• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Very Bad News, ComicDonna (Mike) just lost his house in a Fire

382 posts in this topic

I just spoke to Mike.

He seems in good spirits considering the circumstances. It's been a whirlwind the last few days, and they have a lot of work ahead of them.

He's at a decent hotel and it's one of those extended stay suites so they have a little kitchen area, etc. The insurance company is looking for a rental home in their school district as a next step.

Happily, Mike was able to rescue 2 boxes of his CGC Actions including the spread from Action #1. He also was able to get out a few slabbed coins. Raw books, coins and all his other Superman memorabilia were lost.

He appreciates the outpouring and generosity and is looking forward to connecting online in the next day or so.

Happily, Mike was able to rescue 2 boxes of his CGC Actions including the spread from Action #1. He also was able to get out a few slabbed coins. Raw books, coins and all his other Superman memorabilia were lost.

Wow, that's amazing, Steve. :applause:

While small in the grand scheme of things, we put a tremendous amount of emotional energy into our collections, and they do mean a lot to us. Wonderful to know he'll have at least a part of his collection to still enjoy (or to piece off if need be), while they retool and rebuild.

Hope no one minds a bit of humor in light of this situation, but I'm wondering what the expression on Donnas face was when Mike runs back into their burning house to get some valuables........ and comes out with comics lol

Hope is the thing with feathers

That perches in the soul,

And sings the tune without the words,

And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;

And sore must be the storm

That could abash the little bird

That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,

And on the strangest sea;

Yet, never, in extremity,

It asked a crumb of me.

- Emily Dickinson

Humor's a tough sell when something like this happens, but it was a good try. :kidaround:

I'm sure she was happy just to see him come out of the house. :gossip:

Big kudos to Sharon for taking on another huge effort to help a boardie in need.

:foryou:

Hope no one minds a bit of humor in light of this situation, but I'm wondering what the expression on Donnas face was when Mike runs back into their burning house to get some valuables........ and comes out with comics lol

I did ask her if she tried to kill him after...she said no,she just figured she loved him, but she was not going in after him and sent the sheriff instead.

Donna is a remarkable woman.

I'm sure Mike will appreciate the humor. :grin:

He told me he made two trips back into the house to grab what he could. He tried to make a third but only went as far as the front porch before he decided it was too risky at that point.

I'm sure Mike will appreciate the humor. :grin:

He told me he made two trips back into the house to grab what he could. He tried to make a third but only went as far as the front porch before he decided it was too risky at that point.

It's every collector's nightmare, but thank god he had the sense not to make that third trip.

I am very saddened by such a horrible tragedy. After a couple of years of lurking, and after reading through the outpouring of emotion for Mike and his family from the members here, he sounds like a truly wonderful person.

My best wishes, thoughts, and prayers go out to you, Mike.

I already thought about this same scenario myself. After grabbing the car keys and making sure that my wife and the 2 dogs were safe, I'd probably run back into the house and start funneling slab boxes out the front window (assuming I was able to get to them). Of course the Spidey slabs would go out first..... :D

What awful news and especially this time of year. I wasn't going in

the Holiday raffle and think it's a great idea to change it to part of

the fundraiser for Mike and his family.

Sending funds this Friday (payday) directly to Mike and might have some

scratch for a few bids here and there when the auctions start.

That's good news Mike saved some of his sweet Action Comics!! (thumbs u

What an awesome community and you guys are the greatest. :acclaim:

I posted this in another thread! but I'm posting it here as well.

If you cannot include shipping, please let me know.

Thank you all.

Auctionlogo.jpg

Unfortunately, one of our dear friends had a terrible fire yesterday and the family, (Mike, his wife and teenage daughter) lost everything. Thankfully they escaped without injury, but all that was left of their house, belongings, business documents, was ashes.

The community has gotten together and we will be holding a series of auctions in the VCC, starting Wednesday (Dec 29th ) and ending Saturday January 1st and Sunday January 2nd.

Auctions will start at 8pm EST and run until about 11 pm each night.

If you wish to donate any items to the auctions, kindly PM me with a description and pictures by

tomorrow. Sorry for the short notice, the idea is to help the family quickly.

I need a picture and a description. To keep things simple I would like to start all items at $5.00

I also have Mike's Paypal address, so if you wish to make a cash donation, just PM me and I'll glady give you the address.

If you want an idea of what happened, this is what was left

Comicdonna-house.jpg

This was very sad news. I just met Mike at the CBCA NYCC dinner.

Was glad to hear everyone made it out ok.

Definitely count on me to donate to a fundraiser auction.

While insurance takes care of some or most of it, some

cash can always come in handy.