• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Gobbledygook #1 and/or #2 Club!
5 5

236 posts in this topic

Still amazing. Prototype of a prototype of another prototype, of the idea that started it all!

What an amazing primordial soup of creativity...Kevin and Peter are my idols.

14113136405_9bc452b943_b.jpg

This is a cool thread. I don't have a gook book, but have info on your sweet prototype. Here is a pic pf the reference photo used to draw the humans. The people in the photo are good family friends of the Laird's.

Pretty cool to have seen 3 different books in my time so far.

I just picked up a PGX Graded Copy of #1 at a hefty price tag. I appreciate your post and am curious to know if PGX is still grading these books. And if so, will investors ever really be able to tell between one of the "authenticated" lots you mention in your post versus the "controversial PGX" lot?

Is the PGX lot controversial because they were not authenticated by Eastman/Laird via letter and just PGX? My thinking is that they one day will all be slabbed so there will be no controversy unless the accompanying verification letter becomes the additional documentation required for verification of these books.

Thanks for the info...

I just picked up a PGX Graded Copy of #1 at a hefty price tag. I appreciate your post and am curious to know if PGX is still grading these books. And if so, will investors ever really be able to tell between one of the "authenticated" lots you mention in your post versus the "controversial PGX" lot?

Is the PGX lot controversial because they were not authenticated by Eastman/Laird via letter and just PGX? My thinking is that they one day will all be slabbed so there will be no controversy unless the accompanying verification letter becomes the additional documentation required for verification of these books.

Thanks for the info...

I just realized that this was pointed at a comment I made a long time ago. The original set that was graded by PGX was controversial for a couple of reasons:

1) The staples on them don't match the other known sets. It looked like someone disassembled a regular set and then stapled them from the front. One theory was that this was the set that was used to make the counterfeit Yellow covered copies.

2) From what I remember (and it's been a few years), faded areas on the front cover didn't match to the other known copies out there. It was never quite clear how PGX knew what an authentic set of Gobbledygooks looked like so it wasn't clear that they could actually differentiate between first generation originals from second generation fakes.

Both of these things made the original PGX set suspect. I'm not sure how many other sets they've verified since then, but I always found it more reliable to show them to Kevin or another person like myself that's seen multiple sets of these books and seen the variations of how they were printed.

On 4/14/2016 at 8:54 PM, Icculus308win said:

Just saw this -

Gobbledygook #1

What does a VF/NM #1 go for(ish) nowadays?

Is it all over the map?

Anyone still watching this thread?  I just picked up a Gook #1 and wanted one of the experts like you to take a look at it.  Any of you going to SDCC in July?

Expaperboy

15 hours ago, Expaperboy said:

Anyone still watching this thread?  I just picked up a Gook #1 and wanted one of the experts like you to take a look at it.  Any of you going to SDCC in July?

Expaperboy

I'll be at SDCC. Bring it by the CGC booth and I'll be happy to take a look.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, comiconxion said:

Don't forget the Gobbledygook masters end today at Heritage.  Going into the final hours of pre-bidding, they're only at $555 and $130 = you can't even buy counterfeits for that!

6 minutes ago, Gump24601 said:

I forsee an off-ebay sale coming forth.