• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard-to-find Trade Paperbacks and Hardcovers

160 posts in this topic

I see a list being made soon great idea guys. I am know very little of the omnibus stuff I only know trades that sell well due to lower print runs.

Over the years that Star Wars Doomworld has great resell value I never have keep that one on ebay more then a week without selling it $40-60 usually.

Demand may have come down for them though because I see 2 in Europe priced very well around $30.

Good stuff. Although it's not a huge dollar book, Joker: The Devil's Advocate is a GN that sells way above retail. It's probably a $10 book that can sell from 40-60. I think I sold my copy for $45. It's the one where the Joker has a hit of acid on his tongue for a cover.

With the thought in mind that trades could become collectible in the future, I always buy first print copies of the first 3 Invincible trades when I see them for cheap. They have a different cover than all later printings and you don't see them all that often (not rare at all though).

This is a perfect example of different stokes for different folks. I've always thought of TPB as reprints so I only buy them when they are cheap or I want a reading copy of something. I don't think of them as collectibles.

The real question is, what will people think of them 20 years from now? If they aren't really being collected and saved in high grades, how many of the lower print ones will survive in HG down the road. Add some demand and BAM! it's the next collecting craze.

+1

It almost has to happen. The way the publishers are going now, there is no way they will be able to keep their whole backlists in print.

Actually, quite the opposite will happen. Many of the books I buy for my job, computer technology related books, are now printed on demand. I can easily see the entire backlist for a publisher moving to a print on demand model. The cost are not as high as you think and are coming down as more and more books are printed this way. It is just a matter of time before this is adopted by the comic publishers and becomes the normal way of printing the non-pamphlet collections.

I honestly do not see the TPBs being highly collectible in the future due to this. Sure, now you have books going out of print, so people are willing to pay more for some of those TPBs, but in the near future, this won't be a problem. Technology is quickly making it cheap and possible for a publisher to keep their whole backlist available via print on demand.

This is a perfect example of different stokes for different folks. I've always thought of TPB as reprints so I only buy them when they are cheap or I want a reading copy of something. I don't think of them as collectibles.

The real question is, what will people think of them 20 years from now? If they aren't really being collected and saved in high grades, how many of the lower print ones will survive in HG down the road. Add some demand and BAM! it's the next collecting craze.

+1

It almost has to happen. The way the publishers are going now, there is no way they will be able to keep their whole backlists in print.

Actually, quite the opposite will happen. Many of the books I buy for my job, computer technology related books, are now printed on demand. I can easily see the entire backlist for a publisher moving to a print on demand model. The cost are not as high as you think and are coming down as more and more books are printed this way. It is just a matter of time before this is adopted by the comic publishers and becomes the normal way of printing the non-pamphlet collections.

I honestly do not see the TPBs being highly collectible in the future due to this. Sure, now you have books going out of print, so people are willing to pay more for some of those TPBs, but in the near future, this won't be a problem. Technology is quickly making it cheap and possible for a publisher to keep their whole backlist available via print on demand.

I know that DoubleJump, they make strategy guides for videogames, tried a print on demand model for a bit and it was ridiculously expensive to buy. Who publishes the books for your work? And what books are printed on demand more and more?

And why would a comic book publisher support printing on demand, when there seems to be a lot of movement to the e-books. I would think that an electronic release would be far less risky and for far less cost.

+1

I know that DoubleJump, they make strategy guides for videogames, tried a print on demand model for a bit and it was ridiculously expensive to buy. Who publishes the books for your work? And what books are printed on demand more and more?

And why would a comic book publisher support printing on demand, when there seems to be a lot of movement to the e-books. I would think that an electronic release would be far less risky and for far less cost.

Some of the O'Reilly books (computer programming type books) I've bought are print on demand.

I'm not suggesting print on demand is the only way a book will be distributed, but instead will complement the pamphlets, e-books, etc. It would be beneficial to any publisher to provide options for how their content will be consumed, simply moving to all electronic or staying with only print is not smart, since people like to read in different ways. I can see a model where the e-book is offered and the customer has the option to buy a printed copy of the e-book. If you are a publisher, and you see people are willing to pay 2-3 times the cost of a TPB that is out of print, why wouldn't you go back to print (how many copies should you print?) or use print on demand to satisfy the demand? The publisher doesn't see any money from the books that are sold after market. Many people are willing to pay more, simply to read the book. (Examples are plentiful in this thread.)

Simply offer a book for print on demand won't cost a publisher a dime until the book is actually ordered.

+1

hm

If it's cost effective, then you will likely be right, assuming Disney/Marvel and TW/DC adopt the model.

+1

So, because Marvel and DC don't produce digests anymore, they are completely worthless? Ha! Try finding some of the Marvel and DC digests for cheap.

Okay, it's like this: As long as there are collectors, there will be people who pay big bucks for out of print trade paperbacks. It's the way of the collector. We want what is rare or tough to find.

And do you really believe that eventually all books will be e-books? Not in our time, it won't happen. When it does, expect the real paper books to go up, up, up in value.

You will never see a major publisher go with print-on-demand because there simply isn't enough money to be made that way. How do you pay your artists and writers? Give them a buck every time one of their books sell? It'll never happen. Print on demand is a great way for an aspiring writer to get something into print or a small, regional publisher to publish a work without huge overhead, but those people are COUNTING on making a mininal profit, if any at all.

Print on demand is a great thing for vanity projects, but not for mass market projects that publishers need to sell millions of copies so they can pay writers, artists, editors, layout and design people, printers, press crews and so on.

The profit from print on demand books is so minimal and its too labor intensive to actually be profitable for a major publishing company.

One of the lowest print runs I've ever known for a hardcover is the Marvel Masterworks Volume 37 X-Men second print, which had a measly 190 copies printed.

I've got one, so that leaves only 189 copies that are available.

I mean, that's less than 200 copies and I know that makes a book rare.

Where did that # come from? I can't believe Marvel would print anything with a run of just 200 copies.

Find a copy and check the back of the cover. It says that's the number printed right on the bottom back cover.

The modern variant editions ALL list the print runs.

It gives the information right at the bottom near the price.

I just recently bought the Warlock Vol. 2 variant edition (Marvel Masterworks Vol. 119) and it says:

"This printing is limited to 1400 copies."

I also have the Captain Marvel variant featuring the Jim Starlin stories and it has a print run of under 2,000, I believe.

All the modern Marvel Masterworks are printed to order and if there was less than 200 copies ordered, then that's all they printed and it says as much on the back covers

Check out the Marvel Premiere Edition variants. Those are limited and many have tiny, tiny print runs. They also tell their print runs on the back cover.

I don't get reprint TPBs going for big bucks no matter how small the print-run except maybe if you're talking some indie and the original material had a 50-150 copy print-run and the tpb is a couple of hundred copies. But for a lot of Marvel stuff this might be the 8th or 9th time some of this stuff has been reprinted.

Particularly when $200 can get you a nice selection of quality, 1st print, vintage material.

Just my 3 cents.

I'm having trouble finding these trade paperbacks and when I do they are usually priced way out of my range:

Lost in Space: Voyage to the Bottom of the Soul

Master of Kung Fu Max

Thanos: Samaritan (heck, all of the Thanos trade paperbacks are tough!)

Thor: Vikings

Wolverine Deadpool Weapon X

Dreadstar Definitive Edition HC

Green Lantern The Power of Ion

The Phantom: The Ghost That Walks

Flash: Crossfire

There are many others that I'll think of, I'm sure, but these are some that I've had a tough time finding.

Anyone else know of any rare trade paperbacks? I'm a trade paperback collector and actively look for some of the rarer TPBs. I'm interested in other trades that people know of that might be rare or hard-to-find.

Master of Kung Fu Max

Thanos: Samaritan

Wolverine: Deadpool Weapon X

Dreadstar Definitive Hardcover (still sealed)

Green Lantern: The Power of Ion

Phantom trades (not sure which one you want)

I'm having trouble finding these trade paperbacks and when I do they are usually priced way out of my range:

Lost in Space: Voyage to the Bottom of the Soul

Master of Kung Fu Max

Thanos: Samaritan (heck, all of the Thanos trade paperbacks are tough!)

Wolverine Deadpool Weapon X

Dreadstar Definitive Edition HC

Green Lantern The Power of Ion

The Phantom: The Ghost That Walks

There are many others that I'll think of, I'm sure, but these are some that I've had a tough time finding.

Anyone else know of any rare trade paperbacks? I'm a trade paperback collector and actively look for some of the rarer TPBs. I'm interested in other trades that people know of that might be rare or hard-to-find.

Master of Kung Fu Max

Thanos: Samaritan

Wolverine: Deadpool Weapon X

Dreadstar Definitive Hardcover (still sealed)

Green Lantern: The Power of Ion

Phantom trades (not sure which one you want)

Wow, thanks for the heads-up. I appreciate it. These prices just go to show that there is a market for these first print trade paperbacks. Collectors want what is tough to get and it causes the prices to go skyhigh (can you believe the prices on some of these like the Weapon X trade?). That's actually a very reasonable price for the Dreadstar HC, which is signed and numbered, and is some of Starlin's best work in a super great package. Thanks!

I don't get reprint TPBs going for big bucks no matter how small the print-run except maybe if you're talking some indie and the original material had a 50-150 copy print-run and the tpb is a couple of hundred copies. But for a lot of Marvel stuff this might be the 8th or 9th time some of this stuff has been reprinted.

Particularly when $200 can get you a nice selection of quality, 1st print, vintage material.

Just my 3 cents.

It's no different me wanting a rare trade paperback than the people who are paying big bucks for the rare third printing of Hulk 377 (I think there's a thread somewhere on one of the boards about that one). I can buy those Hulk 377 first and second prints all day long, but try to find a third printing and you might look for a long time before one even comes up for sale. Which makes me want one even more -- and more willing to pay a high price to own one.

Some of these third and fourth and fifth printings of comics and trade paperbacks go down into the hundreds on the print runs and that makes them rare and valuable to collectors of that comic or character. If I want to own every single Wolverine appearance, then I have to have the fourth printing of the Old Man Logan saga and those can be tough to find and expensive.

I would have to believe there are probably very few of the Killing Joke 14th printing out there on the market in comparison to the second or third printing. Has anyone ever seen a 14th printing? I know there are copies out there because someone had to buy them. I know The Killing Joke went up to a 14th printing and those would have to be rare as hens teeth, too, simply because the market would dwindle for these with each printing and DC eventually started printing the hardcover versions and now are printing new versions of the smaller, comic-sized graphic novel.

How about a Watchmen 14th printing or higher? Anyone seen one? How rare would that be, especially since DC then started putting Watchmen back into print in hardcover and the Absolute edition and the international version and ...

The Marvel Masterworks variants are printed to order and that makes those later printings super rare and very valuable to people like me, who want to own those tough-to-find tomes.

Just my 3 cents.

I also don't think that the independent stuff that has print runs of 50-150 copies and then only a couple hundred of the TPBs is usually anything that good that people will want to pay big bucks for. Usually, a comic that is rare and is a good, solid story, will cause people to want to buy it and the rarity will make the sales on the TPBs go way higher.

I don't think a limited quantity makes up for a lack of quality and if an independent sells only 50-150 copies and then only about 200 of the TPB, it must not have been very good.

But, that could turn around if the artist or writer ever becomes hot and those comics and TPBs are sought after by collectors who love that artist or writer.

I think quality is the key. Those Marvel Masterworks are reprinting stuff like the Byrne X-Men run and those are some of the best X-Men stories ever written. Plus, there is a waiting audience for the next reprint of whatever X-stuff Marvel can churn out.

I have a friend who is a hardcore X-Men collector and he has to have EVERY single printing of every comic and trade paperback that has an X-Man in it. And he will pay big bucks for stuff that I would give away.

Just my 3 cents.

I also don't think that the independent stuff that has print runs of 50-150 copies and then only a couple hundred of the TPBs is usually anything that good that people will want to pay big bucks for. Usually, a comic that is rare and is a good, solid story, will cause people to want to buy it and the rarity will make the sales on the TPBs go way higher.

I don't think a limited quantity makes up for a lack of quality and if an independent sells only 50-150 copies and then only about 200 of the TPB, it must not have been very good.

But, that could turn around if the artist or writer ever becomes hot and those comics and TPBs are sought after by collectors who love that artist or writer.

I think quality is the key. Those Marvel Masterworks are reprinting stuff like the Byrne X-Men run and those are some of the best X-Men stories ever written. Plus, there is a waiting audience for the next reprint of whatever X-stuff Marvel can churn out.

I have a friend who is a hardcore X-Men collector and he has to have EVERY single printing of every comic and trade paperback that has an X-Man in it. And he will pay big bucks for stuff that I would give away.

i was discussing a hypothetical situation more than anything else. i don't know if any such indie TPB exists, though in the "hard to find" threads there were some miniscule print run indies that did turn into things people were interested in. i don't assume that if someonthing is small batch that it sux, just that the creator hasn't figured out a way to distribute/promote.

as for rarety, yeah, sure, if there is a need to track things down in someone's mind i suppose these present challenges. the third print of 377 is more like a "WTF, I didn't even know that existed" than a TPB which was more like "I didn't care one iota about it before, but holy cow, they didn't print many, did they??"

Just my 3 cents.

i was discussing a hypothetical situation more than anything else. i don't know if any such indie TPB exists, though in the "hard to find" threads there were some miniscule print run indies that did turn into things people were interested in. i don't assume that if someonthing is small batch that it sux, just that the creator hasn't figured out a way to distribute/promote.

as for rarety, yeah, sure, if there is a need to track things down in someone's mind i suppose these present challenges. the third print of 377 is more like a "WTF, I didn't even know that existed" than a TPB which was more like "I didn't care one iota about it before, but holy cow, they didn't print many, did they??"

There are bunches of TPBs that are really rare.

The Truth: Red, White and Black is one that is super rare. It's not a very popular, so it doesn't go for a whole lot when it comes up for sale.

The Master of Kung Fu trade paperback is THE ONLY MOKF TPB ever published and it is super rare (copies hardly every come up for sale on eBay). But, I don't think people know exactly how rare these are. Both of these are rarer than the Miracleman trade paperbacks that are worth so much.

Trade paperback collecting is still in its infancy. Years from now, people are going to be paying even more for some of these rare TPBs and hardcovers than they are now. That's why I try to snatch them up when I find them cheap (I think I've got about 4,500 TPBs and hardcovers).

Back when I was on comic book companies' comp lists, I got trade paperbacks by the boxes and sold and traded a lot of those off ... gosh I wish I had all those back ...

Just my 3 cents.

The Truth: Red, White and Black is one that is super rare. It's not a very popular, so it doesn't go for a whole lot when it comes up for sale.

The Master of Kung Fu trade paperback is THE ONLY MOKF TPB ever published and it is super rare (copies hardly every come up for sale on eBay). But, I don't think people know exactly how rare these are. Both of these are rarer than the Miracleman trade paperbacks that are worth so much.

Trade paperback collecting is still in its infancy. Years from now, people are going to be paying even more for some of these rare TPBs and hardcovers than they are now. That's why I try to snatch them up when I find them cheap (I think I've got about 4,500 TPBs and hardcovers).

Back when I was on comic book companies' comp lists, I got trade paperbacks by the boxes and sold and traded a lot of those off ... gosh I wish I had all those back ...

Truth: Red, White and Black HC

Just my 3 cents.

Truth: Red, White and Black HC

That's the current version. The trade paperback was published several years ago and had a very tiny print run. The hardcover was issued earlier this year and had a much higher (but still small) print run. It's a heck of a lot easier to find and cheaper to buy than the trade. I do believe Kyle Baker either told me or posted it somewhere that the trade paperback is so rare Marvel didn't even send him a copy.