• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Writing/Stamp on cover

10 posts in this topic

]First, let me make it clear that I am not referring to signatures of writers/illustrators.

I hate getting a VF+ comic, only to find an owner signature on the front cover.

I know that some people find these owner signatures and/or price stamps to be of historical value etc...I do not. If I ruled the world, any comic with writing on it would only ever be a F.

Does an owner signature/price stamp bother you guys as much as it does me, or am I just nuts?

Anyone know the CGC stand on this?

Do you write on/initial your books now?

I find inscriptions of providence pretty cool, regardless of where they come from.

It means that the book at some point in time was important enough to someone that they needed to personalize it. It's a snapshot in time. Pretty cool in my books.

This is one of those areas, where everyone is right!

I don't mind date stamps. For writing, it depends. A neat date or distributor code is great. Even the original owner's name is fine, esp. if it's Larson. But large grease pencil marks or a kid practicing a signature 30 times are not to my liking - though I do have a few of those books.

There are plenty of collectors that don't like date stamps or writing.

Date stamps and grease pencils, I'm ok with. Store stamps are ok if they are small and neatly placed. I don't like owner sigs at all even if they are inside the book.

I'm working through grading my ASMs right now and I'm noting books that I want to replace / upgrade. This includes all with rusted staples, detached pages AND owner sigs and scribbles.

I don't like anything that distracts from the cover. However, I like date stamps if they're neat, but I dislike grease pencil. Unfortunately, a lot of my Archie Digest collection has large grease pencil prices on the covers because of the store I bought a lot of them at, Luckily, grade doesn't matter to me on those.

Owner's names are cool if they're light and in pencil. Pen just ticks me off, especially on older books.

Hate to say this but I love Date stamps and grease pencil dates on my older books

I'm with 8mile, i think they are kind of cool (thumbs u

I too like date writing/stamps quite a bit. Grease pecncil has a real GA feel to me. But for some reason I dislike the store stamps received after the book was resold or traded to a bookstore or similar.

I find inscriptions of providence pretty cool, regardless of where they come from.

It means that the book at some point in time was important enough to someone that they needed to personalize it. It's a snapshot in time. Pretty cool in my books.

A modest book but with a history.

JIM116FMay65.jpg

WinnipegCOAJIM116.jpg