• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard-to-find Trade Paperbacks and Hardcovers

160 posts in this topic

I wouldn't get too excited about the trades of those Marvel Masterworks. These books are already available in hardcover and in other forms of paperback. I think Marvel is limited their variant print run only because they know there won't be as big of a market for them with so many copies in one form of another of these stories.

I didn't think those would be something collectible either until I was talking to an X-Men collector who told me himself that it was very expensive to collect the second printings because there were so few printed. He collects nearly every printing and he says that when the print runs fall so low, the back-issue market jacks the price up high and I started watching the second-print Masterworks HCs that are so highly-priced. I paid $81 for an Uncanny X-Men Vol. 3 variant HC second print that has a print run of 400 copies. I think the low-print softcover variants will be highly-sought-after by Marvel collectors, too. We collectors like to have comics that are rare, because it's the nature of the beast.

Am I crazy? I could have sworn that somewhere in my extensive trade paperback collection I have a Ruse Vol. 3: Criminal Intent, but I can't find it (I've got, like, 25 more boxes to search through). I've got Vols 1-2, but cannot find Vol. 3. Wikipedia says it was never published, but I am almost positive that I have it here somewhere ... can anyone help me with this rare TPB?

I wouldn't get too excited about the trades of those Marvel Masterworks. These books are already available in hardcover and in other forms of paperback. I think Marvel is limited their variant print run only because they know there won't be as big of a market for them with so many copies in one form of another of these stories.

I didn't think those would be something collectible either until I was talking to an X-Men collector who told me himself that it was very expensive to collect the second printings because there were so few printed. He collects nearly every printing and he says that when the print runs fall so low, the back-issue market jacks the price up high and I started watching the second-print Masterworks HCs that are so highly-priced. I paid $81 for an Uncanny X-Men Vol. 3 variant HC second print that has a print run of 400 copies. I think the low-print softcover variants will be highly-sought-after by Marvel collectors, too. We collectors like to have comics that are rare, because it's the nature of the beast.

As a book collector, this makes no sense to me. These are reprints of reprints of reprints. I suppose the fact that a limited release helps inflate the demand, but still. Comic fans don't make sense to me sometimes.

As a book collector, this makes no sense to me. These are reprints of reprints of reprints. I suppose the fact that a limited release helps inflate the demand, but still. Comic fans don't make sense to me sometimes.

Sometimes all it takes is a limited print run to start the frenzy amongst the completists. (shrug)

Sometimes all it takes is a limited print run to start the frenzy amongst the completists. (shrug)

And I can appreciate a low print run and those who like to have everything, but this is the same mentality that makes a second or third print of a book or issue more valuable than the original first print. And that's plain silly.

Keep your eyes on Abe Books - things always pop up there. I found (for example) a first printing of the 1977 Bill James Baseball Abstract, which had a print run of 75 out of James' basement.

Super rare! I know Theo Epstein the gm of the Redsox is always talking about how it is one of his most prized possessions. (thumbs u

That's what I said 143 posts ago. This is like the 20th reprinting of some of these marvel issues.

I guess if they added something snazzy to them it might make me feel differently, but I don't see them commissioning any new art or whatever for a 700 copy publication. With that said, some editions of books do go for a hefty premium, even if one might consider them like the 12th or whatever printing. I know I sold some leather bound versions of Agatha Christie or something like that, which were put out in the 80's or something, so clearly wayyyyyyy later printings, and I got like $75-$100 a pop for them. I doubt that's what they retailed for, but for collectors who were into these things, the fact that these were probably more limited than the original first prints, etc. there was a lot of interest in them.

I just got a package of sale books from Mile High which included a Marvel Masterworks Avengers Vol 1 and the dust jacket says it's limited to 380 copies. Must be one of the lower print runs (if you ignore all the other printings over the years) - just thought I'd throw the info out there since people were talking about it. The isbn # is 0785113118 (amazon doesn't have a page for it) and the cover price is 54.99. Mile High calls it "New Edition" "6th Deluxe" "2002" for the record. In typical Mile High style they have the same book "on sale" now for $75, but of course I bought it from them last week as part of their $10 HC overstock sale, which to me indicates they probably have all 380 copies in their warehouse.

I just got a package of sale books from Mile High which included a Marvel Masterworks Avengers Vol 1 and the dust jacket says it's limited to 380 copies. Must be one of the lower print runs (if you ignore all the other printings over the years) - just thought I'd throw the info out there since people were talking about it. The isbn # is 0785113118 (amazon doesn't have a page for it) and the cover price is 54.99. Mile High calls it "New Edition" "6th Deluxe" "2002" for the record. In typical Mile High style they have the same book "on sale" now for $75, but of course I bought it from them last week as part of their $10 HC overstock sale, which to me indicates they probably have all 380 copies in their warehouse.

"New Edition" just means that it's not part of the original Masterworks program. I can't remember the dates off the top of my head, but Marvel did these Masterworks for awhile, stopped, and then started over.

If you check out your copy of the book, I bet it's a 6th printing, thus the "6th Deluxe" (with the deluxe probably indicating that it's the variant).

"New Edition" just means that it's not part of the original Masterworks program. I can't remember the dates off the top of my head, but Marvel did these Masterworks for awhile, stopped, and then started over.

If you check out your copy of the book, I bet it's a 6th printing, thus the "6th Deluxe" (with the deluxe probably indicating that it's the variant).

Roughly, I think the original 27 Masterworks went from about '89 to '93. The subsequent few were released in the late 90's, then the program was fully revived around 2004.

And I can appreciate a low print run and those who like to have everything, but this is the same mentality that makes a second or third print of a book or issue more valuable than the original first print. And that's plain silly.

I tend to agree. At one time, subsuquent printings were trash, now some are seeking them out because the 4th print may have had 1/10th the print run that the 1st print had. Makes zero sense to me, especially when it's the exact same book. I can understand when they do a different cover, but when it's the same book? :screwy:

I know the fifth printing of the Killing Joke is more sought after then the first print is for some reason.

:o

"I have every printing of Killing Joke but the fifth. God, I wish I had a fifth. Then my life would be complete." :pullhair:

I know the fifth printing of the Killing Joke is more sought after then the first print is for some reason.

:o

"I have every printing of Killing Joke but the fifth. God, I wish I had a fifth. Then my life would be complete." :pullhair:

"That long box over there is my complete Killing Joke collection, one of each."

:insane:

Have been searching almost every comic book site that I can think of in an attempt to get any info on this SC:

sssc1997.jpg

Would this book be considered HTF?

Pretty sure I had one of those and sold it on ebay 4 or 5 years ago. I recall it did better than I thought, but I don't recall how much.

I didn't see anyone mentioning " X Men Fatal Attractions"....My son wanted a copy for Christmas a couple of years back and when I started looking around, I couldn't believe what they were selling for !

You can find a copy here and there, but it's usually over $ 50.00

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Fatal-Attractions-Fabian-Nicieza/dp/0785100652/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295943338&sr=8-1