• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Supersnipe Comic Art Gallery
2 2

28 posts in this topic

Love the sound of this place - anyone have pics? 

The counter resonates with me as my LCS had a similar approach when I was a kid. All of the back issues were behind the counter on shelves. I don't know if this was before the white long boxes (when did those come out anyway?) or if the owner was cheap, but all the back issues were in brown boxes (whatever would work) and the owner would drop the Iron Man, Hulk, or whatever box I was looking to buy from on the counter. I was too short for the counter so they had a step up and I was barely able to peer over the top of the box and flip through the selections. I filled a lot of my Iron Man run through this method and filling a hole was priority over condition so a decent number of the issues weren't great. The best issue condition wise was the first Thanos so I was lucky there. 

On 6/10/2020 at 7:21 AM, JadeGiant said:

Love the sound of this place - anyone have pics? 

The counter resonates with me as my LCS had a similar approach when I was a kid. All of the back issues were behind the counter on shelves. I don't know if this was before the white long boxes (when did those come out anyway?) or if the owner was cheap, but all the back issues were in brown boxes (whatever would work) and the owner would drop the Iron Man, Hulk, or whatever box I was looking to buy from on the counter. I was too short for the counter so they had a step up and I was barely able to peer over the top of the box and flip through the selections. I filled a lot of my Iron Man run through this method and filling a hole was priority over condition so a decent number of the issues weren't great. The best issue condition wise was the first Thanos so I was lucky there. 

I never went to Supersnipe but the method you describe is one I recall being not uncommon in the Eighties, especially in smaller stores where it was often a one-person operation and they couldn't easily work the register and also keep an eye out to prevent shoplifting at the same time. This was before security cameras - or rather before it was common for a small business operating on thin margins to have them. I also think a factor was reducing the amount of handling of the vintage books, especially when comics were more "for kids" who would sometimes get excited and not be careful with them. This sort of thing went away in the 90s from what I remember, as backing boards and cheaper security cameras became more common.

Hi all - new member here - I have an interesting item I'd like some help with.

I appreciate this is an old thread (last post June 2020) but perhaps Exile on Main Street is still around? Or Marvel Team-Up #18?

I've attached a photo of my item. It's a hand colored Supersnipe gallery Star Wars exhibition poster.

IMG_2736.thumb.jpg.c80130f95efff5658d819c34b90e947b.jpg

The story I have is that this was hand-colored to be displayed at the Supersnipe store or gallery. The original purchaser bought this directly from the store back in the day, along with a regular Star Wars exhibition poster. A few years ago he sold them both - I picked this up from that buyer, so in theory I'm the third owner.

If anyone has any more information I would love to hear it. I haven't seen another copy of this poster colored in this way, or with this back story, so I'd love to chase down more of the history if I can.

Thanks!

Edited by R00ster
Date error (last post)

On 1/25/2013 at 3:38 PM, AtlasFan said:

I would hop on the express bus from the Bronx and visit the Supersnipe Comic Store in Yorkville in the 70s at least once a month. Very small shop, but it was one of only a few comic shops in the area that had decent back issues. I remember buying a near complete set of Peanuts first edition books there.

The other shop I visited (when my parents would take me) would be the ComicCove in Yonkers - I got most of my SA books there. My dad could not believe it when I paid $20 for a HULK #6!

lol - yup - sounds exactly like my dad at exactly the same point in time  lol

Edited by pemart1966

Ressurrecting an old thread here, but I just discovered not only this store, but also this site/thread.  Not Star Wars related - although I'm now going to explore that facet - I just saw this Conan print that was apparently OA done for this print, and now I have to keep an eye out for this print, lol.

supersnipe conan print.jpeg