• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Arch's official "the end is coming/here" index

46 posts in this topic

This thread requires an update.

Arch has really dropped the ball with indexing "end is nigh" threads. :taptaptap:

Waitaminute, did the end happen and we didn't realise it? :ohnoez:

This thread has played out. It is now closed.

It's pretty clear that there's a "feud" agenda here. A few of us here seem to have decided that these boards are their soap box to air personal grievances - that this place is a medium in which back-biting and and petty squabbles are the measure of board interest. That's a mistake.

Buster is banned. No single-purpose "shill" IDs are allowed on these boards. BTW, don't think you can hide from me. Posting from your friend's computer is amusing, but hardly protection. If you make yourself a nuisance with these fake ID's, I WILL remove you. If you want to see dictatorial enforcement of the rules, keep it up. I'm tired of dealing with this. Push me. Watch how it plays out. I'm more than willing to just simply remove members without any real concrete provocation other than a general history of contentiousness. Get on with a more peaceful and friendly board atmosphere. Or I will make it happen through the much more convenient approach of simply getting rid of everyone who appears to be contributing negativity.

I guess a few of you think I'm kidding, or that I won't really eliminate this headache through such harsh measures. You're wrong. If you specialize in pushing the envelope, ok. I will specialize in removing you from the envelope.

It boggles my mind that some number of you simply can't or won't understand the Terms of Use. There are alot of boards on the net. Many of them over time develop a culture of cliques, and jaded, bitter, short-sighted negativity. This eventually drives the purpose of the boards into the ground and changes the culture of those forums from a gathering place for people to meet and talk into what is instead a private club for a few individuals. This is true because inevitably there are a number of people who have infinite patience for conflict, while those who simply don't want to spend their time on conflict eventually dissappear out of fatigue. Usually the level of banter and joke-around posting goes up, while the quality posts that are related to the actual TOPIC disappear.

Is this really what you want for these boards? Because some of you are well on the way to creating this kind of person_without_enough_empathyy-high-school-clique atmosphere. You should think hard about what your role ought to be on these boards.

Often those who drive the others out take a kind of pride in their ability to push out anyone they don't like. How would you like ME to develop an attitude of pride in taking out people who annoy me? I have a few tools at my disposal that you don't. Would it seem unfair? Would it seem like a relentless bully had suddenly decided to persecute you and drive you from a place where you had found some friends? Yah, it might.

Board moderation is an art, not a science. Every board's moderation must be orchestrated to embrace the culture of the bulk of its participants. That means that the level of moderation varies from group to group. In this particular group, for instance, there is a looser standard towards "trash talking" and joking around because many members seem to enjoy it rather than get angry over it. The tricky thing is to help confine that banter to within the boundaries of those who find it fun without letting it spill over onto those who find it offensive. All of this has to be done with an approach that accomplishes that goal without simply sterilizing board conversation into boredom.

It's tough. I frankly have a difficult time drawing a line between trolling and "passionate interaction" on these boards because of this looser standard. In many cases the tiny squabbles and back and forth posting creates a personal flavor to board cultures that allow people to become real friends rather than merely creating an emotionless exchange of comic information. When small "arguements" erupt and then end with at least a mutual respect for differing opinions (if not agreement), then the boards are actually better for it. When they end in enmity and a willingness for board members to continue the flame-war throughout the boards, then the boards become worse for it and it leads to a downward spiral of petty, juvenile cat-fighting.

A good moderator cannot let that trend continue. In the lightest form, individual fights are shut down. If it becomes an ongoing problem, a moderator is left with a simple choice:

1) Remove those who make it their business to engage in incessant and permanent feuds, or

2) Let the boards devolve into a clique-fest and flame-war hang out

Guess which one will happen here?

Arch.

Pure gold!