for remainder of the run. Is that Edgar's old copy? :cloud9:

In this classic More Fun cover, I've always thought that Baily was not condeming the Nazis or the growing conflict in Europe, but war and aggression in general. The image of the Spectre, the embodiment of the Wrath of God, towering over a raging battle makes this one a masterpiece for me.

morefun54.jpg

Can never get enough of this cover. Certainly in my top 5 GA Classic Covers. (Possibly top 3)

In this classic More Fun cover, I've always thought that Baily was not condeming the Nazis or the growing conflict in Europe, but war and aggression in general. The image of the Spectre, the embodiment of the Wrath of God, towering over a raging battle makes this one a masterpiece for me.

morefun54.jpg

Can never get enough of this cover. Certainly in my top 5 GA Classic Covers. (Possibly top 3)

Me too.

Just an awesome masterpiece that captures the grandeur and the horror at the same time.

Adventure #44, More Fun #54, Marvel Comics #1, Detective #31 and possibly one other in my top 5.

More Fun #54...Awesome!...A few years back I owned both the "Larson" and "Nova Scotia" copies.

Here is my contribution to "Masterpieces".

The Shadow - "Partners of Peril" -- Nov. 1, 1936

Partners_Strasseradj-11group-4.jpg

Spicy Mystery - "Satan's Mistress" - October 1935

SpicyMysterySM1935-2.jpg

Dwight