• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Bronze Age Pedigree's
3 3

272 posts in this topic

Couldn't resist them!

Those were some NICE books!

If i didnt already have to sell the wife, kids and a few vital organs to make it thru the HA and Clink auctions this month i would definitely have tried to grab a few.

32 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Subby49cgc.thumb.jpg.13c7eb5ee29dec53cfc49b438f3b47eb.jpg

Honestly, I just don't get it. A comic is either a 9.8 or not, who cares where it's been for the last 40 years? Unless it's been in my possession.

Edited by Spawnfreak

39 minutes ago, Spawnfreak said:

Honestly, I just don't get it. A comic is either a 9.8 or not, who cares where it's been for the last 40 years? Unless it's been in my possession.

Not everybody seeks out pedigree comics, I get it.  But to my way of thinking and collecting, there are lots of high grade Bronze Age copies of most issues.  But only 1 came from the Don Rosa, or Twin Cities, or Rocky Mountain, or Winnipeg collection.  That alone makes it stand out from the crowd.  Even better, one can own dozens or even hundreds of books that all came from the same original collection.  And for me, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Additionally, for Golden and Silver Age collectors, when the numbers of high grade copies are low and certain pedigrees feature exceptionally well preserved paper and inks, a pedigree book often has superior eye appeal to a comparably graded copy without provenance.

When I was actively buying high grade books for over two decades, I loved collecting comics from pedigree collections as well as ones from known collections of exceptional books that weren't officially recognized as pedigrees by CGC or the hobby at large.

And I agree with you that comics I bought off the rack and owned for 40+ years always had more personal significance than those bought on the secondhand market.  Like these two: :wink:

Hulk180.jpg.43d4444568316299d76f18b166068c7b.jpg  Hulk181front.thumb.jpg.64de74a950b60453556e353ab5a5fa75.jpg

Edited by namisgr