• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
1 1

964 posts in this topic

Not sure if this one was posted before as i have not gone through all the pages yet, but I loved this Toy as a kid, mainly because of the technology. Flat square pieces of plastic that will change into dinosaurs/creatures and then back into squares again when using the machine.

strange-change-machine.jpg

Here is what the squares look like before and after:

strangeaaa7.JPG

As promised, my recent purchase:

G1 Fortress Maximus

IMG_2107_zpsecf57718.jpg

Close-up of Gasket/Grommet:

IMG_2108_zps5fdd0e41.jpg

Head-Master Spike:

IMG_2109_zps4654f7cd.jpg

Tech Spec (damn, it's huge. And 16 points! WTF?)

IMG_2111_zpsf5eda018.jpg

Double the flavor, double the fun.

IMG_2112_zps15d261b7.jpg

The negative? It's not complete. Missing the two small guns and Instruction booklet.

Pat

A couple of my favorites.

Only the copies issued prior to September, 1987 looked like this. After that date there are several other iterations, increasingly more common as time went on. These first versions are almost never found sealed with only a couple sealed examples of either turning up so far, and certainly not in grade. To top it off they are both the best known copies and and in gorgeous condition. Despite being released in the NYC area as early as holiday 85, the NES wasn't released until holiday 86 and in fact, holiday 87 was really the first big sales push for the NES, so copies produced before that 87 holiday period, to have survived unopened.. is quite rare indeed. Both of these came from the collection of man who had passed away in 2012 but had, back in the day, bought all his titles at the day of release... without playing a single one. Quite unusual as most sealed games are store inventory that went unsold and therefore typically most sealed copies are the latest released prints/iterations/whatever you want to call them, because that's what the stores were stuck with when they went bust. This is the rare collection of sold inventory that was just... kept sealed by a collector/gamer from the day of release and was therefore full of first prints. A friend and I collectively acquired the collection at some risk for about 60K but it "panned out" very well in the end and thankfully made that price look cheap.

castle.JPG

gngob.jpg

Most likely pre-ordering this in the next day or two...

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=TAK11727&mode=retail

Masterpiece Transformers are like crack for adult collectors. I do not buy Transformers like if you were to go to Toys R Us... however these things are pretty complex and articulated larger figures made for adults. I have a few of them and usually have one on my desk at home. Right now everything is packed up though. For those that are interested I have an Optimus Prime, Hot Rod, Grimlock, Red Alert, Prowl and the Binaltech Skids.

I look forward to Wheeljack though as I had him when I was younger.

TAK11727.jpg

Post pics. I don't have any, but they look pretty sweet.

Pat

I don't have any pics and they are currently packed away. I have a lot of stuff and almost all of it divided between the bank, storage and relatives homes. One day I may be able to actually enjoy my collections.

Prowl - compared to his G1 counterpart and some others...

27391740d1379672749-mp-17-prowl-mp-18-bluestreak-mp-19-smokescreen-bul45b9cmaabp-h_1379760299.jpg

400px-Masterpiece-MP14Alert.jpg

grimlock-25.jpg

mprodimus_comparison_rodimusprime.jpg

Friggin' awesome. Love that Prowl.

Now I'm going to be buying those!!! DOH

Pat

The mold used for Red Alert is one of the best I have ever seen. Although it is a complex transformatio, it creates a clean robot body that looks like the cartoon versions. I am thinking of picking up a Sideswipe before they are all gone even though I never owned one as a kid because I like that mold so much.

They have not created any other dinobots, however there is a third party company that is coming up with their own version that is currently under production supposedly. That would be a sort of "what if" Takara/Hasbro actually made the rest of the Dinobots in Masterpiece format. The problem is that they would wind up costing three times as much as these for each of them.