• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your top ten golden age acquisitions in 2010?

308 posts in this topic

So here we have our first christmas game for 2010 - at least I think it is! It's probably not very original - in fact the idea came from a posting from Scrooge over on the group shot thread of his amazing acquisitions of 2010!

What are your top ten golden age acquisitions in 2010?

I think it will be fascinating to see what each collector thinks - and for some, such as Cheetah, who has posted so much wonderful stuff in recent months, it may prove agonisingly difficult. But I think we are going to be awed by some of the contributions here if everyone plays!

Oh the agony!

So, anyway, here are my ten, in no particular order:

CRIME DOES NOT PAY #24. When I first saw this cover in the photojournal many years ago, my first reaction was probably the same as yours - did they really put that on the cover of a comic book? I was fortunate to obtain a reasonable copy from Larry Curcio at Avalon Comics, which I foolishly sold a few years back and instantly regretted! You know that feeling, right? Then this copy popped up on C'link and I hummed and hawed over it so long that someone else swooped before I had made up my mind. And only then I realised I should have taken it. Undaunted, I set up camp, haunting C'link whenever I could. And just as instinct was telling me, there it came again, a lot more pricey - but I knew what the seller had paid and bargained it down to a more reasonable ask. And this time I'm not selling! You can have the house, the car, the wife, but not this comic!

CimeDoesNotPay2455.jpg

FANTASTIC COMICS #8

Like CDNP #24, when I saw this in the photojournal, I simply could not believe my eyes! But there are so many tiny images to take in that I was very late to notice this one "hidden" in this run. Hmmm, makes me wonder what else is in ther still waiting for me to "discover".

FantasticComics875PinnacleHill.jpg

FIGHT COMICS #14

..and suddenly I was hooked on these early Fights, many of which you never see in any condition! Absurdly, copies were there in quite ridiculously high grades, with colors so bright they appear illuminated from within - and Cheetah can top even this offering, cant you Jeff?

FightComics1496MileHigh.jpg

So there I was one night plodding through a certain nameless web site's over priced listings when this cherry popped up! I'd seen several hi grade copies and bid high only to see prices go stratospheric, so I literally could not believe my eyes! And having learned my lesson with the CDNP I must have placed my winning bid in under a second!

RangersComics1492Pennsylvania.jpg

Okay, five more to go! The next two go together...

When I saw these two in Mr Bedrock's sales thread I almost had a heart attack! Two of the most desired comics on my list which, like the CDNP #24 I had long ago sold and was now desperate to get back - and here after five years of searching, here they were! Just when my cashflow was at its lowest ebb after a year of amazing opportunities! Surely someone would gobble them up any second - I kept checking back, but no, they lingered, and Richard and I had a very civilized conversation, and he made it possible for me to take them after all. So hats off to Mr Bedrock, "Hip hip...!"

NAMORA #2 Cookville copy

Namora280Cookeville.jpg

NAMORA #3 Cosmic Aeroplane

Namora380CosmicAeroplane.jpg

WONDERWORLD #7

I was fortunate to pick up three great Lou Fine Wonderworlds this year and the #9 and #11 are in much better shape than this copy of #7. But the cover presents well and image wise, it's really a no-brainer! Candidate for best Fox cover, best Lou Fine cover, this image is so far ahead of its time I still dont think we have quite caught up to him yet...not sure he was even human.. a time traveller perhaps? Dead lucky to get this one for the price I paid - I think everyone must have been sleeping!

wonderworld745.jpg

SUPER MYSTERY V6 #3

I love these women in peril covers with only one caveat! If she aint gonna be rescued then where is the suspense? Well, the damsel is definitely being rescued on this astonishing cover. I remember making the long trek from Manchester to London for a comic mart back in the nineties. Was so tired when I got there I must've been sleeping at Harley's stall, only to have a great London collector (hello Frank!) pull one out of a box I'd just been looking through! Number one on my wants list at the time, with no prospect of another copy turning up soon, if ever! Hence delighted to have a top copy at last. (Thing is, you see, I really, really want to be the hero rescuing the gal here...)

Super-MysteryComicsV63CGC80Ohiopedigree.jpg

Okay, fanfare! Roll of drums! Aaaand, my final pick for top 10 in 2010 is - a Timely! A Timely? But Namoras apart I dont collect Timelys! I collect Fox and Fiction House and, and classic covers of damsels in distress! How could I have lost focus so easily?

Well, this is a cover that was unknown to me until I saw Richard's amazing high grade copy in his sales thread. At just north of $4000 that copy is a steal, but way beyond my current means. Then this copy turned up recently in a C'link auction ending way past my bedtime in the UK, and I put up a hail mary bid which I was quite surprised to see win the auction. What a classic cover! What a classic misjudgement! Well, who can say?

Like the Super Mystery just posted, this cover seems to have something going on in every part of it...and it has to be one of the most colorful covers of all time. Imagine what the Mile High copy must look like!

USAComics375.jpg

So there you have it folks! My top ten buys of 2010! What will the New Year bring I wonder?

Great books, but I see a theme, Michael...women, fire...

Oh happy day campers! If you post your fave books in this thread Dr Sharon Freud will give you a free analysis! The doctor will see you now! Bwa hah hah!

Post at your own risk!

So, Sharon doctor, let me tell you about my childhood... :cloud9:

That's a great year BB :applause:

If I had the books from Alanna over my collecting life, it would be a successful endeavour. All those in one year, well, ... that's it, I'm going back to collecting Classics Illustrated. :hail:

Top Ten covers I picked up in 2010 as follows in no particular order and it may change tomorrow if I see something I forgot.

And I am not sure that I can count to 10

4783524399_5770554ea5.jpg

Great books, BB for sure. I love the Yankee #4 cover. Charles Sultan, isn't it?

Here's my top 10. My focus is pretty narrow these days. I already sold the last one. Love the cover, but needed to recover the funds for the purchase of the Supes #1...

superman1.jpg

superman7.jpg

superman12.jpg

superman137.5.jpg

superman16.jpg

superman20.jpg

superman21.jpg

action47.jpg

action49.jpg

batman15.jpg

I don't know if I can list a top ten, but here's a few nice acquisitions from a year in which I spent way too much on comics. But without a wife complaining about how much I was spending, why the heck not?

Batman1.jpg

startling490001.jpg

Exciting62.jpg

ThrillingComics64.jpg

Planet21.jpg

FightingYank20.jpg

Top Ten covers I picked up in 2010 as follows in no particular order and it may change tomorrow if I see something I forgot.

And I am not sure that I can count to 10

4783524399_5770554ea5.jpg

Great books, BB for sure. I love the Yankee #4 cover. Charles Sultan, isn't it?

I haven't checked for the artist but Sultan is the one that usually gets credit for all that stuff from Chesler. Fun to see but most of my recent purchase are either incomplete or in poor/fair condition and touched up a bit with photoshop.

Here's my top 10. My focus is pretty narrow these days. I already sold the last one. Love the cover, but needed to recover the funds for the purchase of the Supes #1...

superman1.jpg

superman20.jpg

batman15.jpg

Love those sups. I managed to pick up a coverless Sup 14 and Sup 20 in fair condition but no luck on the Sup 1. I am still hoping I can find a cheap Sup 2.

Not sure I would have sold a VFN-NM Batman 15 to pay for it. But I sold a Batman 14, 18 and 32 to help pay for Batman 13 and 17 a few years ago. Still trying to get back a copy of Batman 14.

I don't know if I can list a top ten, but here's a few nice acquisitions from a year in which I spent way too much on comics. But without a wife complaining about how much I was spending, why the heck not?

Batman1.jpg

startling490001.jpg

Exciting62.jpg

ThrillingComics64.jpg

Planet21.jpg

FightingYank20.jpg

You sir, have excellent tastes. :headbang:

So there I was one night plodding through a certain nameless web site's over priced listings when this cherry popped up! I'd seen several hi grade copies and bid high only to see prices go stratospheric, so I literally could not believe my eyes! And having learned my lesson with the CDNP I must have placed my winning bid in under a second!

RangersComics1492Pennsylvania.jpg

This cover it was made me fall in love with early Fight and Ranger books. I picked up a 4.5 copy of this book this past year but your copy is just incredible. Absolutely amazing books Alanna.