• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help! Nice ASM #129...but with Biro Marks

14 posts in this topic

Hi, I've got the chance of a fairly good (raw) ASM #129.

I guess it would rate 5.5/6.0 or FN, but has around 8 to 10 pen marks on the letters page where a previous owner has underlined a number of words in blue biro for some reason, mainly the names of Marvel characters, where mentioned in the letters.

The dealer is looking for around £115 ($180).

I was really tempted by the comic and nearly bought it till I looked inside, but the marks bug me a bit and wondered how they would affect grading/value.

Obviously, the seller didn't think it was a problem!

I'd appreciate any comments, thanks

I would definitely leave it. I sold a very nice FN+ copy for £85 earlier this year.

Did the dealer mention the pen marks before you spotted them? If not, then I'd avoid buying from him anyway. He's certainly overcharging IMHO.

Yeah, I thought price was high at £115 (and that was with £10 off).

Needless to say, they didn't mention the biro marks... lucky I checked the comic myself - it looked good bagged.

They tend to be quite expensive generally with the comics they sell.

Thanks for your comments

A case of being patient and looking out for a decent copy, I guess!

Agree with the previous posters, for that price if you're patient enough you should be able to nab a 7.0/7.5

I agree also; "Patience is a virtue" (and I'm definitely not Mike Golden).

Good luck to you; that issue's been my "Moby " for years... :frustrated:

that's a lot of money for that book. not saying it isn't a nice book to own. but put out a feeler in the "want to buy section" here and I suspect you could get a nicer copy for that much or one in that condition for a lot less. no reason to pay over guide on that book in that condition, guide is high enough already.

and if you're going to charge $180 for a comic you need to check the insides! that's just not right.

I compromised on that one. My copy looks to be about a VG or VG+ but the Marvel value stamp is removed, so I got it for $20.

Then the interior has been replaced as well = major restoration.

OK, I gues it wasn't the stamp, some small doohicky on an interior page is clipped...doesn't impact story. for $20 i was ok with it.