• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Page Quality on CGC Books

288 posts in this topic

Hi folks. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I just wanted to see what people thought about the importance of page quality when it comes to buying/collecting/selling CGC graded comics. Do you have any standards by which you follow? Thanks for your thoughts.

I believe page quality is a better reflection of preservation than the grade.

I put a lot of value into the page quality. As a Rule of Thumb, White pages usually go for a 10% or more premium, while CR/OW go for a discount.

You are correct that it has been debated. It is a matter of personal preference but

for me, I want WHITE pages.

I put a lot of value into the page quality. As a Rule of Thumb, White pages usually go for a 10% or more premium, while CR/OW go for a discount.

You are correct that it has been debated. It is a matter of personal preference but

+1 (thumbs u

For me, i definitely WANT white pages.

ow/w is usually acceptable as long as i'm getting a discount.

ow, i'll buy only if it is a pretty major book AND i'm getting a discount.

c/ow, i usually avoid unless i'm getting a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE discount or it's a book that is impossible to find with better PQ.

Lower than c/ow? NOT INTERESTED!

meh

You are aware that these three designations change on any given day upon resub, yes?

And what is the discount you expect? A percentage below GPA? (shrug)

Page quality is as mercurial as the weather. CGC's designation is of little significance in the WHITE to CREAM to OFF-WHITE range.

My point entirely.

I can understand people aiming to get PQ in the White range, or wanting to avoid Tan pages, etc.

However, to be prepared to pay premiums, or ask for discounts, or avoid books entirely, based on something that is in complete flux... (shrug)

For me, I avoid anything worse than CR/OW. I've submitted books that looked to have the same page quality and have received grades ranging from white to CR/OW. It's hard to see the difference. But light tanning isn't appealing to me so I avoid it. I recently got a grade on my TOS 52 with LT/OW pages. It is being replaced soon with a better copy. Call me crazy...

I understand paying a premium for white pages on a comic but getting huge discounts below GPA on CR/OW comics? I don't think that is happening often for wanted comics.

If its a hard to find or rare book or even very expensive then i dont care the page quality. If i want the book bad enough ill go as far as slightly brittle, but on everything else OW -W is cool with me

meh

You are aware that these three designations change on any given day upon resub, yes?

And what is the discount you expect? A percentage below GPA? (shrug)

You could make the same argument with grades but I'm sure you don't pay 9.0 price for a 8.5.

I'm not going to pay top GPA for ow pages and I highly doubt that you are either. White pages, I'll consider it. A 9.6 white is going to go for significantly more than a 9.6 ow in anyones book. I ain't exactly breaking new ground paying less as the PQ declines (thumbs u

If you tell me you are buying SA/BA Marvels in c/ow and paying anywhere near GPA, please PM me cus I have few cows I would love to unload!

Btw, I'll be very interested to see the before and after pics of these wildly fluctuating PQ's on resubs. Obviously it happens just like grades can but I think your oversimplifying it bigtime.

Page quality is as mercurial as the weather. CGC's designation is of little significance in the WHITE to CREAM to OFF-WHITE range.

My point entirely.

I can understand people aiming to get PQ in the White range, or wanting to avoid Tan pages, etc.

However, to be prepared to pay premiums, or ask for discounts, or avoid books entirely, based on something that is in complete flux... (shrug)

+1

Latest batch to return from Sarasota had a resubmission of a recently slabbed 9.2 ow/w that I thought looked sharper. Came back a 9.4 c/ow.

Obviously it happens just like grades but your acting like it's meaningless. Are you telling me you will pay the same price for a 9.6ow as a 9.6w?

I guess I'm crazy cus I definitely won't. Say a fairly common SA books 12 month average is $250, I won't pay that for a ow, I expect to pay less or won't get it. If it's white, I'll pay it.

I see cows regularly go for well below GPA, even major keys.

On certain books I'm wanting, White pages is a must! (thumbs u

I have 2 resubs on their way to CGC right now, one a ow/w and one white. We'll see what they come back.

By definition, a resub is hoping for a differed result but to imply that PQ is completely arbitrary, is a little much.

Your white pages now were off-white to white pages yesterday and could very well be cream to off-white pages tomorrow.

By definition, a resub is hoping for a differed result but to imply that PQ is completely arbitrary, is a little much.

I think capricious is an apt description.