• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP Muscian & EC collector Don Lineberger

18 posts in this topic

So sad in a house fire Dec 5 he died from smoke inhalation. I am sure all of you can understand why this really makes me sad.

He was not only a muscian but true blue EC fan with a large collection of EC memorabilia

http://valdostadailytimes.com/local/x622290691/Fire-claims-musician-s-life

I guess they are trying to track down what pieces of original art were destroyed in the fire the original for a Graham Ingels story entitled "Drink to me only with Thine Eyes" from HAUNT OF FEAR #24 was apparently destroyed in the fire..

To anyone who knew him I am so sorry to hear about it..a loss for the entire collecting community ..to lose one of our own..

What a terrible turn of events. Not only has the community lost a well-known EC fan and collector, but Mr. Lineberger's extensive collection of original EC art was also reduced to ashes in the fire. Roger Hill is still compiling a list of what is known to be lost, but here is what has been confirmed so far:

Covers:

Haunt of Fear #19 (two-bladed axeman by Ingels)

Haunt of Fear #25 cover by Ingels

Mad #4 by Harvey Kurtzman

Mad #14 by Harvey Kurtzman

Tales from the Crypt #30 (Prospector being held under water by Jack Davis)

Tales from the Crypt #44 (Gullotine cover by Jack Davis)

Weird Fantasy #20 ("I Rocket" Bradbury cover by Feldstein)

Weird Fantasy #22 (Orlando "The Fossil" cover)

Weird Science #15 (Dinosaur cover by Wood)

Weird Science-Fantasy #24 (Feldstein - planet landscape scene)

Stories:

"Drink to me only with Thine Eyes" - Graham Ingels HOF #24.

EC Fan-Addict Club house ad page by Jack Davis

Obviously the loss of life is the saddest part of this story, but the loss of all that original EC art certainly adds to the tragedy. :(

I think I did read he was in the process of auctioning off via Russ Cochran..but honestly having survived a housefire this yr myself..I feel extra sad for someone who did not survive..I do not know if he had a big family..but from everything I have read he seemed like a nice guy with a big personality and a smile..

those things are more valuable than original art..but the art is a loss too don't get me wrong..

I guess maybe it touched me differently..looking at pictures of his house and seeing similarities..

From the EC Group:

"Lastly, here's my list of original EC art that I gathered over the years from my correspondence with him. Don was without a doubt one of the greatest EC original art collectors ever. I know he's sold quite a bit of art in recent years to help with medical bills, but this is what I have:

-Crime SuspenStories #12 cover art by Craig

-Crypt Of Terror 18 cover art by Craig

-Frontline Combat 8 cover art by Kurtzman

-Frontline Combat 14 cover art by Wood (not sure on this one...I think it showed up in a recent Russ Cochran auction?)

-Haunt of Fear 19 cover art by Ingels

-Haunt of Fear 21 cover art by Ingels

-Haunt of Fear 25 cover art by Ingels

-Haunt of Fear 26 cover art by Ingels

-Haunt of Fear 28 cover art by Ingels

-MAD 8 cover art by Kurtzman

-MAD 14 cover art by Kurtzman

-Panic 3 cover art by Feldstein

-Tales From The Crypt 42 cover art by Davis

-Tales From The Crypt 43 cover art by Davis

-Tales From The Crypt 44 cover art by Davis

-Two Fisted Tales 32 cover art by Wood

-Two Fisted Tales 37 cover art by John Severin

-Vault Of Horror 13 cover art by Craig (second issue)

-Weird Fantasy 18 cover art by Williamson/Feldstein

-Weird Science 15 cover art by Wood

-Weird Science Fantasy 24 cover art by Feldstein

I know he sold most of his MAD covers...he kept #8 because that was his absolute favorite, and he held onto #14 as well. The Weird Fantasy 14 cover by Feldstein was sold earlier this year. I'm pretty sure he parted with the Davis Tales From The Crypt 30 and Ingels Haunt of Fear 19 covers already. I have no record/mention on the Weird Fantasy 20 and 22 covers by Feldstein.

He did have the splash page to "The Exile" from Weird Fantasy #14 by Wood and the complete story to "Chickamauga!" from Frontline Combat #8 by Davis.

He also had various other art including a sizeable collection of original comic strip art that included Peanuts, Caniff Terry and the Pirates/Steve Canyon, Wunder Terry and the Pirates art, Frazetta Johnny Comet art, etc. He also had various EC stories/splashes/interior pages, Warren art (by Craig, John Severin and others), Craig EC oil paintings, various cover art,etc...it literally does go on and on."