• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the rarest comic in your collection?

571 posts in this topic

This one's pretty tough to find (or maybe just obscure): rare in OSPG and "8" in Gerber. So, what's Black & White & Red?

SunFun.jpg

Whoa... (worship)

That is indeed a rare book, IMHO - how's the interior page quality?

Another book I've never seen in person is Green Giant Comics.

I've come across a few Colossus Comics over the years, but they've always been brown or brittle so I've never owned one.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed this rather obscure book. Besides it's scarcity, another plus (at least to me), is it's oversized. :cloud9:

Steve, I'll dig it out and check the PQ - it's been many yrs sinced I flipped thru it, so I don't recall. Bought it from Redbeard long ago, and I think I've only seen one other low grade copy.

Thanks to everyone for posting their rarities, esp. the Colossus, Marvel Mystery Annual (Timely + Rare, seems to = demand & $$$$) and the Green Giant - another obscure book with connections to both Colossus and Motion Picture Funnies Weekly!

Anyone know if Green Giant ever was sold on the newstand?

any of the catman comics rare, if so I have one of dem (shrug)

Catman, big time :cloud9:

Don't you have a bunch rick? Would love to buy see them.

my guess is from what I hear talking to long time cat collectors, 15 is the rarest of the catman...

This one used to be thought of as pretty rare, although I think I've seen a few posted on the boards this year;

DSC02254.jpg

Jay

I searched for a few years to locate a copy, then I was able to obtain 2 copies within 2 months...but, it is definitely "rarely" offered for sale (thumbs u

This one used to be thought of as pretty rare, although I think I've seen a few posted on the boards this year;

DSC02254.jpg

Jay

I searched for a few years to locate a copy, then I was able to obtain 2 copies within 2 months...but, it is definitely "rarely" offered for sale (thumbs u

I agree with my esteemed colleague. Of all the icon covers this is the one I have found it impossible to find! At least at a price I considered sane!

DSC02254.jpg

Jay

I agree with my esteemed colleague. Of all the icon covers this is the one I have found it impossible to find! At least at a price I considered sane!

I know I have selfishly kept most of my personal purchases of the last year + to myself, but figured only fair I share a little :blush:

pep34.jpg

the one on the left is simply a partial front cover only, that my buddy friscoman gave to me last year, simply to ease my pain of not being able to find a copy...

the one on the right was my first copy I ever owned, facilitated to me by one of the BEST guys in the comics industry!

the one in the middle I kind of lucked into, but since I am not one to pass up an opportunity, I snagged it for good will

bs14FCafterct0001_edited-1-1.jpg
Great cover -- Equally great story.

Thanks everyone. I know it's not rare per say, as there are 18 copies on the census. BUT, It is the rarest comic in my collection at present.

that's what it is all about (thumbs u

Fairly tough, though a few have shown up recently...

mmannual.jpg

Sweet book

1 of my top 2 fave comics of all time. Love the thick 124 pages of clear b/w Timely story art inside! :cloud9:

I'm *not* trying to be snarky here, and appreciate the fact that Timely guys go nuts for it (as I do for some oddball Centaurs), but the book just doesn't do it for me (especially in its elevated price range).

It's acknowledged as being rare, but isn't this book - in effect - a Canadian reprint?

(great looking copy btw, Richard)

Steve;

I believe the Cap Annual is a Canadian reprint edition while this Marvel Mystery Annual is actually printed in the USA.

Either way, I do certainly agree with your point of view since all other reprint books and in particular, Canadian reprints sell for a discount or even fractions of their original books. Yet these 2 annuals go for substantial mutiples to their original books. (shrug)

I just saw the thread title about rarity. I posted this rare thing.

Now I'm just embarrassed that I own this POS.

DSC02254.jpg

Jay

I know I have selfishly kept most of my personal purchases of the last year + to myself, but figured only fair I share a little :blush:

pep34.jpg

the one on the left is simply a partial front cover only, that my buddy friscoman gave to me last year, simply to ease my pain of not being able to find a copy...

the one on the right was my first copy I ever owned, facilitated to me by one of the BEST guys in the comics industry!

the one in the middle I kind of lucked into, but since I am not one to pass up an opportunity, I snagged it for good will

GAtor that is sick! I used to think this issue was non-existant and you find THREE copies in ONE year??? Unreal!

While we're on this topic, I've always dreamt about putting together PEP 23 (because I will never afford a 22), up to this issue, 34. Can you give me your expert opinion on which of those issues you think are the toughest to find (and therefore the ones I'll have to give my last born for)?

Jay

DSC02254.jpg

Jay

pep34.jpg

GAtor that is sick! I used to think this issue was non-existant and you find THREE copies in ONE year??? Unreal!

While we're on this topic, I've always dreamt about putting together PEP 23 (because I will never afford a 22), up to this issue, 34. Can you give me your expert opinion on which of those issues you think are the toughest to find (and therefore the ones I'll have to give my last born for)?

Jay

talking with "the" pep expert 143ksk, he told me 26 was the next toughest... I have seen all issues between 22-33 for sale though, in the past year...a few multiple times...only the 34 I have not seen publicly for sale...both my copies were obtained through private purchases

Fairly tough, though a few have shown up recently...

mmannual.jpg

Sweet book

1 of my top 2 fave comics of all time. Love the thick 124 pages of clear b/w Timely story art inside! :cloud9:

I'm *not* trying to be snarky here, and appreciate the fact that Timely guys go nuts for it (as I do for some oddball Centaurs), but the book just doesn't do it for me (especially in its elevated price range).

It's acknowledged as being rare, but isn't this book - in effect - a Canadian reprint?

(great looking copy btw, Richard)

Steve;

I believe the Cap Annual is a Canadian reprint edition while this Marvel Mystery Annual is actually printed in the USA.

Either way, I do certainly agree with your point of view since all other reprint books and in particular, Canadian reprints sell for a discount or even fractions of their original books. Yet these 2 annuals go for substantial mutiples to their original books. (shrug)

I just saw the thread title about rarity. I posted this rare thing.

Now I'm just embarrassed that I own this POS.

If it will make you feel better I'll gladly take it from you. :grin: