• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 2010 Nik Memorial Grading Contest *Round 6*

327 posts in this topic

Age is not supposed to be a factor when grading :makepoint:

Funny thing is that as I age, I grade differently.

You learn to appreciate, uh, different qualities in books than you used to.

Yeah, that's it.

Overstreet Standards for Fine/Very Fine

include-

minor creases allowed

slight staple tears

minor foxing

cream/tan pages

Description-An above average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A comic in this grade appears to have been read a few times and handled with care.

Thank you for posting that. I guess the issue I have is that the comic in question does not have "outstanding eye appeal." It also does not appear to have been "handled with care"

No it doesn't. It looks like it's been stored on my computer chair for three years. And if it's been read a 'few times', it was by a gorilla.

One thing I'll say about CGC grading is that 'eye appeal' doesn't seem to matter. If a book meets their technical standards for a grade, it gets the grade regardless of how well or badly it presents.

In my humble opinion eye appeal is a key factor in grading, especially with the +/- grades. I think CGC just dropped the ball on this one. It is also hard to imagine it would look that much better in hand.

All of my 7.0, 6.5, and 5.5 books are in better condition than the Tomahawk.

Either that or scans really amplify defects ;)

Uh, that's not possible.

:whistle:

Uh, yes it is.

Uh, I was being sarcastic. :baiting:

In the first two rounds I was debating that these books must look better in hand than they do in the scans to get the grades that they were getting and F_T disagreed with me. Almost vehemently, might I add.

The disparity between how the books look in hand and in a scan is the only explanation based on the grades we've been seeing. Either that or Mark Haspel has developed temporary cataracts.

This was vehement? :eyeroll:

The colour-breaking spine tick at the bottom should keep that book from being a NM, let alone a NM+. Period.

I think that we've really learned from this game that it's tough to grade a book from a scan compared to when in hand. Some scanners will amplify defects, other defects will look trivial in a scan but might look worse in hand.

That's all this game really is...guess the grade based on the scan. Not the actual grade of the book.

(thumbs u

So that colour-breaking spine stress isn't actually there? (shrug)

That's why I used the word "almost". Maybe consistantly would have been a better word.

hm

This was vehement? :eyeroll:

The colour-breaking spine tick at the bottom should keep that book from being a NM, let alone a NM+. Period.

I think that we've really learned from this game that it's tough to grade a book from a scan compared to when in hand. Some scanners will amplify defects, other defects will look trivial in a scan but might look worse in hand.

That's all this game really is...guess the grade based on the scan. Not the actual grade of the book.

(thumbs u

So that colour-breaking spine stress isn't actually there? (shrug)

A scanner can hide defects.

My point was...it can't create defects like this.

Make it look worse? Maybe.

Make it look better? Maybe.

Make it up? No.

Ditto. 7.0 all day long. That scanner is really doing a number on me.

But only on Round 4, right? :/