• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An In-Depth Comparison of Green Label and Blue Label Grading
7 7

150 posts in this topic

From what I've read here on the boards, it isn't allowed. A creator cannot just confirm a sig or sketch for a book to qualify for an SS label. Has it happened previously? Yes. Examples of this have been discussed here before.

Why would a blue 9.4 go up in grade if it were to become a yellow label? If the original sig doesn't cover a defect or wasn't done in a way that detracts from the art I wouldn't see CGC downgrading for just a name(writing). Lots of high grade pedigree books have writing or date stamps and those aren't downgraded. The grade has the same chance of changing (up or down) as any blue label book cracked out and submitted for SS would have.

I emailed CGC yesterday with my questions after doing some more research and finding that people have done this. We had a back and forth discussion, much to my dismay and growing frustration with their policy. It's pretty much as you said; the artist cannot verify the sig.

I argued several points without effect. Their stance is that any books with signatures not witnessed through their service are possible forgeries.

In this market, possible = probable = worse than worthless (with some exceptions).

I don't want to re-hash the entire discussion, but if anyone is interested in seeing the email messages, just let me know and I'll post it.

Oh, and I also inquired about books that were issued in very limited runs with sigs before going on sale. Same answer. :facepalm:

Regarding your question about the grade going up, I asked because I read that CGC sometimes lowers the grade for a blue label book with a signature instead of putting it into a green label (which they confirmed in the emails). So naturally, if it were to be verified and upgraded to a yellow label, then that deduction should be negated (in a perfect world).

Not sure about how high a comic with a detached cover could be graded by CGC, but one with a centerfold loose at one staple can grade at least as high as 9.6:

Amazing Adventures 7 CGC 9.6

Look at the supersized image and notice that it clearly states on a BLUE label, "Centerfold detached from one staple only."

This is a HUGE discrepancy in CGC and Overstreet grading standards, which shocked me at first. I'm mostly glad that I noticed it in the picture because I would have been upset if I had purchased it and then noticed it upon arrival. I put some level of trust in CGC's grading and definitely trust it more than a typical seller's word on eBay, but I don't trust CGC over and above Overstreet to the point of wanting to pay a premium price for this comic in "9.6" condition.

Hello - ZZ and-Thank you for the information- you have done your homework. Recently -ebay listed several Timely's-- And all those caps had the same" issues"-incomplete-- some had blue labels others green--All in all there does seem to be to much flip-flopping around-I myself have green labeled with books that I know should of been universal--One case being the use of archival tape (acid free) VS regular tape---anyway thanks for the thread

GREAT POST!

I have 2 scenarios please help I have a head cold and cant think properly,

example one Our Army of War #83 with cover detached and taped back on.

example 2 Justice League of America #1 cover detached no tape.

I want a universal blue grading would I get them if requested when submitted or not!!??

Quick question, I have an old Marvel Mystery Comics #10 which was graded at 3.5 Qualified (Staples Replaced, Incomplete - Missing Centrefold).

I was recently able to get another donor copy of this book with the centrefold. If I married the donor centrefold to my book could I expect a slight grade bump or will it simply come back again as 3.5 Qualified (Staples Replaced, Married Centrefold)?

I assumed at least SOME points were taken off due to the incomplete nature of my book but was not 100% sure if the qualified label covered that defect fully.

Quick question, I have an old Marvel Mystery Comics #10 which was graded at 3.5 Qualified (Staples Replaced, Incomplete - Missing Centrefold).

I was recently able to get another donor copy of this book with the centrefold. If I married the donor centrefold to my book could I expect a slight grade bump or will it simply come back again as 3.5 Qualified (Staples Replaced, Married Centrefold)?

I assumed at least SOME points were taken off due to the incomplete nature of my book but was not 100% sure if the qualified label covered that defect fully.

That all depends on who does the replacement . . . ;)

It will be done professionally (cough cough herorestoration.net) :)

Depending upon several factors: the indicators in the book now (as to staple replacement) such as rust, staining or obvious physical modifications, the matching qualities and condition of the new centerfold, and the condition of the existing staples and/or replacement staples; I believe there is a remote chance that the work could be done (by a professional) such that it would be undetectable. That's a whole lot of "ifs" however. :grin:

I don't think there would be a grade bump. The Green label alone accounted for the staple replacement and missing centerfold in the original submission.

Thanks - That is what I was assuming. All changes are not supposed to be undetected, as I will not sell a comic without anything less than full disclosure - same when I grade it CGC would be given a list of all work done.

I figured the qualified label already took it into account, but was hoping it might warrent a .5 grade bump. At least the issue will be much more collectible now being complete.

I have a FF#1 Blue Label off white to white 4.0 with "Stan Lee '75" on the cover in pen.Even with your great analysis here I can't understand why some ar egreen label and others are blue label with pen on the cover.

Any body able to clarify this?

Thanks

Depending upon several factors: the indicators in the book now (as to staple replacement) such as rust, staining or obvious physical modifications, the matching qualities and condition of the new centerfold, and the condition of the existing staples and/or replacement staples; I believe there is a remote chance that the work could be done (by a professional) such that it would be undetectable. That's a whole lot of "ifs" however. :grin:

I don't think there would be a grade bump. The Green label alone accounted for the staple replacement and missing centerfold in the original submission.

I think a grade bump is definitely possible.

I think a grade bump is definitely possible.

Reading over the posts again, I agree. There should be some merit given to the book being complete vs. incomplete. (thumbs u