Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
5 5

963 posts in this topic

49,484 posts
21 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

My God...the hours I wasted playing this game when I was 9-10 years old. Such a simple toy but it was perfect. 

The one with the rings-one day a friend got them all!!!  He kept it like that for months.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49,484 posts
7 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Never had it but boy did I want it....The Green Haro!

Haro.jpg.f0080267203a0399703c387f5a2176e1.jpg

Some lucky kids had this baby:

ad-1969-Iverson-comic.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,878 posts
Posted (edited)

my cousins also had this cool toy ,... it seems that there was a line attached to the controls,,, when it was my turn to fly it i unfortunately crashed/smashed it into the driveway

and wrecked it :sorry:  but my cousins and Aunt and Uncle were not mad

Image result for red baron gas powered toy Image result for red baron gas powered toy

Edited by 1950's war comics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,144 posts
10 hours ago, lordisam said:

GI Joe Hydrofoil.jpg

GI Joe KIller Whale.jpg

GI Joe Water Moccasin.jpg

GI Joe HISS, Stinger.jpg

GI Joe VAMP.jpg

GI Joe Rattler.jpg

GI Joe X-30.jpg

GI Joe Tomahawk2.jpg

Love it! I think the Whale/Hovercraft is going to be my focus at the Joe show this summer. Last year I got my Terrordrome and a bunch of other stuff, but a complete Whale with unbroken vanes is the target going forward. It was my absolute favorite Joe vehicle as a kid. I took it out in the pool almost every day. What a great toy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
95 posts
35 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Love it! I think the Whale/Hovercraft is going to be my focus at the Joe show this summer. Last year I got my Terrordrome and a bunch of other stuff, but a complete Whale with unbroken vanes is the target going forward. It was my absolute favorite Joe vehicle as a kid. I took it out in the pool almost every day. What a great toy.

The Whale was my favorite too!  Don't have a Terrordrome or the FLAGG.  (YET!!)

While my WHALE is missing some stickers, and I had to jerry rig some the back propeller and vanes to stay in place.  I had to eBay missing pieces.  I could have just bought a new one, but I loved the project of repairing and restoring my old childhood whale.  See if you can spot differences with the before/after.  (The "before" also had the front ramp completely detached, and I had to install a tiny piece of tube to keep the ramp attached.

GI Joe KIller Whale-DIRTY.jpg

GI Joe KIller Whale RAMP TUBE.jpg

GI Joe KIller Left Back Prop.jpg

GI Joe KIller Whale Right Back Prop.jpg

GI Joe KIller Whale-BACK.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,144 posts
15 minutes ago, lordisam said:

The Whale was my favorite too!  Don't have a Terrordrome or the FLAGG.  (YET!!)

While my WHALE is missing some stickers, and I had to jerry rig some the back propeller and vanes to stay in place.  I had to eBay missing pieces.  I could have just bought a new one, but I loved the project of repairing and restoring my old childhood whale.  See if you can spot differences with the before/after.  (The "before" also had the front ramp completely detached, and I had to install a tiny piece of tube to keep the ramp attached.

GI Joe KIller Whale-DIRTY.jpg

GI Joe KIller Whale RAMP TUBE.jpg

GI Joe KIller Left Back Prop.jpg

GI Joe KIller Whale Right Back Prop.jpg

GI Joe KIller Whale-BACK.jpg

That's awesome, I love resto projects! You've definitely put in the work there!  I see lots of differences. Doyou have the bike and the depth charges too?

I actually started restoring a Whale several years ago myself. I eventually got (through eBay and message board trades) everything except the vanes. Unbroken sets were selling for about $30-$40, and I just couldn't pull the trigger. Ended up selling what I'd put together up to that point, figuring I'd just buy a complete one eventually. Back then (this was mid-2000's, I guess?) you could still get a complete Whale for around $100 or so. Nowadays I think they run closer to $300? Should have bit the bullet and just bought the vanes. Oh well, live and learn.

I know I've told this story on the boards before, but I bought a Flagg at the LCS I was working at back around 1996-97 for $30. It was missing a lot of the little stuff, but otherwise it was in nice shape and included a box that was beat to hell, but the front cover art was perfect. When I moved out of my folks' place  I ended up selling it to one of my oldest friends for about $50, because I didn't have any place to keep it anymore. I could kick myself now, naturally, but honestly he deserves it. He cleaned that thing tip to tail with a toothbrush, printed new decals, and tracked down every single part for it. The only thing he's still missing to this day is a battery compartment cover for the microphone.

Anyway, I'm all about Joe resto photos, bring 'em on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,963 posts
On 5/1/2017 at 11:02 PM, followtheleader said:

Any good toy purchases lately?

I picked up a boxed GI Joe Bridge Layer.  Got it for a birthday.  Glad to have it, but it's about as basic as you can get. 


Patrick

The bridge layer is one of my "had it as a kid, gotta find one in a nice box" targets. You're right...it is super basic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,144 posts
1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

The bridge layer is one of my "had it as a kid, gotta find one in a nice box" targets. You're right...it is super basic!

The thing I love about the bridge layer, and most of the early Joe vehicles, is that they were based on things that actually existed. Like, real military hardware, or at least prototypes. Before it all got dayglo and strange. At our state fair every year, the armed forces would have a big display at the front entrance, and they always had a bridge-layer up front, with the bridge section sitting high up into the sky. It seemed enormous as a kid, and because of the Joe connection, SO COOOOOOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
95 posts
2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

That's awesome, I love resto projects! You've definitely put in the work there!  I see lots of differences. Doyou have the bike and the depth charges too?

I actually started restoring a Whale several years ago myself. I eventually got (through eBay and message board trades) everything except the vanes. Unbroken sets were selling for about $30-$40, and I just couldn't pull the trigger. Ended up selling what I'd put together up to that point, figuring I'd just buy a complete one eventually. Back then (this was mid-2000's, I guess?) you could still get a complete Whale for around $100 or so. Nowadays I think they run closer to $300? Should have bit the bullet and just bought the vanes. Oh well, live and learn.

I know I've told this story on the boards before, but I bought a Flagg at the LCS I was working at back around 1996-97 for $30. It was missing a lot of the little stuff, but otherwise it was in nice shape and included a box that was beat to hell, but the front cover art was perfect. When I moved out of my folks' place  I ended up selling it to one of my oldest friends for about $50, because I didn't have any place to keep it anymore. I could kick myself now, naturally, but honestly he deserves it. He cleaned that thing tip to tail with a toothbrush, printed new decals, and tracked down every single part for it. The only thing he's still missing to this day is a battery compartment cover for the microphone.

Anyway, I'm all about Joe resto photos, bring 'em on!

Got the bike and depth charges!  Missing the recon sled and some stickers.  Your friend is a lucky so and so to take the FLAGG off your hands!

GI Joe Killer Whale Bike1.jpg

GI Joe Killer Whale Bike2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,144 posts
5 hours ago, lordisam said:

Got the bike and depth charges!  Missing the recon sled and some stickers.  Your friend is a lucky so and so to take the FLAGG off your hands!

GI Joe Killer Whale Bike1.jpg

GI Joe Killer Whale Bike2.jpg

Awesome!

Yeah, he's lucky, but between the two of us, he deserves it. I dabble in Joes, but his house is practically a Joe museum. He has pretty much every figure, including all of the foreign Tiger Force, Night Force, etc. I think the only one he's missing is the Gold Steel Brigade figure. If I still had the Flagg it would be in a box in my laundry room, but he has it out on display. I feel like I gave my baby up for adoption, but it was in its best interest!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,418 posts

The Whale has to be in my top three favorite toys to play with as a kid. 

Based on that and how it's aged well, it's still one of my favorite toys of all-time.  

Patrick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
95 posts
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, followtheleader said:

The Whale has to be in my top three favorite toys to play with as a kid. 

Based on that and how it's aged well, it's still one of my favorite toys of all-time.  

Patrick

My WHALE was my favorite (along with the Cobra MORAY hydrofoil), as evidenced by the immense wear and tear.  Also for such a large, sturdy looking piece, it is surprisingly fragile.  The vanes, and guns are easy to break.  By contrast, my Cobra MORAY hydrofoil was nearly the same age, and barely shows any wear at all, even though as a kid those two pieces had countless epic battles.

Edited by lordisam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
95 posts
4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Awesome!

Yeah, he's lucky, but between the two of us, he deserves it. I dabble in Joes, but his house is practically a Joe museum. He has pretty much every figure, including all of the foreign Tiger Force, Night Force, etc. I think the only one he's missing is the Gold Steel Brigade figure. If I still had the Flagg it would be in a box in my laundry room, but he has it out on display. I feel like I gave my baby up for adoption, but it was in its best interest!

So cool!  I don't have Tiger or Night Force.  But I do have this sweet Python Patrol ASP!

GI Joe Python ASP.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
358 posts
13 hours ago, F For Fake said:

The thing I love about the bridge layer, and most of the early Joe vehicles, is that they were based on things that actually existed. Like, real military hardware, or at least prototypes. Before it all got dayglo and strange.

So true. I think G.I. Joe lost me after the movie. That's when it started to get crazy. When they tried to change stuff up for reasons I don't know. Maybe they were after the market or under threat from another toy line? But I read that they wanted to kill Duke. They changed Cobra Commander, which was kind of scary, until they changed him back with that silver armor. The new Joes were all kind of strange and more kid friendly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,144 posts
9 hours ago, followtheleader said:

The Whale has to be in my top three favorite toys to play with as a kid. 

Based on that and how it's aged well, it's still one of my favorite toys of all-time.  

Patrick

It really is great! It's a huge vehicle, but it's so large and has so many accessories it really doubles as a playset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,144 posts
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

So true. I think G.I. Joe lost me after the movie. That's when it started to get crazy. When they tried to change stuff up for reasons I don't know. Maybe they were after the market or under threat from another toy line? But I read that they wanted to kill Duke. They changed Cobra Commander, which was kind of scary, until they changed him back with that silver armor. The new Joes were all kind of strange and more kid friendly.

On one hand I always dug how GI Joe sort of absorbed a lot of the 80's zeitgeist. When Ninjas were everywhere, GI Joe added ninjas. Mad Max? Here are the Dreadnoks. Everyone loves wrestling? Well guess what, Sgt Slaughter is a Joe now. Everyone is swept up in Chicago Bears Super Bowl fever? Enjoy William "The Refrigerator" Perry, for some reason.  They were even supposed to add Rocky Balboa to the line at some point, I believe, and that would have made sense in the context of everything else they were doing.

And I could handle all of that. But I agree, after the movie, the introduction of "Cobra La" seemed to open the floodgates to an array of neon outfits and strangeness that went just a little too far. I think there's a sweet spot for Joes that is just this side of sci-fi military adventure, but they eventually tipped the scales in the wrong direction.

Edited by F For Fake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
5 5