• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An In-Depth Comparison of Green Label and Blue Label Grading
7 7

150 posts in this topic

What color label to convention sketch books get with signatures on the inside of the book?  I have a few Mignola convention sketch books but he signed & numbered them in the interior.  Thank you.

Hey everyone.  New to this chat space and I don't have much experience with green labels.

I do have a couple GA books that I may send in for grading but both are detached at bottom staple.  If I submitted them, would I get a green label or blue ??  I can see category 2 green and blue labels w/ cover detached one staple, so I'm a little confused as to how CGC would handle my situation.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me better understand .  Thanks in advance.

On 2/13/2023 at 6:12 AM, BowmanL said:

I do have a couple GA books that I may send in for grading but both are detached at bottom staple.  If I submitted them, would I get a green label or blue ??

The CGC-assigned grade category (Universal or Qualified) will ordinarily depend on the condition grade of the book being examined.  Qualified Grades are awarded at the sole discretion of the CGC Grader, and normally only to specimens with condition grades higher than about 4.0/4.5 aside from the single "qualifying" defect (in your case, the partially detached cover).  However, a submitter may request that a specific book be awarded a Universal Grade and encapsulated with a Blue Label, regardless of that book's condition.

As an aside, feel free to start a thread in the PGM / Spare-A-Grade Forum, if you'd like to receive unofficial grade estimates from boardies more familiar with CGC standards.  :foryou:

On 1/23/2023 at 1:14 PM, Panda2 said:

To further confound things - this book was graded in 2022 - with "Neal Adams written on cover in marker" but non-qualified?

lf.jpg

This is good example (and one that's actually 100% consistent with CGC standards).  Rather than ignore the cover signature and award the book a Qualified Grade based on its "otherwise condition" (its condition aside from the signature), the CGC Grader appears to have treated the cover signature as a defect and assigned the book a Universal Grade (because no "defects" were ignored).  The decision to award the book a Universal Grade was probably done at the request of the submitter (as it's an option open to any submitter).

The Qualified grade SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE ALSO HAD the actual higher grade of the book on the label as though it did not have the defect.

The graders know what the two grades and it relays a lot of valuable information to the buyers.

I've stated that and stood by it for as long as I've been here (and probably even in this very thread), and it makes NO sense not to have it. 

On 12/15/2023 at 6:18 PM, VintageComics said:

The Qualified grade SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE ALSO HAD the actual higher grade of the book on the label as though it did not have the defect.

The graders know what the two grades and it relays a lot of valuable information to the buyers.

I've stated that and stood by it for as long as I've been here (and probably even in this very thread), and it makes NO sense not to have it. 

hm

On 12/25/2023 at 10:57 PM, Corona smith said:

Or they could get rid of BS Qualified grades!? If a books missing a stamp then it’s missing a stamp. It shouldn’t be graded as if it didn’t have a major defect.  

Yep. These 'pretend grades' are stupid.