• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935 Sunday pages

7 posts in this topic

I was digging through some of my files, and found a stack of complete 8 page Sunday sections from 1935. They are mostly from The Sunday Oregonian newspaper, as well as The San Francisco Examiner. They have Raymond Flash Gordon, Foster Tarzan, McManis Bringing Up Father, etc. I have about 15 of these complete sections, and the conditions range from fair to pretty nice. Does anyone know if these have any value besides the novelty factor?

Feel free to PM if you prefer.

Scott Williams

Scott.. I have one of the larger archives of this material from 1907-1975

I could fill a small room floor to ceiling with it

I love this stuff

sadly, comic strips are mostly forgotten by today's collectors, They ain't interested!

when they sell on ebay, the general price is $5-15 (for pre-1940 material. It goes down pretty fast). Surprisingly, they sell better in groups than in singles. Myself, I usually only bid on group packages as it's: A) too much work to bid on single sections and B) postage kills it (and yes, I do still buy because my archive is not complete pre-1940 in some areas and particularly pre-1930 I only have maybe 1/3-1/2 of the sections as a run). I also prefer complete sections for archival purposes as opposed to single pages

obviously people still collect Flash Gordon, but even Bringing Up Father has few fans today.. I have some dupes and I like to leave them out at home so people can read them (albeit carefully)

I was digging through some of my files, and found a stack of complete 8 page Sunday sections from 1935. They are mostly from The Sunday Oregonian newspaper, as well as The San Francisco Examiner. They have Raymond Flash Gordon, Foster Tarzan, McManis Bringing Up Father, etc. I have about 15 of these complete sections, and the conditions range from fair to pretty nice. Does anyone know if these have any value besides the novelty factor?

Scott Williams

They have aesthetic value - and that's what counts.

Scott Williams

They have aesthetic value - and that's what counts.

No question about that Terry! The Raymond Flash strips in particular are huge and vibrant! What lush brushwork! Even the colors are rich.

I'm moving my studio stuff from what was Wildstorm into my home office and I'm desperately trying to make space, so I'm struggling with what to keep and what goes. Sucks, but it has to be done, which is why I asked about these strips in the first place.

Scott Williams

Scott.. if there are any sections to have, those from 1935 are some of the best.. The Flash Gordon strips of exactly that period when Raymond is using the dry brush is one of his peaks. They're great reference for artists of course to see how HE "did it" and it's fantastic representation of the type of illustration that was going on in popular culture with the art deco and modernist movements which Raymond certainly imbedded into his work.

I have the complete Flash pages in a single stack through about 1945. Now I want to go back and read them all again - which is the fun thing about comic strips. You sit on the couch and put the pile on the coffee table and just read them through and it is for the coffee table.. They're too big to read easily on the desk and see them visually the same as when you can tower over them. great stuff