• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kick Azz Toys From Your Childhood...
1 1

964 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, lordisam said:

My WHALE was my favorite (along with the Cobra MORAY hydrofoil), as evidenced by the immense wear and tear.  Also for such a large, sturdy looking piece, it is surprisingly fragile.  The vanes, and guns are easy to break.  By contrast, my Cobra MORAY hydrofoil was nearly the same age, and barely shows any wear at all, even though as a kid those two pieces had countless epic battles.

I'm surprised to hear you say that about the Moray. 

I'm almost scared to own it (one of my more recent acquisitions from the Joe line).  

The long guns on the side seem like they can snap.  And those little awesome guns in the back deck seem to break the post inside the toy (making it hard to remove). 

For the Whale, most people know the vanes are a nightmare (hence the high prices).  But those darn missile arms can be a super pain when broken.  Trying to remove them can damage the whale itself and nearly always damages the arm itself. 

Patrick 

1 hour ago, followtheleader said:

I'm surprised to hear you say that about the Moray. 

I'm almost scared to own it (one of my more recent acquisitions from the Joe line).  

The long guns on the side seem like they can snap.  And those little awesome guns in the back deck seem to break the post inside the toy (making it hard to remove). 

For the Whale, most people know the vanes are a nightmare (hence the high prices).  But those darn missile arms can be a super pain when broken.  Trying to remove them can damage the whale itself and nearly always damages the arm itself. 

Patrick 

I restored a Moray in the last year, and normally the tough piece is the searchlight lens. There are several repro options, but the real thing is pricey. My aforementioned buddy had three in his box of extras (he used to buy big collections and amassed a ton of bits and pieces to use as trade bait) so he gave me one. That was a lucky break. Otherwise, yes, I think the toughest/priciest pieces were the set of four rear machine guns. The easiest to break piece is the pop up missile rack. Those thin pieces break all of the time. But honestly, it's such a COOL vehicle, it's worth the hassle!

On 3/29/2019 at 7:58 AM, F For Fake said:

On one hand I always dug how GI Joe sort of absorbed a lot of the 80's zeitgeist. When Ninjas were everywhere, GI Joe added ninjas. Mad Max? Here are the Dreadnoks. Everyone loves wrestling? Well guess what, Sgt Slaughter is a Joe now. Everyone is swept up in Chicago Bears Super Bowl fever? Enjoy William "The Refrigerator" Perry, for some reason.  They were even supposed to add Rocky Balboa to the line at some point, I believe, and that would have made sense in the context of everything else they were doing.

And I could handle all of that. But I agree, after the movie, the introduction of "Cobra La" seemed to open the floodgates to an array of neon outfits and strangeness that went just a little too far. I think there's a sweet spot for Joes that is just this side of sci-fi military adventure, but they eventually tipped the scales in the wrong direction.

I didn't know the Dreadnoks were a reference to Max Mad. But back then I only saw parts of the second one and Thunderdome. Zartan was cool though. I remember the commercial and that he could change color. I still have my original figure and swamp vehicle.

I didn't know Sgt Slaughter was a wrestler either back then. I don't think he was in WWF. And I only knew a bit about that. I hated the whole sports player into G.I. Joe. They had Big Lob too who was funny but also kind of silly compared to the more realistic joes. I like how angry Beachhead was during that training scene. I think there was another football player who was part of Sgt Slaughter's team in the movie. Kicked out of the NFL for being too rough or something like that. I agree that they went too far. I'm going to get back into the G.I. Joe comics eventually. I got one of the IDW comics some years ago. I think the story was so so. But I was going to finish the first story. The #1 cover was cool, I think it was a Dell'otto.