• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An In-Depth Comparison of Green Label and Blue Label Grading
7 7

150 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, D84 said:

That doesn't look right. There's no page quality under the grade.

The serial number checks out, but also on website no page quality is listed.

Looks like the ball was dropped several times with this book.

Most Katy Keenes seem to be incomplete, people DID cut out the paper dolls;) Seems like that must have happened here.

Weird that they noted it as incomplete...but my WF 2 is that way, too.  this was a recent submission, the label says restored but it's got a blue label.  I wonder if a change in grading labels was made and no one told us?

2060746201_worldsfinest2cgc001.thumb.jpg.ce47d8388759923127bcf54dacb6adfe.jpg

Maybe they did?

Sometimes, if restoration is very small, CGC has been known to give GA a blue label.  I don't know if they have given that type of pass on SA or BA.

Nice World's Finest 2.  I've always loved that cover.

52 minutes ago, D84 said:

Maybe they did?

Sometimes, if restoration is very small, CGC has been known to give GA a blue label.  I don't know if they have given that type of pass on SA or BA.

Nice World's Finest 2.  I've always loved that cover.

Thanks, yes...I've seen notes with small amount of glue, or color. I've never seen blue labels that say "restoration" or "incomplete" until now.

On 8/7/2018 at 8:14 PM, skypinkblu said:

3.0 blue incomplete? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362400670724

Being incomplete doesn't automatically garner a 0.5

If a book is incomplete because it is missing an entire page (or more), that would be automatic 0.5

However, a book may be incomplete and have less missing than a whole page.  For instance, a book that is incomplete because it has a Marvel Value Stamp cut out (but is otherwise complete) can still be in the Good/Very Good range.

If the Marvel Value Stamp is missing because the entire page is missing, however, we're back to 0.5

On 8/9/2018 at 4:56 PM, skypinkblu said:

Most Katy Keenes seem to be incomplete, people DID cut out the paper dolls;) Seems like that must have happened here.

Weird that they noted it as incomplete...but my WF 2 is that way, too.  this was a recent submission, the label says restored but it's got a blue label.  I wonder if a change in grading labels was made and no one told us?

2060746201_worldsfinest2cgc001.thumb.jpg.ce47d8388759923127bcf54dacb6adfe.jpg

This one is an error.  Even though the restoration found was listed on the label, the category didn't get changed from "Universal" to whatever the Restoration category should have been ("A-1", "B-3", etc.)

If you would like to send this book back in, CGC will print a new (corrected) label for the book.

8 hours ago, BradleyX2 said:

If a book is incomplete because it is missing an entire page (or more), that would be automatic 0.5

However, a book may be incomplete and have less missing than a whole page.  For instance, a book that is incomplete because it has a Marvel Value Stamp cut out (but is otherwise complete) can still be in the Good/Very Good range.

If the Marvel Value Stamp is missing because the entire page is missing, however, we're back to 0.5

Thanks for answering @BradleyX2  The eBay description says that it's missing panels affects story. Have you stopped using green labels?

8 hours ago, BradleyX2 said:

This one is an error.  Even though the restoration found was listed on the label, the category didn't get changed from "Universal" to whatever the Restoration category should have been ("A-1", "B-3", etc.)

If you would like to send this book back in, CGC will print a new (corrected) label for the book.

I just got it back a few weeks ago. I'll send it back if CGC is going to pay for the shipping. Just pm me, and thanks. If they are not, I'm not planning on selling it at this time, so I don't need to pay for more shipping.

12 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Thanks for answering @BradleyX2  The eBay description says that it's missing panels affects story. Have you stopped using green labels?

CGC still uses Green label to Qualify books, but when a book is incomplete, the book still has to be in mid-high grade to Qualify it.

If a book is already low grade because of other defects (creases, tears, stains, etc.) the book doesn't merit Qualification anymore (since the grade difference would between the Qualified grade and the Universal grade would be minimal). In the case of the Katy Keene comic, the book probably would have graded around a 4.0 if it didn't also have the missing piece.

1 hour ago, BradleyX2 said:

CGC still uses Green label to Qualify books, but when a book is incomplete, the book still has to be in mid-high grade to Qualify it.

If a book is already low grade because of other defects (creases, tears, stains, etc.) the book doesn't merit Qualification anymore (since the grade difference would between the Qualified grade and the Universal grade would be minimal). In the case of the Katy Keene comic, the book probably would have graded around a 4.0 if it didn't also have the missing piece.

So a book with an incomplete story (as it says in the notes) can now be a 3.0?  Thank you very much for responding, but I'm getting confused. This is new?

22 hours ago, BradleyX2 said:

As always, Bradley finds time to help us with questions, much appreciated ! However, the 'rules' on this stuff can get confusing and I am still confused. Per your statement above, why is this not graded 0.5 ???? This is the PGX Universal 4.5 from another thread. If PGX gave it a 4.5, it can't be a mid high grade book, pages are missing, why isn't it a 0.5 ?

224751591_ScreenShot2018-08-07at9_42_55AM.thumb.png.0183e615045796bf756c36edb54ccd67.png

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:55 AM, BradleyX2 said:

Hi Bradley!  :foryou:

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

As always, Bradley finds time to help us with questions, much appreciated ! However, the 'rules' on this stuff can get confusing and I am still confused. Per your statement above, why is this not graded 0.5 ???? This is the PGX Universal 4.5 from another thread. If PGX gave it a 4.5, it can't be a mid high grade book, pages are missing, why isn't it a 0.5 ?

224751591_ScreenShot2018-08-07at9_42_55AM.thumb.png.0183e615045796bf756c36edb54ccd67.png

When the books are lower grade, it becomes a judgement call as to whether they should be Qualified or not...

8 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

When the books are lower grade, it becomes a judgement call as to whether they should be Qualified or not...

But we are getting contradicting conditions about this. Per Bradley...

'CGC still uses Green label to Qualify books, but when a book is incomplete, the book still has to be in mid-high grade to Qualify it.'

'If a book is incomplete because it is missing an entire page (or more), that would be automatic 0.5'

Based on these factors, this book does not qualify for mid-high grade and it is missing an entire page., so it should be a 0.5 .  (shrug)

Edited by Bomber-Bob

On 4/24/2018 at 9:12 PM, Philflound said:

Some people prefer to have a downgraded blue label vs a qualified green label. If the price sticker is small, it may not detract much. Sort of like a piece of tape. Depends on size and location too.

I have a copy -- CGC 9.4 blue label with very small adhesive residue on the back cover.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

But we are getting contradicting conditions about this. Per Bradley...

'CGC still uses Green label to Qualify books, but when a book is incomplete, the book still has to be in mid-high grade to Qualify it.'

'If a book is incomplete because it is missing an entire page (or more), that would be automatic 0.5'

Based on these factors, this book does not qualify for mid-high grade and it is missing an entire page., so it should be a 0.5 .  (shrug)

I think the confusing part is when he used the term "mid-high" grade, correct? I'm betting this description, in CGC terms, is more of a broad brushstroke than a fine line...

22 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

So a book with an incomplete story (as it says in the notes) can now be a 3.0?  Thank you very much for responding, but I'm getting confused. This is new?

No, it's always been this way.

Some people assume that if a book is incomplete, (and it is not Qualified) that it is an automatic 0.5

Really, it depends on just how incomplete the book is. If the book is incomplete because it is missing an entire page (or more), and it is not being Qualified, then it will be a 0.5.  However if it's incomplete just because it's missing a part of a page, say the size of a Marvel Value Stamp (and it is not being Qualified), it can still be in the Good/Very Good range.

That doesn't happen often though, because if a book *is* missing the Marvel Value Stamp, it's usually either high enough grade to Qualify, or low enough grade that it doesn't merit Qualifiying, and will be somewhere in the 0.5-1.5 range.

22 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Hey Bob!

A book that is otherwise a 4.0 is really right on the cusp of whether a book with a missing page (or more) merits being Qualified. Any lower, and I'm sure it would have been given a Universal 0.5

On 8/10/2018 at 10:55 PM, BradleyX2 said:

If a book is incomplete because it is missing an entire page (or more), that would be automatic 0.5.

First off, I believe Bradley is a totally competent grader and an extremely helpful member of the CGC Staff.  You rock, B!  :headbang:

That being said, there has always been some level of inconsistency at CGC that goes well beyond the oft-quoted "grading is subjective" observation.  Is this because certain readily quantifiable and easy-to-remember "objective" benchmarks/standards (such as "a book with a completely detached cover shall never receive a grade higher than 4.0 VG" or  "a book with detached and completely split cover shall never receive a grade higher than 1.0 FR" or "a low-grade book with one or more missing pages shall receive a Universal Grade of 0.5 PR") are not memorialized in a written grading rubric?  Or do some graders sometimes forget/misapply these objective (not subjective) benchmarks?  I cannot say why it happens.  However, I can say (with absolute certainty) that it does happen.  Here are five examples of low-grade books with one or more missing pages that were not awarded Universal (Blue Label) Grades of 0.5 PR:

Q-20c8.thumb.jpg.839f57782082ab65e8138b7e65494d30.jpgQ-25c1.thumb.jpg.3f46f69d2d5df661f2080e513800d4ed.jpgQ-30c7.thumb.jpg.f92f08a36ffc3da8ba48a33f7ccb49f0.jpgQ-30c8.thumb.jpg.4b05af1d1c16217ec130f8c326dee608.jpgQ-30c9.thumb.jpg.2382cabc87ec1ba59b002466f8f4727e.jpg

Mistakes happen -- especially when business is good and the workflow is heavy, the grading staff is ever-changing, the QA/QC department is overworked, and/or issues like this are not addressed by company principals or department managers/supervisors during regular staff meetings or through periodic in-house "refresher" training.